Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exercising while in pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hey all,

So my exercise regimen is non-existing due to the sciatica pain that is plaguing me everyday. However, I wonder if I should exercise to help it while I am waiting for my surgeries.

Thoughts? What exercises would you suggest? I was thinking just walking on the treadmill.

Angela
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Angela

I went on a 2 week residential rehab course last year, and although it didn't give enough relief to avoid surgery, it taught me to Keep Moving.

I was given lots of mat exercises and stretches to do religiously twice a day. They help release the spasms and tightness, but also - and more important - help build the core strength I need post op. (I also have a flatter stomach and more defined waist)

I have attached a link URL that I found while googling. Try some of them and see how you go. If I find anything else I'll post.

http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/back-stretch/lower-back-stretch.asp

• I will check it out!

Angela
  • :) hi! :H a good way to work the core painlessly is to use the Exercise ball. all you have to do is sit on it and keep your balance.you can use it while watching tv or even as a "chair" while on the computor! =)) of course there are other exercises you can use on the ball. the forum has some good info on the exercise ball. oh, of course there is always swimming!! as in all exercise programs your doctor knows best. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Any is better than none and for me getting my heart rate to a higher capacity my ongoing objective. As you say this is not easy when impact elements are restrictive and with some help for the PT I have my own plan that suits me. Some weeks I do no exercise and as many only when the opportunity of being able to do them is an option.

Slow and steady would be my recommendation and noting weight bearing or of impact, at the hospital we were encouraged to do small routines and many had done no activity for many years and it all worked well. I have pain before I start but as long as I keep within that fluctuating threshold does the increase in pain arrive. Most days I have a good idea where that limit, I will now not do more than I should and any increase in pain is measure of what is to come, so I stop.

I have learned to pace well and take frequent rest even before I need it , so it is the sit stand routine and then lying down when necessary.

My diet has improved as a consequence of this tentative activity and the weight is coming off, very slowly.

John
  • I find that I feel better if I keep moving and stretching. It's hard to due when you are in pain and I've been laying around for far too long and realized I am not feeling any better so I started doing stretches and moving around more. Of course, you should always check with your doc before you start something new but I am sure he would not discourage you from stretching. Core strenghting is the best thing to do if you can handle it.
advertisement