Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks post op fusion update

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Its six weeks post surgery today L 4 l5 s1 fusion . Had my
Dr visit and x ray yesterday. looks like fusion or bone growing around the area. So hopefuly I on my way to going back to work.
i don't know how to bump the old thread up so I'll do a update for anyone considering surgery .
Had fusion last wk of july 08 . Had 2 days in Hosp with bad pain at site upon awaking .morfine whenever i could get it. Went home and for 2 days I took percocet every 3 or 4 hrs and slept . On the 5th i stopped drugs and began the walking . Found that I had instant relief from nerve pain that had ran down my leg prior to surgery .By day 10 i had no pain at all, was walking up to 5 mi a day felt like I was 21 again for awhile. I guess I had been in so much pain for so long my body was still pumping out endorphins . Had trouble sleeping so they gave me zanax which helps . Week 4 noticed 2 bumps on incision ,went to the doc and found that I had infection from some of the desolving stiches that didn't desolve . Had to go to doc every day for past 2 weeks to clean and dress it along with antibiotic..never got out of hand and was cleared this past monday .So watch your incision and call the doc fast ! I began to feel some discomfort at the surgery site in the last 3 wks like a normal person ,but nothing like what I lived with before surgery just sore not bad . I guess its delayed action with me ! Still walking 3 to 5 have to continue to wear plastic brace whenever Im up .allowed to do a little more around the house ,can now go to hot tub or pool and drive the lawn tractor .No vaccum or push mower .Ask if I can get PT ,But not allowed yet
Doc said we might be able to talk about work and PT next on visit 1 month from now .So far its going very well for me .I hope this gives someone thats going for surgery some hope for a pain free future . Seamoose
advertisement

Comments

• Sounds like your doing AWESOME!! =D> =D>
    Besides your set back with the infection which of course can happen to anyone.
    That is one thing I cleaned and checked everyday.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It certainly will help others recovering and go in for surgery!!!!!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!
    >:D< =D> ;)
  • Congrats!! It's great to hear that you are doing so well. You make me jealous lol. No pain meds and walking 3 to 5 miles a day!!! Keep up the good work!! =D>
  • I had my 6 week yesterday too and the doctor saw signs of fusion too. However, I've only been walking 2 miles a day so I better step it up if I want to catch up to you.
  • I forgot to thank everyone here that had helped answer questions i had . Thanks Seamoose
    Oh !Is it time to start looking to replace the Harley I sold to finance this ?????? I didn't have the nerve to ask the Doc . Also had the wife sitting next to me giving me the look when I asked when I can start weight lifting again. Almost turned me to stone ,Didn't want to push my luck !!!! Seamoose
  • hello! Congratulations on your improvement, glad you got a handle on the incision infection quickly!
    today is my six week mark..I do not get x-rays for another 2 weeks..hoping there is beginning of fusion. I am very concerned about returning to work. I am a special ed teacher and the class I was given this year is tought (so much for " I will help you anyway I can" from my principal). I walk about one mile a day...give or take since I find when I did more I was exhausted.
    Keep up the good work!
  • My two jobs had me on my feet all day plus going up and down 3 floors of steps 3 or 4 times a day to the roof. I worked up to the day of surgery (I could walk if i bent over ) So i'm used to a lot of walking and climbing ladders and steps . Please don't kill yourself trying to walk as far . Also I was working and going to school at night for the last 3 years (barely knew what day it was)so I'm going completly nuts with all this time on my hands . When I walk I'm doing it quite leasurely (should learn how to spell)not like I'm getting any cardio out of it.Its all I have been allowed to do so its been all I do all day . I found that the surgery took a lot of steam out of me but I've never been able to just lay around . I'm a very hiper person I have to be doing something all the time so I walk .I have also found that I can't sit more than 15 or 20 min. any more the back will start hirting . I have to lay down or stand so I walk . I don't think the distance is important they just seem to want you on your feet as much as you can be .
advertisement