Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OK so I really need your help with question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
I have been reading about ULTRAM and it seems to be the drug for me as I am an addict. I was excited to find something that could work on my pain... However I read on and find it doesnt mix with prozac whatsoever. How hard is it to drop prozac ? And do you think its worth it? Is there another med out there thats like prozac that doesn't have the same drug interaction with ultram :jawdrop: :''(
advertisement

Comments

• I think that there are other antidepressants that are ok to take with ultram, but I don't know which. You would have to check with your doctor. I know that a lot aren't safe. Ultram I have been told is also an antidepressant, and the two together can cause bad things... I was reading a post today about serotonin syndrome... Check with your doctor. You may have to change antidepressants before starting ultram.
  • Ultram is safe to take with Wellbutrin, but its a different class than Prozac (works on dopamine vs seratonin). Prozac is tough to go off of, like any other med you need to taper... talk to your doc, they will be your best resource.

May be worth it though - if you can get some relief from your pain, that alone will put you in a better mental state.
  • There are most definitely other antidepressant meds that you can take with Ultram, and some of them you could switch right to without having to taper off the Prozac, but you really do need to discuss that with your doc. It would be absolutely irresponsible of me to try to advise as to which meds will and won't interact well with Ultram, but I do know for fact that there are some out there that you can take.

If you don't want to wait till you see your Doc for possible suggestions you could Google and see what you come up with for possible options and then make a list of meds to take with you when you do see your Doc. One that I "think" might work is Cymbalta, and that also helps many with pain, but I do NOT know for sure if it would work with Ultram so please ask your Doctor, or even your Pharmacist, for suggestions.

Good luck and please keep us posted! I admire your strength in kicking your addiction. I know it isn't easy, especially when you're in pain.

Take care of you...
  • Because of my diabetes and reliance on anti depressants(no longer take SSRI's) its a no go from my doctor.Considering your addictions in past be warned Tramadol has potential as well, I even read at ABC news about 12 year olds taking it #o

What other drugs will affect Ultram?

You may be more likely to have a seizure (convulsions) if you take Ultram while you are using certain other medicines. Do not take Ultram without telling your doctor if you also use any of the following medications:

* an MAO inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), phenelzine (Nardil), or selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam); or

* an antidepressant such as amitriptyline (Elavil), citalopram (Celexa), clomipramine (Anafranil), desipramine (Norpramin), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), fluvoxamine (Luvox), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Pamelor); paroxetine (Paxil), or sertraline (Zoloft).

Before taking Ultram, tell your doctor if you also use:

carbamazepine (Tegretol);

warfarin (Coumadin);

digoxin (Lanoxin, Lanoxicaps);

ketoconazole (Nizoral);

erythromycin (E-Mycin, E.E.S., Ery-Tab);

rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane, Rifater);

St. John's wort;

quinidine (Quinaglute, Quinadex, Cardioquin, Quinora); or

drugs that make you sleepy (such as cold medicine, other pain medications, muscle relaxants, and medicine for seizures, depression or anxiety).

• Hiya,
    The doctor can switch you over on another drug, without much affect. They can use mood stablizers which are simular to anti-depressants. Like citalopram which is very good but a mood stablizer. Amitriptyline this is an anti-depressnat, which both work well with the sort of pain meds we take.My doctor prints off the presciption, and if there is any danger it shows on his screen, comes up like a warning. Good Luck!

Angie x
  • I would definitely think long and hard about this entire deal, which you obviously are since you are researching here and on your own.

Depending on how long you have been taking Prozac, how well it works for you and how you tend to react to other drugs, it might not make the most sense to switch mid-stream to accomodate a pain killer that you don't even know yet if it will work for you or not. (whew sorry about the run on sentence)

The Prozac is a known entity for you at the moment, the Tramadol isn't. Now I understand the urgency in finding pain relief. However if you were to jump to another med to replace the Prozac and start on the Tramadol, only to find out that that neither are a good combination, you've put yourself in a potentially fractious state.

I agree with everyone else, that the best course of action is to speak about this with your doc.

Hang in there,

"C"
  • check with your pharmacist as well as your doctor. two of my physicians weren't aware ultram boosts serotonin.

i think bupropion (wellburtin) can cause problems with ultram just like prozac.

I'm sure not everyone taking ultram with antidepressants has issue with serotonin poisoning. everyone is different nd maybe those two (ultram and prozac) together wouldn't cause you any troble.

consult with your doc and pharm. maybe they would suggest you try it while being monitored to see how your body reacts to the combo. i was taking it for a week before i developed mild symptoms of toxicity. and it took another week to develop moderate symptoms.

good luck to you
  • When I went off of Prozac a few years ago to try another anti-depressant, I had to taper down before I could swithch. I've had to do with with every anti-depresant that I've ever been on, taper down and then switch. I've never gone straight from one to another. MY husband was on Cymabalta? for nerve pain caused from diatbetes, and it wasn't working very well so his NS wanted him to try a different one. Same thing, taper down first and then start a new one. Personally I don't know which way is better or appropriate, we just go by what the doc's say. But I do feel that Pharmicist know more about all of the med's than the doc's do. I suggest that you speak to both. And although I've never done this myself, I do know that many people are put on more than one anti-depressant at a time. Maybe it makes a difference as to what types thay are? You do need to do something about the pain, that is obvious. Just talk to your doc and your pharmicist to find what is the best course of action for you. Good luck, I hope that you get some relief soon.
  • If something is working, and working well, think carefully before trading it in. A good PM doc should help to navigate this one...

To Mmaem03: Wellbutrin / Bupropion is safe with Ultram, but it is not a seratonin-affecting antidepressant. Different class. (I take both - doc and pharmacist approve - I'm still standing) :)))
  • WOw im speechless everyone! Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. Im going to check into wellbutrin maybe that could be an easy switch to from prozac? Ive been taking 40 MG's of prozac for about 5 months now. How hard do you think it would be to get off of it ?
  • Is a significant enough amount of time that you will have to be careful and slowly titrate off of the drug if that's what you decide to do.

"C"
advertisement