Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie On Board

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Depression and Coping
Hiya! I stumbled upon this site looking for some suggestions. My husband has a long history of back pain. Things started after a fall down some steel stairs at work (ouch) back in 1995. Herniated L3 and S1, ruptured L4/5 on both sides. Had fusion a few years later with rods and screws and returned to a factory job w/ repetive motion. Did well for a while - (got almost seven years out of it so we were pretty greatful) - but the pain got worse. Re-herniated at the surgical site and herniated T10-11. Any how, we have 3 kids and I left my nursing job for a much lower paying job doing data entry for an atty. (Worth it though - I am always at home so if it's a bad day no worries.) After trying lots of pain meds and therapy we pretty much are just using motrin (occassional lortab on super bad days) and the chiropractor as having another surgery is not peaking any interests. I am actually looking for suggestions on how to help with the depression. My hubby is a hard worker and to be this way is hard on him emotionally. To see me working so much and doing a lot of the house hold stuff on top of it is tough for him and I wish his pain was more managable so he could hold even a part time job. But I am sure you all know how unreliable a back injury makes you in the work force. Any suggestions to help him feel "manly" again. I have been trying to come up with stuff but am at a loss. Thanks for taking the time to read and responses are greatly appreciated. :H
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are so terrific to be standing by your husband as you are. i cannot tell you what it means to have that support!! i could not function without the help of my husband!! i am sorry he is so down and depressed. perhaps if he had some contact with the board he would feel better. he could talk to those of us who feel as he does. believe me, man or woman, it is hard to see your spouse picking up the pieces while you sit on the sidelines!! :''( i know some others will stop by and give you some ideas!! good luck and please don't give up!! Jenny :)
  • Has your husband given any thought to going to school to get training for another field of work? A year ago I started school for training, to be able to do a non-physical job. Am getting quite a bit of help paying for it too. If driving and sitting for too long is too much for him to handle, there are plenty of online accredited colleges as well. This would keep him busy, make him feel like hes accomplishing something, and give him something to look forward to in the future.
  • I have to agree. Mabye training in another field. Bruce hit that nail on the head. I know it sounds difficult now esepcieally after doing the same job for years as you know personally.
    Sometimes a bit tuffer for men as alot of them are used to strenous work.
    Great plus the surgery worked for that long. That is sometimes the "norm" for fusions to hold up. (per my dr anyway)
    Has he had a new MRI to see what's going on. Pain managment etc?? Is it possible other disks have hernaited from the stress of the orginal fusion. Which happens on occasion.
    Would love to see you get back to your nursing carrer at somepoint, as I imagine it was your passion.
    I have the most " =D> =D> =D> " for nurses!! THEY ROCK!!!
    That is also my passion, but was unable to fullfill that dream it was cut short due to health problems.

Sounds like you have a "strong" family. KEEP GOING, never give up hope. Both of your "times" will come. May not be tomorrow or even next week. But it will come.

We are all here for you as a lot of us live your life.
    Your family is not alone in this battle.
    As you can see by my sig at the bottom!!!

Lots of hugs and hopes.
    Terri O:) >:D< >:D<