Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PAIN BETWEEN SHOULDER BLADES??WILL IT GO AWAY AFTER SURGERY?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi guys

well, i decided to go ahead with the surgery. but i really need to know if the pain b/t my shoulder blades which is fairly new-will go away after the surgery. i had a thoracic MRI which indicates very very mild bulging...

has anyone had that pain that went away after surgery?

also, when were you able to drive again? and exercise?

thanks guys!
dee
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Dee,

I can only speak for myself but after my surgery the shoulder pain I had was not present when I woke up. I wish you the best.

Rob
  • Hi Dee,

I can only speak for myself but after my surgery the shoulder pain I had was not present when I woke up. I wish you the best.

Rob
  • Dee,
    In my case I was able to drive about 4 weeks after surgery, PT started about 6 weeks after my Nov ACDF. Good luck with your upcomming surgery.

mark
  • My shoulder pain went away after surgery ,but returned again about 6-8 weeks after surgery after I started to drive.
  • My shoulder pain was gone the second I opened my eyes in recovery-I was so excited to have it gone! Surgery for me was 2 1/2 weeks ago. I occasionally get a muscle spasm there, but they aren't nearly as bad as the constant pain I had before, and they are brief. Muscle relaxers help a ton-if you can stay awake!
    Good luck!
    Kim in Cincinnati
  • best of luck with the surgery! the stabbing between my shoulder blades was my worst pain, and it was gone immediately. I am still dealing with muscular pain, but nothing was as bad as the stabbing, and for that alone, I am glad I had the surgery.

as for driving, that took me almost four months, and I still don't like it very much at seven months, since I can't turn my head well to the right. but at least I'm at a point where I can sit in a car comfortably. hopefully I'm an outlier and you'll be more mobile.
  • when you guys say shoulder was gone, i just want to be sure you meant the pain in between the back of the shoulders like on your spine??

chicagogal, thank you SO much. i'm not getting a straight answer from my doctor about that thoracic pain. one doctor said it wasn't related to the neck, the other said yes, and the other didn't know. it's SO FRUSTRATING when you can't get a straight answer. so......did you ever have an MRI of your thoracic spine? my pain in between my should blades is THE WORST PAIN for me too!!! OMG...i would do the surgery just for that too if i could get A STRAIGHT ANSWER from my doctor.
  • sorry one more thing. was the pain like on your spine? does it feel like you want to crack it? when you breathe does it crack? do you have probems sleeping? it feels like really bad arthritis to me...i wouldn't say stabbing like a muscle spasm. so i'm worried it won't go away!!!
  • That is exactly how I woulddescribe my pain between the shoulder blades as bad arthritis pain .I am 9 weeks post-op& when I over do things the pain comes back. For the 1st 2 weeks after surgery I didn't have this pain, but as I started to do more things it started again. It is not constant as it was before surgery or as painful .
  • D, I think it is important to note that typically neck related pain between your shoulder blade is more right along the scapula area, not on the spine. At least that is what I have been told and read about. But, I'm wondering if your neck problems are causing you to tense up and that is pulling your thoracic spine out of alignment, causing the bad pain. Neck problems can cause really tight rhomboids and traps which can then create other pains, which may be what you are feeling.

For me, the really intense burning/stabbing pain was right along the scapula and also down my arm. Immediately post op that pain was gone. If protruding discs or bone spurs are compressing a nerve root, theoretically decompressing that nerve root should reduce the pain.

Doctors are very hesitant to say that surgery will get rid of your pain, so they don't give definitive answers. This makes it really hard to decide what to do. I wish you the best in making yoru deision.

Cindy

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • i have only muscles tightness all around the scapula and rhomboids, but it does look like the rhomboids go to the spine so i'm hoping that's what it is. i will be so pissed if that pain doesn't go away.
advertisement