Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Spinal Decompression

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
~X( ~X( Hi, I am new to this site and need advice. I have two herniated disc C5 and C6, C4 has bone spurs and I am in pain 24/7. My chiropractor has a spinal decompression machine that he claims cannot only help me but heal me. I have already had 2 epidural injections and 4 weeks of PT and feel worse. Does anyone no about the pro and cons of this procedure I can only find positive feedback on the web but it is all for Lumbar and I need cervical. Please help me I am at my wits end. Sunshine ~X(
PSPS the the treatment cost $5000 and is not covered by insurance. That is for 20 sessions
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya sunshine.
    >:D< Welcome to Spine Health. I have never heard of these machines, but others on here might have on here. Good Luck!

Angie x
  • Hello
    They have both mechanical and I believe gravity traction machines that stretch your spine. Maybe this could be what he's talking about? Only made matters worse for be. Also when you say you have 2 herniated discs at the C5 and C6 that would be 1 disc that is herniated. It is actualy the disc between the C5 and C6 vertebra. A 2 level disc herniation would be something like C5-C7 where both the disc from the C5-C6 disc is herniated as well as the C6-C7 disc is herniated.
    My outcome was a multilevel fusion with instrumentation of my C5-7 Discs. Unfortunately I am still in a lot of pain. Had surgery back in March of '07, was injured back in May of '05
    Good luck to you
    I was also told or read that once it is herniated it will always be herniated unless removed

Be Well
  • An ESI can be very effective in controlling back pain and other joint conditions. The steriod cortazone reduces inflamation long term.
    I have had two for my lower back and get relief for about a year.

The down side is that it is not a cure and most often has to be done again and again which in my opinion is not good as any use of cortazone should be limited.

Also--if not done right could hit a nerve which is very painful and could cause long term problems.
    To reduce risk--ESI's should be done under floroscope whenever possible. (this allows the doc to see where they are going).
  • Welcome Sunshine,

Please do more research! I'm concerned about this Chiropractor telling you he can "Heal you". Please give us more information so we can give you more input. Have you had MRI or other x rays done? Any other conventional methods approached for therapy? What type of symptoms are you having? I really would seek medical advice from a NS or someone who is specialized in cervical spine.
    I know treatments are expensive, after everything (all not listed) I'm close to being a million dollars! Thank the higher spirits for leading me to good insurance companies.

I hope someone dealing with cervical issues can give you a better idea of what direction and approach they have taken for medical care based on their experience.

Please let us know how you are doing.
    O-
  • Hiya,
    If its the traction machine, physio theropy used that on me and it did not work. But what dont work for one may work for another!

Angie x
  • sunshine,

i know about it very well but never went through with it even after meeting w/the chiropractor. he told me he could try but couldn't quarantee. he said if i didn't have spinal compression on my mRi and only the herniations, etc...he could guarantee me, but she i have myelopathy and two disks pushing up against my spinal cord, my surgeons higher recommend i do not do it. it could be dangerous. all surgeons will not want you to do it, but i believed mine because he always sends people to chiropractors and turns them down for surgery-but NOT ME unfortunately because of this myelopathy and spine damage.

i hope this helps. it's a risky choice but since you seem to only have the one herniation and nothing else and you can afford it, it may be a consideration if you are really anti-surgery like me.....i've accepted the fact i have to do the surgery but noone has given me any other options which is freaking me out and i've seen to 5 doctors and 4 surgeons.

good luck w.your decision.
  • Hello all,thanks for the feedback. My symptoms are neck pain radiating down arm to finger tips, I have periods of numbness on my finger tips and sometimes they just tingle like they have fallen asleep. My concern is that over the last week my pain has gone from a steady 6 to 8-9. I have been going to PT and perhaps that is the culprit. I do not care for the therapist and would really not like to go back there. No matter how much pain I am in I show up for life. But I must admit it has been much harder this last week to do that. The therapist makes me work out regardless of the pain I am in and I think he knows best so I do it but find no relief. I was asked by my employer not to come to work on friday because I had mentioned how bad my pain was to a co-worker. I think they may push me out on medical leave actually that might not be a bad thing I find it hard to get through the work day....
    I was diagnosed with 2 herniated disc so if it cant be C5-6 than it must be C4-6. There is spurs on C4. All I know is my chiro said this could help and I will not have surgery. I am 38yrs old and I have heard that if you have 1 others will continue. I just do not want to be in pain anymore...Spinal decompression is not like traction, it actually sucks the disc back in place while the joints are separated. That then allows the inflamation to go down and the nerve is not pinched anymore. I guess I just wanted to know if any one has had it. Wow this turned out to quite long I guess I had alot to say. Sunshine ~X(
advertisement