Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Gardening, physical hobbies...

backpainzzbbackpainzz Posts: 116
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I am still pre-op L4-5 S1 fusion with total disc replacement, in a couple of months (Nov. 08) I was wondering how many of you can resume gardening, using the tiller, push mower,walking your dogs, roller coasters, traveling across country in a car for vacations (road trips), Can I ever bend, twist, or lift again, maybe in a few months or years or ever? I thought I could ask on this forum since you are post ops. I read in the old archives, but I dont know how to PM one of the people that posted on it. Any info or comments are greatly appriciated! Thanks Rose
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! :H unless that person is on the new SH you won't be able to pm them. they may have a a new name on this forum anyway. you have alot of questions and you are so wise to be asking them now!! i have not had a fusion but there are many people here who have. to read of successful surgeries check out the "Good News" forum. you will find some encouraging news. i am sure you are looking at surgery from all angles. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Rose,
    That pushing motion is the worst and requires the total weight of your upper torso and the resistance to be regulated by your spine, I try no to lean over and locate the mower to my hips and walk from that position without any flexion or bending look rather strange but helps, I know you are keen to get back to it which is commendable and we cannot feel your pain so it is hard to say. The possibility of increased pain is at greater risk doing these type of activities and pacing and rest will be the key to continuing them for some time to come.

Have a go and see how it is, very slow for a short period and see what the reaction is and then increase this rate over time which can only be evaluated by you. A many here most of our history is like the scrip of war and peace, long and varied, I am doing many thing that were initially impossible by going at them slowly and with great care and almost over caution.

Some thing you may never do again and part of this you have to accept ad swap some of the new activities you can do against the old one you cannot now do, it is hard and can take some acceptance, hobbies keep us going and active as possible and I would never not do them but continue to monitor and evaluate how things are going and what is possible against the reality of things you can do in you head or would like to do, they may arrive in the future and only you know.

All this is very personal I cannot walk and this is getting worse over time while some can still do this and no specific abilities and capabilities cover all of us here, only in the notion that others can do these give us hope that with continued effort through trial and error could we do the same. None of this is easy while in pain and we are to be applauded for continuing to try while the overall capability may decline.

Have a go take, it very slow and acknowledge every achievement.

John =D>

• Thanks for the response, I am going to hold of on surgery for as long as I can, I was too affraid of narcotics and only used 800mg ibuprophin, or salsate, VIoxx, well my pm gave me a script for 5/325 noroco, and WOW, I am using this and Robaxin and ambian cr, my pcp upped me to 10/325 Noroco, so I take a 5 in the am and another 5 in the afternoon, and 1 10 at night. Standing in my garden and knowing it would be quite a while if ever before I could enjoy it post op. I can handle the pain with these new drugs (to me). Im sorry you cannot walk and its getting worse for you, do you ever regret the surgerys, would you have been better off not having them done? Thats my question, I posted to "ug need some advise" She is also torn as to proceed with the surgery. maybe you can give her some input on your thoughts and feelings. Thanks again Rose :)
  • A friend who has had 2 or (three?) back surgeries - the last a fusion in March 2008 - has a snowmobile, snowshoe, hiking trip planned for this winter. She is "training" for it by hiking, bike rides and on-going PT.

I am not nearly that far along but was able to travel - 2 flights with 3 hour layover plus a 2 hour car trip - for 11 hours on Monday of this week. I followed that with a 4 hour car trip the next day with no ill effects.

That said, if you can still do the things you want to do with pain that is under control, then it certainly seems to make sense to consider not having surgery yet!
  • thankyou Megb,that is wonderful news your friend has had so many surgerys and is getting along with life. How are you doing with your post op progress? thanks Rose
advertisement