Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to expect at first post-op visit for 2 level ACDF??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello,

I am just wondering what my first post op visit to the surgeons office will be like??

Will they take an x-ray?? I want to see what my neck looks like now..

Will they take my collar off and orve my head because that is somewhat scary to think about?? eek!!

Will they take off the bandage strips on my incision???

I also would like to see what the incision looks like. With all the other surgeries I have had I was able to start to rub the incision and start to smooth out the scar so I am anxious to start that as soon as he will allow me to do so. I have had real good results with minimizing sugical scars by doing some massage to the surgical cut.

Anyway just want to know what to expect. Oh also what will they be looking for on the x-ray if they do take one? Can fusion of the bone start that quickly? What is the
"text-book" time frame for fusion to begin??

Chrissy
advertisement

Comments

• Hi sweetie,
    I think your appt is early right?? I did not have mine until 4 week mark. So that many may a difference it may not.
    With my scar I started putting stuff on it as soon as I came home. The steri strips fell off on their own. I had a soft collar to so that was able to come off in the shower.
    Umm hard to tell with what they are going to do. I had xrays, was able to remove my collar at that time . They clipped the end of the stitch where they tied it off.(from the stitches that were on the inside). Then I was given instructions for PT etc. Very easy visit.
    So most visits are pretty basic. Of course as you know they all do things different like yours seeing you 10 days later??? If I remember correctly.
    Good luck at your appt hunny.
    Love you!!
  • On my first visit they took x-rays to make sure hardware is in place, not sure if you had hardware out in. They check your incision, makke sure it looks good. not alot on the first visit usually. I was given permission to take off my hard collar alittle bit during the day while sitting in a recliner. Good luck with your appointment and hope you are doing well.