Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C6/C7 has LARGE herniation. 2nd epi helping - but is problem fixed??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
That's what I can't figure out. I have been dealin with this neck since 10/07 off and on I have relapses that sends my neck into major spasms and pain goes down neck, arm, shoulder and into hand and middle finger. On MRI it shows a large protrusion with ventral impression on the spinal cord. (doesn't say how much impingement though). Now, I had my 2nd epidural there on Monday. My pain is quite diminished as of today but am wondering if myproblem is FIXED or should I assume this is temporary? I have my 3rd one scheduled for 9/24. My ortho said if these DO NOT work, then he'll refer me to a neurosurgeon which is what I have WANTED since 10/07, but I'm assuming if they DO work, I'm going to be sent off with no further treatment yet AGAIN and then have another horrible, painful episide like the one where I could not lift my head off the pillow in March! Thanks - what do you guys think? Even if my pain is reduced, should I still insist on a neuro consult? Here is my last MRI in 10/07 but since then I have 3 horrible episodes of intense pain. I have had traction, electrical stimulation, PT, and 3 steroid injections, rest and cervical collar I wear intermittently when the pain is intense. Thanks again!

I thought I would just repost my last MRI instead of asking you to search previous posts.

**MRI Cervical Spine without Contrast. The vertebrae are normally aligned. Stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained. Spinal cord is of normal morphology with exception of ventral impression on the cord in the left paramedian location at C6-7 secondary to moderate protrusion of the nucleus pulposus. There is no evidence of tonsillar herniation, and the foramen magnum is normal in appearance. There is mild/moderate broad-based bulging in the disk/endplate complex at C5-6, but this finding does not cause impression on the spinal cord, there is no spinal or foraminal stenosis at this level.

Impression: Significant protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at C6-7, finding is positioned in the left paramedian location and causes mild ventral impression on the spinal cord. It is also possible that this finding may impinge the traversing left C8 root. Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the cervical spine.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Cindylouwho
    My name is Kim-I don't post much, and I don't know for absolute certain, but here is what I DO know. I, too, had a very large herniation @ 6/7. The shots (I had 2) did not help at all, so I wound up having fusion 2 weeks ago. However, a very good friend of mine had a large herniation in her lumbar area. So bad she couldn't walk at all. She had the full series of 3 shots. The shots progressivly worked and by the last one her pain was completely gone. That was 5 years ago, and to this day she has no problems. Don't know if it was different because of where it was, but let me tell you-I sure had high hopes for mine. Bummer that they didn't work-but surgery is over & all is going well so far.
    Good luck & I hope the shots work for you as well as they did my friend!
    Kim in Cincinnati
    PS-my daughter's name is Cidney & we call her Cidneyloowho :)
  • Wow- you sound almost exactly like me!

My issues started 2 1/2 years ago. I have had chiropractic work, physical therapy, cortisone orally and injected into my muscles, muscle relaxers, deep tissue massage, home traction unit, TEMS unit- and I ended up at a neurosurgeon on Friday. Mine comes and goes, but more often the pain is present. I can't do any of my favorite activities either.

The orthopedic doctor I was seeing first had me scheduled for cortisone injections directly into my spine. One on each side of my neck. They were incredibly painful and didn't work at all.

The NS I saw on Friday said he NEVER does injections into the neck as he feels they are too risky.

I fully anticipated the NS to schedule me for some additional neck injections, but he has recommended surgery for me instead. I'm still in shock :)
  • I had surgery on the 12th of August and after suffering for about three years, it's the best thing i could have done. There's the odd return of pain but, by and large, it's normal to feel the odd twinge now and then during recovery. Regards.