Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Calcified disc T7-T8

angelaangel Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi guys,
An occupational health doc assessing me for my work, explained to me today that I have a calcified disc at T7-T8, and that this is the damage I did when I fell and injured my back as a child.
Please can one of you good people explain to me what this means?

thanks guys

angel O:)
advertisement

Comments

• Hi and Welcome.

I have the same thing only mine are from T4 to T10. The jelly that comes out of the disc when you first hurt it over time become hard like bone. Mine is abutted the cord and I also have cord compression. I too waited way to long to see a doc and I have to live with the pain forever because they won't fix it now.

Some things that help.
    Lay down for fifteen min. when you get spasms.

I just went on Cymbalta. Will let you know how that is.

Ice the area. Go to a medical store and buy the jelly cold packs and freeze. They have big ones for the thoracic area.

Lay on whole or half roll of foam.

Deep tissue masagge.

When I wake up I sit in bed and bend over to my toes strecht it out.

Ron has great advice on this.

Don't overdo is my best advice.

Hope you feel better! Lois :H

• I too had a calicified disc at T7 and 8 and didn't know it, however, I had been experiencing numbness in my legs off and on for 5 years before a neuurologist diagnosed it with an MRI. I had been seeing a chiropractor for about 4 years prior to that but the xrays he was taking did not show this problem. I don't even know how I injured my back, but it must have been many years ago, possibly as a child. This ruptured disc had caused severe spinal compression with permanent damage. Two weeks after diagnosis, I had spinal fusion surgery to prevent paralysis. The surgery was successful but I still have some numb feelings in one leg and foot. I am 51 years old and was very active prior to the diagnosis.

Good luck with all of your treatments.
  • Hi
    I had the same with my T8-T9 disc which was discovered this year after my legs gave way.
    I saw a neurosurgeon immediately as xrays showed nothing, it was the MRI that showed the cord compression and the CT scan showed calcification.
    I had surgery on sept 5 and sept 14 this year which was intense due to the location. It was a transthoracic removal of the disc going through the chest, removing a rib, moving the heart and collapsing the lungs. It was essential to prevent paralysis.
    I am now 2 months post op and am able to walk again with the aid of crutches and wheel chair on long days. Physio is building the strength after 6 wks in a hosp bed.
    My wound and chest drain wounds have healed and its only a matter of hard work and time now hopefully. I still have numbness in my left leg and very restless leg feeling which keeps me awake a lot, hopefully this will settle in time as the body took a severe beating through the surgery.
    Im seeing my surgeon on the 23 Nov so hoping he has good news about the surgery and prognosis.
    Caroline

T8 - T9 Calcified Thoracic Disc
  • can someone please post the picture of their calcificated disc...im so interesed about how this looks on thoracic,since my t6 t7 disc,shows something white, going towards the spinal cord. thank you :)
  • I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • Hello
    I can relate to the stories in this forum. I was diagnosed with a herniated calcified disc in 2011. I was refered to a nuerosurgeon who told me that the symptons that I was have indicated that even if I did have the disc removed I would stil be in pain for the rest of my life because the nerve in my spine was already badly damaged and if I did have the surgery I may die during the surgery and if I didn't I would definitely would be parallyzed afterwards, if I didn't have the surgery I would eventually be parallyzed. My inside of my legs and feet feels like sum on set me on fire on the inside and if any thing such as lotion and the air makes the outside sting. I have found no relief I've tried over a 100 different pain and nerve medications since this all started in 1999 nothing works. This has drastically changed my life I am no longer able to leave the house because the pain is so bad that I can't stand or sit for more than 1 min. Is there any one who can give me a name of a doctor that I can see that can help relieve sum of the pain and burning I'm suffering with.
    Deal n with the pain

• I am so sorry that you are suffering so much.
    Thoracic spine pain is horrid to deal with. The surgery is very difficult to carry out and very difficult, painful and long to recovery from. Many spinal surgeons won't touch it.

Have you tried epidural injections to see if they will help with the pain? I have two herniated discs that are compressing my cord slightly in my thoracic spine. My surgeon says that he is not suggesting surgery because it is not an easy one and I would be in more pain that I am at the moment from it. He said we can try injections to see if they will help. At the moment, I am coping so I have not tried them yet.

I do think that you need to get another opinion from a spinal surgeon who regularly does thoracic surgery.

We are not allowed to name doctors on this forum, but if you post the general area where you are, someone may send you a recommendation of a doctor in a Private Message.

I really hope that someone will be able to help you so that you can have a more active and less painful life.

I hope that you will find talking to others here who have similar problems to you will be supportive and helpful :-)

advertisement