Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello again

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, I joined back in May, I think, and made one post about my back pain, and several of you said you thought it was arthritis. Well, a light bulb went off in my head, since for two years I had just thought that if I could find the right pair of expensive shoes then that would take care of the problem. I went to my doctor and had an x-ray, which did indeed show arthritis, and was referred to therapy, which did me a whole lot of good as far as learning exercises and positions and tricks to deal with it. I never got around to coming back here, and then I had a computer crash, and it seems you moved things, but I wanted to come back and read and learn some more, so I did a search and managed to get on again.

I want to thank those of you who saw my symptoms for what they were and pointed me in the right direction. Unfortunately, it seems that I also have it in my hips and neck (I am going back to talk to my doctor about that), so I will probably be around a lot more now.

The main thing that is bugging me now is, what do you do when sitting in a wheelchair bothers your back??? Those crazy things are as straight up and down as a board, and I am at the point that I don't know what I'd rather do, walk all over the farmers' market or the mall or the fairgrounds, or sit in that thing and still be in the same miserable condition. I am thinking of getting a foam block from Jo Ann 's or something and cutting it on a diagonal in hopes of getting my back adjusted to the right angle.

Anyway, it's great to have found this place again!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Amanda,

Welcome back to Spine Health. Glad to hear that what you garnered here on your last visit helped you so much.

Take care,

"C"
  • I also have arthritis in my facet joints and can definitely relate to the pain. I am not yet in a wheel chair but do know that sitting causes me a great deal of pain also. If you figure something out kep us posted as it may help some of us.
  • :) hi! :H and welcome back to the forum! we are still here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have arthritis in my left hip and it is very painful. ~X( i have to use a cane occasionally. i have not found anything to help with the hip pain!! ~X( i hope you have better luck!! i don't know what to tell you about that wheelchair. i know what you mean though, the seats in my husband's truck don't recline and it is miserable. it is good to have you back!! Jenny :)
  • Amanda,I posted in your other thread,but I just saw this one and had a question.You asked about the wheelchairs back,and you also said:

"I am at the point that I don't know what I'd rather do, walk all over the farmers' market or the mall or the fairgrounds, or sit in that thing and still be in the same miserable condition"

I'm not sure what you mean by that,but there were times in my life that I had to be in a wheelchair,and if given the choice I would walk..but if you can't you might want to try to get one specailly made for your arthritic back.You can get a chair specailly made for you with a Drs prescription-if you have insurance that covers it.
  • I use a wheelchair if I have to walk very much or stand in line (if I am not at a place where I can use a scooter). So I use it at the mall, the airport, the farmers' market, the fair...I am okay if I am in it for less than an hour, but more than that and my back is messed up for a day or two.

I will have to ask my doctor about the specially made wheelchair. That would be just too wonderful!
advertisement