Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

more questions about spondy

srtaylssrtayl Posts: 146
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Spinal Stenosis
If one is diagnosed with spondy in one area of the spine, can that imply that it could be elsewhere? In other words, is it a global process of the spine or isolated to a give vertebrae when diagnosed.

The reason I ask, is that I am recovering from lumbar work as demo'd in my signature, but have been having radiating numbness and tingling down the right arm from mid bicept to finger tips. It is not constant, rather happens a couple times an hour. I am also able to reproduce the scenario by sliding my head toward the rear, and the feelings are exactly the same.

Thanks in advance for any feedback
advertisement

Comments

• There are multiple causes of spondylolisthesis. If someone has a spondy from DDD, they may well be at risk of having DDD elsewhere in there spine. If the spondy was from pars defects, maybe not as likely. Who knows? Anything is possible and I keep noticing here on SH many members have multiple spine level problems. I myself am now having neck pain, which I am blaming on this laptop, but who knows?
  • I appreciate you guys talking to me a bit on this. While it is not an issue yet, I fear it... for obvious reasons

Anyways, an update -- Saturday, tomorrow, is the MRI and I am not leaving until I have a disk in my hand (report or not). Throughout the years, I at least know how to review one of those.

Here's hoping for the best; talk tou you all tomorrow

Best Wishes,
  • MRI #6 under my belt this morning. Iwas given a copy og yhr scans and it looks like three discs are bulged and pushing on te cord. The levels appear to be C3/4, 4/, and 5/6,with 5/6 being the most niticeable outside of the vertebra.

Most of the disk material is dark, but C2 and T1 look good color wise, nice and light. I did not see any evidence of cysts or tumors, which is always good, but there is a chipped vertevra at C5 and the cip is about 1/8 of an inch from the vertebra on the right anterior side. It looks like the DDD in my case is relatively global to my spine, so it is a cindition I willl have to just live with.

So, back to the doc next week and see if sees the same. Not looking forward to hearing it from someone beside myself, but I guess it needs to be done.

Best Wishes,
  • Surgeon diagnosed cervical spondylosis, 1 herniation not worth correcting yet, 2 bulged disks. Disks are dark and do indeed indicate DDD.

Start PT tomorrow and PM next week. Outcome not as bad as I feared.
  • Thanks Cali-Sue for helping get through the anxiety aspect of that.... evidently, mine is global.
  • Started PT, the RN who was assessing me did a simple test of pulling on my head while on my back and the pain was tremendous with a couple pounds of force pulling -- a direct indicator of muscle, not nerve pain..... That made me feel really good.

The bad part is it is stress induced; the muscles are pressuring the nerves and have flexed in a manner which has changes the natural curvature of my neck. So, 5 weeks of PT, additional Flexiril or Skelaxin and lots of new excercises...... At least it is not the disks or nerves.
    DDD is present, the disks are dmaged slightly and 3 disks are bulging, but not enough to worry about for a few years -- very good news.

So anyways, theres the update
advertisement