Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question about post op care

gar0262ggar0262 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a question about post op care. I will be having surgery this coming Monday, and will be in the hospital for 2 days,so I should be coming home on Wednesday. My question is: how much help will I need that weekend? My husband works weekends, 12 hour shifts. He seems to think I should be okay by myself while he is at work, and I feel like I will be needing quite a bit of help yet. A friend of mine has offered to help me for the weekend, but it would be at her place instead of at home. I know that sounds crazy, and ya'll are wondering why she couldn't do it at my place. We live a good 1 1/2 hrs apart so it's not like she can just drop by. Our youngest son lives with us and I know he will help a little but I can't rely on him to help me with everything, plus he will have his 2 kids for the weekend. Also, since I've been off work, his daughter,(my grand daughter) who is 14 mos old, has attached herself to me like a shadow, which is gonna be hard for her and me after surgery with not being able to pick her up or do much with her. So any advice, suggestions, or post op experiences are welcomed
advertisement

Comments

• Hey there...
    Refresh my memory on what type of surgery your going to have??

It is my personal opinion that I would be most comfortable in my own home. But then the opportunity to have someone to help is really a must have. The thing that is concerning is would you have to make the 1 1/2 hour trip in a car to your friends place after surgery?
    What does your surgeon think about this plan.

I just had ACDF 2 levels c 4-5 5-6 and My Mom lives 2 1/2 hours from my home. She actually came here to take care of me afterwards and I really did need her 24-7. I am a 38 year old woman, I have no kids and live alone with my cats..lol.

There would have been NO way I would have been able to ride in the car to her home. She lives over a mountain windy road, but even if it was a flat straight drive I am sure that every bump would have been to much.

I am so concerned for you. Do you think that your insurance might be able to send you to a rehabilatation center for the first 5 days or so post op? I know this is costly and really far fetched. Maybe a home CNA to be there the 12 hours your hubby is not!

I know that I did not have the where-with-all to figure out when to take meds on time, or to helo me move on the bed or get to the potty.

I am hoping that some others will comment to your post. I know this has to be alot of stress for you with surgery right around the corner. Please feel free to PM me and we can even e-mail and try to get things figured out.

I would say the first place to start would be to get on the phone first thing with your surgeon and tell then your very concerned! Is there anyway at all your hubby's job could compromise with the amount of hours he works or a split shift??
    How far away does he work from your home? Is there a neighbor that your close with or a church member or someone from one of your childrens school that might help??

Here to help as much as I can....
    Chrissy
  • I did fine after my fusion last year. We came home on Thursday. Hubby had no time at work and well I pretty much did it all on my own.
    Everything was left at waist level for me.
    I had all my meds, phone, remote, laptop you name it on the coffee table as the couch was the best place for me to be.

But everyone is different. See how you do when you come home the first day.
    I would say traveling to your friends house to stay would mabye be uncomfy for you. I was much more relaxed when I walked through my front door with all my own things.
    Just take things slow. Rest Rest Rest and do your walking, as much as your body allows without making yourself sore. walking. Especially if your son is there, you all can go out for a walk.

Of course this is all up to you and how your feeling.
    HANG IN THERE SWEETIE..
    Terri
  • Hi and thanks for all the comments & suggestions so far. I will be having a laminectomy with PLIF. Yes, I would have to travel by car to her place and yes I have been thinking that it could be a painful ride :( My husband has only been at this job for about 4 months, so time off for him isn't real probable. And yes, being in your own home is much more comfortable I agree. In the mean time since I posted this earlier, I've been thinking about it, and realized that if I still really need any help I could always go to my mother in laws place, which is only about 5 minutes away, although she don't have internet, and I would go bonkers without it. 8} I appreciate my friends offer, as she is a dear and special friend, who is even taking a day of vacation to be at hospital with my husband on day of surgery.
  • Just wait and see hun like I mentioned.
    My hubby had no time left either. And personally I did not want anyone near me. I just wanted to sleep which I did alot of, and walk when I could after I got home.
    He has no time this year either cause well because of me its ALL GONE :O :*

Some people do end up needing help. Some of us not.
    Of course we are all unique individuals.
    I had no issues with stairs, bathroom etc. I waited for hubby for the first week after home for showers etc.
    The legs well the heck with it. I will look like a ape. Its to darn hard and wears u out }:) ~X( =))

My challange for this surgery is getting up in the BIG TRUCK on the way home trip!! :? Should be interesting if that!! Getting up will be ok its getting back down when we pull in. :?
    Will have my pillows and garbage bag ready <:P
  • I managed fairly well on my own too (although I wonder if my 9 day hospital stay made a bit of difference :? ) - I preferred being on my own at home actually. My DH is in Iraq - no help from him :P

I did have a home health nurse check on me the second day home and my parents were 15 minutes away if I needed them.

If you just keep things at waist level, have a few things around you for occupying your time (if you are even awake) and prepared meals - you could do fairly well on your own. Oh, and make sure you have a cell phone real close by, in case of any emergencies and for him to call you and check up on how you are doing of course :)
  • Hello again,
    Once again, thanks for all the comments and suggestions, after reading thru them I will probably keep my butt at home, cuz as we all know it is more comfortable in our on space. If I do need to have some help, as I said I will have him take me to his Mom's place. My brother in law and his wife will also be there for the weekend, and she is a nurse, so that would be great if needed.
  • I had PLIF on the 21st of August, spent 5 days in the hospital and was home alone after that. As others have said, keeping meds close by, a reacher, raises toliet seat with bars and plates of food prepared in the fridge was really helpful. I also have my disabled brother living with me, so I needed to prepare his meals as well. My husband helped with showers in the evening and kids refilled my snacks and drinks when they got home from school.

2 days seems quick to go home, based on how I felt. I felt comfortable going home by the afternoon of the 4th day, but I stayed the extra day just to be sure. I didnt need any help getting up and down at that point.

Be honest with your doctor and PT, if you feel you are not up to being alone. At the least I feel you should be able to safely get up from the bed/couch/toilet independentley before they send you home.

Best of luck on Monday,
    Shell
advertisement