Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Restrictions following PLIF

Shell74SShell74 Posts: 299
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was given the following restrictions after surgery as well as wearing a TSLO brace (only while up not in bed). No bending, lifting over 5 pounds, twisting, sitting four 20 minute periods per day, always lay flat or log roll to the side, walk as much as you want while wearing brace.

They seem pretty typically from all of the searchs I have done. Now that I am feeling better I have found myself waking up in positions that I shouldnt be in (twisted and curled up). I put a call in to the PA because I seem to be more sore in the morning since I have been rolling around during the night, just wanted to get the thoughts of others. What do you do at night?

Thanks all.
advertisement

Comments

• I had the same problem a few times during my recovery. I would wake up on my tummy when I wasn't suppose to. I put pillows along both sides of me and it did help me not to roll over.

Good luck!!
  • Hi Shell:

I don't know if you are sore in the morning because of your sleeping position or because you have just been sleeping. I had a TLIF about a year ago and I had a hospital bed I used while I was recovering. I was quite sore for a while and I found it difficult to "roll". When I went to sleep I was on my back and I stayed that way all night. Your list of DOs and DON'Ts sound pretty typical. The only difference I had was sitting only 10 minutes at a time, and as little sitting as possible for the first 6 weeks. Just don't overdo it, this is a long recovery process.

Ellen
  • pillows, pillows and more pillows ;)
    i kept one underneath my knees, 1 under each arm and of course my head.
    i noticed a body pillow helped to.
    plus i slept on the couch for awhile so it made it even easier only because our bedroom is on the second level, and i was afraid of falling down while on meds.
    but after i got upstairs i did the same thing. it worked well.

good luck hun!! ;)
  • I thought it was great that I could roll back and forth without pain, not to mention sleep thru the night. Guess I just move a bit to much for my own good. I will try going back to pillows tonight.

I lucked out here, I have a bedroom and full bath on the first floor, I am spoiled. When we bought this house I made sure to get those things when we renovated. I would like to live here forever and we arent getting any younger. I just needed a total of 4 steps to get to the porch and in the house.

Thanks a bunch
  • Shell, I was allowed to sleep on my side after the first few days. The PT said to put a pillow under my upper leg to keep from rolling forward.
    I found this really good as I have never been a back sleeper so I would just go ftom side to side.
    After 6 weeks the Surgeon said I could sleep any way I liked even on my tummy as long as my back wasn't twisted and I wasnt in pain. He said if it hurt then move position.

Blessings Sara
  • Sorry had to add lol :))(

Thank goodness Sara brought it up. ;)
    Yes I was allowed to sleep on my side to. Even in the hospy.As long as I kept my torso straight.
    But it was to darn uncomfortable.
    I also am not a back sleeper, and most likely that is way i was up every 2-4 hrs.
    I don't think for myself I could sleep on my side for like over a month.
    Oh gosh I don't remember 8} 8} 8} :D

Everyone is right this is a long recovery.
    Good luck hun!! >:D<

• As with many things, I think the restrictions are dependent on who your doctor is.

My restrictions were (starting the day of surgery), and still are:

No driving
    No bending
    No twisting
    No lifting anything over 3-5 pounds

I have to wear my TSO brace only when walking. The doctor said I do not have to wear it when I walk to the bathroom, and our condo is small enough that it makes no sense to wear it indoors. I do not need to wear the brace when sleeping, either.

I was told I could walk as long as I am comfortable.

For sleeping, I was told I could sleep in any position that was comfortable, as long as my back is straight. This includes laying on my stomach, though I have not done that. I was told to have a pillow under my knees when laying on my back, and between my knees/legs when laying on my side.
  • My restictions are "don't do ANYthing" but walking and reclining.I go to the doc on the 24th-I hope to get more "privilages" then! I have to wear my TLSO brace as long as I am not laying completely flat-for THREE months :(!
  • Yes, I can be on my side with the pillow, if I stay straight in the back. Well I start straight but gradually curl up, even with pillows. I find them all over the place. I think till I here back from the PA I will keep my brace on at night, just because I cant listen

On another note, my grandson was born yesterday at 3:55. His name is Kirby Jenson *****. Everyone is doing well. He is 6 pounds 9 ounces so I guess I did go against a restriction when I held him, lol. However I was careful and let others pick him up. I will try and post a link in a more appropriate area once I figure it out.

Thanks All
  • Hi Shell74

Just wanted to say COngratulations on the new addition - and it will be hard, but not too much lifting and cuddling - although my Dr said I will be able to lift upto 5kg next to my body, as long as arms not outstretched. So you might be ok.

As for sleeping - I'll need to ensure I have enough pillows as I sleep on my side and am always rolling over. However my hip bones ache from the constant pressure - need to eat more candy to pad them out a bit :D
advertisement