Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi from another newbie

anjuanaanjuan Posts: 236
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi-

I have been reading posts here for a little while and I finally decided to join. You all seem like a wonderful group of people.

So, here is my history. I had a lamenectomy at L5-S1 in October of 2004. At the time my left foot had been numb for several weeks. I had a very difficult recovery which turned into an infection. They couldn't get a pic line in because of my crappy veins so they put me on Zyvox to clear up the infection.

I have been in chronic pain ever since. I have been in PT more times than I can count. In May 2007 I had an MRI which showed a bulge at L4-L5 and L5-S1 but nothing major. I tried more PT, acupuncture, sacariliac joint injection, and 3 caudual epidurals.

This summer I went on a trip for work and felt something go very wrong in my back and was in a lot of pain. A few weeks later my pain management Dr. had me get an MRI and I now have two large herniated disks at L5-S1 and L4-L5. So, he did a discogram to determine which one(s) were causing the pain this past week. The test showed that both are causing my pain. After the procedure he told me that my options were a spinal cord stimulator or fusion surgery. He is going to give me more information at my appointment this Wednesday.

At this point I am very scared and nervous about potentially having another surgery. I am the primary breadwinner in our family and I don't have near enough leave time for something like this. I am just going to try to take one step at a time. I have already scheduled a consultation with an ortho surgeon who came highly recommended.

Thanks for listening!
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry to hear what you have been through. It sounds like you are thinking along the right lines and trying all conservative measures before trying surgery. As you have already found out surgery is not always the fix that we hope for and even causes more pain for some. Good luck to you and please keep us posted with your progress.
  • anajuan- welcome to site and hope your appt goes well Wed... :) jade
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you don't say anything about pain medications. is seems like a big jump to go to surgery or a SCS. :? have you had more than one opinion? these are just a few questions i might be asking. of course your doctor always knows best. good luck with whatever your decisions. let us know of your progress! Jenny :)
  • Thanks to all for your warm welcome!!

As far as pain meds, I have been taking tramadol as needed for almost 5 years. I also take hydrocodone 5mg for when I need something stronger (which has been a lot more frequently lately). And honestly, there have been times lately when the hydrocodone isn't strong enough. I am also on celebrex (200mg), neurotin (400 mg), and lydoderm patches.

I do already have an appointment for a second opinion and I am planning on getting an appointment for a third opinion. (I just need to find another good recommendation.) I definately am not someone who enters into surgery lightly.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone. I definately don't want to do surgery unless it is my only option.
  • :) hi! you seem to be right on board with your treatment plan. i am so happy you are getting that second and third opinion. i hear of too many failed surgeries from people who get only one opinion.it is a long road to deal with chronic pain and sometimes surgery winds up being the solution. check out the "Good News" forum for a read on successful surgeries! Jenny :)
advertisement