Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Idet procedure

tcr1130ttcr1130 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:H

Has anyone had this procedure done.. i am awaiting approval for this procedure for l3-4, l4-5 full length annular tears .... the doctor first brought up a double fusion and because of this site i questioned the idet procedure and microdiscectomy.. he said microdiscectomy wouldnt help me but would try to get approval for the idet procedure.. would like more info before i see him in a week... i read online it has a 50% success rate and if it helps its temporary and the patient usually always needs the fusion at a later date..... physical therapy says there would be a small incision... but nothing i read on line says that.. i wonder if they were thinking of something else...

any info would be appreciated....

thank you

and does anyone know the pros and cons of having an anterior fusion vs a posterior fusion.... i think i remember the doctor saying that l3-4 might have to be done anterior and l4-5 posterior... is that possible... he said l3-4 was to high for posterior... all i read there is more muscle damage done posteriorly... ( but could of been an older site i was reading)

thank you

advertisement

Comments

• Hi TCR,

I am going solely by what I have heard on here and from my doctor. I have heard, like you, that there is only a 50% success rate for IDET and that it takes a while to feel relief (if you will feel any) BUT keeping that in mind my doc said there are not very many negative side effects so it might be worth a try if your doc feels it can help you.

I am scheduled for ALIF (L4/L5 and L5/S1) in Oct. My doc said that there are pros and cons of both, but he prefers anterior. For posterior you need to cut through the back muscles which may be a more painful recovery, and you are working close to the nerves which is just scary. For anterior you avoid that, but you have to move aside your 'innards' and you are close to the blood vessels which is also scary. I believe that PLIFs have a slightly higher rate of fusion.

I hope this helps and isn't just re-hashing all the info you already know!

Linds
  • would you let me know how you do with your double fusion.... i know its a possiblity in my future. and i would like to talk to someone that is going thru it and how you do with it and what to expect...

thank you for your post.!!!!

good luck with the surgery.....

what is the percentage the doctor is thinking he can take care of your problems/pain!???

why is he doing the two levels!???? what did they find in your tests!?

• There is a very interesting web site that has been mentioned here on SH numerous times and it has some info on the studies about IDET. I will post the link, just scroll down and there are several about IDET. This whole chirogeek site is very informative as well. Check it out. Good luck, Sue

http://www.chirogeek.com/000_Current-Research-Page.htm
  • According to the head Neurosurgeon at my NS's practice, who graduated FIRST in his class at Boston University, PLIFS have a LOWER fusion rate than ALIF. I've also read that in much of my research.
  • Im a bit confused... started aquatherapy yesterday... when i was telling the therapist all that im going thru and doctor is thinking.... she said she didnt know they still did IDET... when i questioned her on that more she didnt say anything.... is this procedure an old procedure that they dont use anymore because the success rate wasnt that good.... im uneasy on how to handle what she said since i find out monday if im approved to have it done.... maybe having to get approval proves this isnt a procedure they do much of.???

help
  • Absolutely! And I'm really sorry I didn't reply until now... but yes I will update you, I am scheduled for the surgery Oct. 10. He recommended the 2-level fusion based on the MRI and discogram results... both levels caused me pain and the other 2 they tested didn't, which confirmed that they feel it's the 2 discs causing my pain. Apparently the success rate is only 75-80%, but at this point it seems to have the best odds of relieving my pain. I thought long and hard about it... but I'm going for it.

Any new info on your end? I hope things are going well.

Linds
  • I had the Idet done in June. I was fitted for a brace before the procedure, and I hate to say it but I actually feel worse :S .
    I guess that it was my last straw for me. I have a disk herniation at L5 s1 with a tear. I guess that I have a very narrow spine(not sure really), but the pm doctor that did it had to go in my back on both sides. The pain was just as horrible as the discorgam that I had. I have spoken to a man that did have this done and he worked out great with it! I wish that it was that way for me!
  • :)

I met with the neurosurgeons office this week... they will not do the IDET procedure .. says there is no success rate with it... so they will not do it....

they are going to do a SPECT xray to make sure my l5-S1 area is not contributing to the problems.... and that will decide for them if they need to do a three level fusion or a two level fusion - he mentioned that he is taking my case to a conference to discuss a brand new procedure ( not sure if this is in a clinical study or not) but it is going thru your side instead of anterior or posterior.... he said in my case if they have to do the fusion they would have to do posterior... he said while its a longer recovery it gives them the best view to do the nerve decompression...

all this scares me to death to tell ya the truth.... took a long long time for me to get thru the one level fusion i had done in my neck... i cant belive not even two years later they are talking about a double or triple in my lumbar area.........
advertisement