Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chriropractic care after surgery????

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone. I had a microdiscectomy L5/S1 3 months ago. Last week I was in a car wreck. A teenager rear ended me going 50 mph while I was stopped. I'm seeing a chiropractor for my neck, but he adjusted my back today too...I was NERVOUS about that. Then I had some tail bone pain afterwards. Should I stop having him adjust things other than my neck??? I dont know what to do! I'm so miserable because I hurt but I'm scared to death that a chiropractor will make it worse. My surgeon wants to see me back in a few weeks. Any info on this would be very helpful! Thanks.

advertisement

Comments

• I was wondering about that too-I would talk to the surgeon. I have neck problems so I need a chiro but I am terrified about ever getting my back adjusted again.
  • Did you get your back and neck checked after the accident? Any xrays or new MRI? I would think the chiro wouldn't want to adjust someone who was only a few months post-op. I had lumbar fusion and I am dying to get my neck adjusted, but I figure my NS wouldn't approve and chiro would not want to touch me. I haven't asked though. For now I am trying to get my NS to approve massage therapy, and he still has not called me back yet. Good-luck, Sue
  • Hi K:

I am sorry to hear about your accident and the pain you are feeling. I think I would tell the chiropractor not to touch my back. It would probably be best to see your surgeon right away to make sure every thing is OK with your back.

Ellen
  • I am sorry to hear about your accident. I was rear ended 3 years ago. Pain for three years. In my opinion,I would never let a chiro adjust my neck. If you google it you will see that it can cause strokes. I just read an artical in Womens Journal about a 26 yr. old who had a neck adjustment by a chiro and had a stroke. I would be very careful. The Chiro made my neck much much worse and now I have an artificial disc level C 5-6. They could cause a lot of damage if you have disc damage. Maybe you should get x rays or MRI first to make sure. It could also be soft tissue damage, in that case a chiro couldn't help, IMO.
    Good luck to you in your decision..
  • I wouldn't go to a chiropractor at all!!! When I started going for my back (before I actually knew what was wrong with it other than DDD). It made me so much worse, I couldn't hardly get out of the bed in the morning or walk.

Then I started going to a PT & it felt a lot better for a while.

You could maybe use some warm or cold compresses until your dr appt.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Kristie
  • after my first injury at work..in 1991 with my neck I went to the chiro the same nite..he adjusted my neck without any testing. as the pain worsened i went to an othro..who sent for MRI, which showed herniations. from what I understand there should be no adjustment (cracking of the neck) when there are herniations present. I could be wrong, but I would see the ortho or surgeon first. be well. donna
advertisement