Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG, and needles in my back

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 547
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
ok, not sure where I should post this...

I had an EMG today... The neurologist sent electrical shocks through my nerves in my leg... not a very comfortable procedure.

After that, he stuck 3 or 4 needles into my spine (which scared the hell outta me!) The needles were attached to some form of radio....

has anyone ever had this done before? I'm getting some strange sensations in my limbs, and some stabbing needle like feelings in my neck.
advertisement

Comments

• did he touch the nerve with the needles? or is it another test ime thinking of? ive had the same test and i felt a little funny after. if the sensations get too wierd or painfull go to the er k?
  • The needles were (I think) stuck into the nerve, then he was listening to sound waves on a radio type thing.
  • I had an EMG done back in April. It's possible that what you are feeling now is the after affects of him basically shocking you. I would suggest though if the stabbing feeling in your neck doesn't go away to call the neuro's office on Monday and ask them about it.
  • I hurt!!!! And it gave me totally backwards results. My right leg is the one that has been in dire pain over the last 2 years. Almost everything was on my right side. Then I get the nerve test done and the results show that I have nerve damage in the LEFT side?!?! Weird.
    How were your results? Also, I thought I read somewhere that you had a MRI recently, how did that go? Did you get the results back yet?

Alina
  • had MRI on thoratic and cervical spine... came back "unremarkable" they want me to have a bone scan now.

Had the EMG done on right side. Everything came out good. Problem though, is that while I am having pain on the right, I have been told it has nothing to do with my spine injury. The herniation, and bulge are pressing on the left nerves, so I should be having pain on the left... which I do not have. Well, on very rare occasions I have pain, or strange sensations on the left.

Neck is feeling a lot better. Still stiff, but has been for about a week now (before the EMG) No more needle like stabbing pains though.

I do however feel like I did the day after I had cortisone shots in my neck... which I haven't had in over a year... almost like a bruise... where the needle from the cortisone WOULD have been?? Make sense? They didn't do any testing in my neck yesterday. Just my right leg and low spine.
  • Pain is pain. And its almost like my circumstance where I have all of my pain mostly on the right yet they say its not consistent with the EMG because it shows mostly left nerve damage. Kwim?
    I dont care what they say - I know what this pain is coming from. Until they want experience the same pain that I do on a daily basis - these docs should really learn to listen to their patients.
    Hope you have a great weekend!
  • Sounds like EMG/Nerve Conduction tests to me. Exactly what I had done 2 years ago, tho I didn't really find it painful, just strange feeling. I wouldn't want it done on a regular basis, mind you, it was quite an annoying feeling.

The "radio" thing, from what I understand, tells them thru the sounds they hear if and what damage there might be. Back when I had mine done the Doc had told me that because there was no noise in certain spots on my left leg that told him there was permanent nerve damage. If you think of it like a live electrical wire in your house, the live wire would make noise as it's conducting electricity. Your nerves and muscles do the same thing. The more nerve conduction there is, the more noise is heard thru the device, the quieter it is, the higher the liklihood of damage. Hope that makes sense.

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better, but if you're not completely better by Monday I would definitely call the office and ask what they advise. Meantime you could try ice and/or heat if those work for you.

Take care of you...
  • that they can "listen" to your nerves? On a radio? That just amazes me!
  • MmmHmm...

Crazy like the first time I sparked a patient. Could'nt believe putting 2 stickers on their chest and pushing a button could bring someone back to life either!

The amazing world of medicine...it's a trip alright!

Now, if only they can figure out how to perfect a spine transplant...
  • I too have had a recent EMG. My pain is from the lumbar area. I have a lot of damage in the lumbar from DDD/Spondylosis. I had an EMG recently. My pain is on both sides, but he checked only the right. Other than a weak signal in the right thigh sciatica he found the results normal. He did stick me in the spine in the L4/5/and S1. It hurt there more than the other spots. I experienced after affects like, dizziness, headache, and an overall feeling of sick so to speak. From what I have found, sometimes the results don't line up with the problem. I was told that they look for neurological vs. orthopedic issues. I feel better overall except for my normal pain.
  • I had an EMG and nerve conduction tests last year, and found it quite uncomfortable. Most of the needles they stuck in were mildly painful, like an electric shock/jolt kind of thing, but in one particular spot (around my foot/ankle area, it hurt like hell! I was glad when it was over. When they did the nerve conduction velocity part of the test, I could hear crackling static type sounds, like a Geiger counter. The neurologist told me that on top of the arthritic and muscular type pain from my severe lumbosacral stenosis and spondylosis, I also have neuropathic pain as a result of continuing injuries to my spine and long-term nerve damage resulting in changes in my nervous system. They basically said it was all mixed up in there and could understand why it hurt so much.

I didn't find the tests as painful as some have described, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to repeat them either.
advertisement