Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

General Questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok I am now going to ask some questions to see if anyone can tell me something. How long is it going to take for the swelling to go down in my neck? It still feels swelled up. I feel worse in the morning waking up because I am sure I sleep weird. Does anyone else have the problem the more you talk the worse it swells up? It is like first thing in the morning when I wake up I feel like crap and then at night before bed I feel exhausted and my neck hurts, is this normal? How long will the doctors let me stay on muscle relaxants? I am 3 weeks po and I see the NS on the 19. I do not feel like calling them because I do not want to seem like a bother. Ok here are some more questions, I get really hot when I eat. Kind of like a hot flash is it because of the Soma? Also is anyone getting like heart burn? Sometimes when I eat I get a burning sensation in my throat that wont go away. I have been drinking lots of milk to try to stop it and eating very bland food. Any subjections to these question will be greatly appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• Your surgery is still very recent and I would just take it easy. As far as taking muscle relaxers not sure what dose you are taking but i would think your surgeon is more comfortable with the muscle relaxers versus pain killers. The throat problem can take a bit to go away and each person is different. I would try to drink more water and see if that doesn't help some and stay away from carbonated beverages. I would write all your concerns down so when you see the surgeon you are sure not to leave anything out. I see your in a collar and wonder if your sleeping in at night. Without my brace at night i wake up worse and really stiff from more than likely a weird position when trying to sleep. The most important part i think is to measure your success by the week and not by the day. Although the incision may be healing it takes time for the rest. Be patient and in time it will come. Keep us posted on what the surgeon says on the 19th.
  • I am 8 weeks out from ACDF - I had problems with gastric reflux for several weeks after surgery. My doctor said it would go away and it has. Hang in there.
  • i'm in my fourth month post op and my incision is still itching now and then so it does a while to heal completely
    :O
  • You need to take OTC med's for the heartburn. Prilosec is wonderful and has changed my life! I couldn't live without it, seriously. Try it, you'll like it!
    Good luck and get well soon,
    Jewels
  • I was told I might have some swelling in my throat after surgery, so how better to reduce swelling then with ice, I ate a lot of slush pops or popsicles for about a month after my surgery, and now I don't seem to have any problems at all with my throat, you may also want to try an ice pack on your neck for the outside issues. It helped me a lot. As for the heartburn, I take prilosec otc daily and it helps a great deal. I can't help with the hot flashes, never had that.
  • My ADCF was Aug. 26, 4 thru 7. I also got the hot flashes when eating! Could it be the drugs? No problem with heartburn, but my stylish Aspen collar gets soaked! I was on Percocet, but recently switched to OTC Tylenol Arthritis formula and sweating seems to be a lot less. I may have a high threshold for pain, but it's really not as bad as I thought it would be - the Tylenol does fine. I still take one Percocet at night. I can feel my hands again! Got aches in neck now - like maybe someone's been digging on my neck bones.....I assume that will subside. Can't wait to get rid of bandage! Incision not swollen, but the tape sure irritates my skin.
advertisement