Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I THINK I MIGHT HAVE BMP COMPLICATIONS..AFTER SPINAL FUSION

vivavegasvvivavegas Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone......some of u may know that i had a spinal fusion from l4 tos1 in feb 07....now right after the surgery i experienced real burning of the soles of bboth feet and really sore to breath.the weakness has continued since then and has gotten worse.....i saw a surgeon at our local hospital[who used to do spinal surgery but has since stopped]....but he said to me i think this bmp stuff has overgrown.......i said well what will they do,he said well they will have to go in and take it out[i have stenoisis,thecal sac compression and there is contact of the l5s1 discs with nerves .or something i really dont understand it.the surgeon that operated on me didnt take out my discs,and he didnt put in any metalwork eiher all he did was apply this bmp stuff to the transverse processes..................im afraid to let them in again but im worried about permanent nerve damage..im seeing a scoloisi surgeon on wednesday but he is not the surgeon who operated on me.i saw the surgeon who operaated on me and i asked him if he could take i tout .he said and why would u want me to take it out,he said to do that would cause alot of damage cause i made sure this time that u would fuse[1st time i didnt fuse at all].so im wondering does he know that maybe he used too much stuff?..........puffy.i read ur notes does ur hubby have breathing problems since the surgery?.does he notice more inflamation than before surgery[i mean like way way more.like on fire?............my problem is if they go in and take out this bmp stuff.will more just regrow?..... also if this bmp stuff has overgrown and is effecting my spinal cord then would that also give me weakness in the arms and legs?.....and also a terrible terrible nausea feeling like i want to be sick?
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear about these ongoing problems. I have heard of others suffering from too much bone growth caused by BMP and thus needing further surgery to remove excess bone. Have the doctors suggested an MRI or x-ray to confirm whether there is indeed excess bone growth and/or whether this is impinging on the spinal cord or nerve roots? I'm not a doctor but I would have thought that a scan and/or x-ray would pick this up.

Good luck and all the best

Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I don't know about your nausea or arm symptoms after lumbar fusion. I do know a bit about BMP-2 complications(unfortunately.)

This is the short story...I had surgery recently(by a different surgeon than my fusion one) to remove bone that had grown from the BMP and was encasing one of my nerves. I had unbearable leg pain. Much better after surgery. Surgeon thought he would find bone fragments growing on the nerve but found much more new bone growth than he thought. He indicated that once that was removed, there would be no more overgrowth there.(Ironic I had bone growing where it was not supposed to be and NONE where I was supposed to fuse.)

BMP-2 is known to cause bone overgrowth, cysts, and cause problems with reabsorption of bone. I'm sure it can be a wonderful thing in some cases, but the literature I've read states while most people fuse faster with it, at the 2 year mark there is no difference in success/failure rate than without it.

The only 100% way in my case to know what was going on was direct visualization(surgery.) Thankfully, I found a surgeon up to date on current research and FDA advisories concerning the compound.

The company's website has some information and you can find a lot on the web. The FDA's website also includes voluntary reporting by physicians on potential complications from BMP-2.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfMAUDE/search.CFM I think the PMA number is P000058

http://www.medtronicsofamordanek.com/physician-spinal-infuse.html

• Like Bruce said, you will really need to have an MRI or at least a CT scan for the surgeon to be able to tell what is going on. It sounds from your post that the Dr at the hospital was presuming it was a BMP overgrowth.

I hope things work out for you and that all this is not a big deal after all. Wouldn't that be great.

Dont stress yourself too much till you know what is really going on.

Blessings Sara
  • Thanks alot guys...............well i will see the surgeon this wednesday............i had an mri taken in october and thats where the surgeon at our local hospital said i think this stuff has overgrown............. but if i let them back in i am going to get more scar rissue and maybe more problems and my lumbar is a mess anyway.i remember a chiropractor telling me u have the spine of a 60 year old.imagine going into surgery thinking i was having scoloisis surgery only to get all this..............i think a surgeon also said i may have a bit of dystropghy going on in the legs.............i am also having alot of breathing problems and other problems........im seeing a rheumatolagist soon though who perhaphs can find out whats going on if perhaphs with me having scolisis there is a dystrophy problem that maybe wasnt diagnosed........because the whole body feels tight but when this weakness comes iy leaves the whole body weak and im wondering if like when this happens is it cord compression.thanks guys sorry for going on and on.lol >:D<
  • we have had alot of talks and im just saying that out loud so peolpe dont think i dont really understand viva,
    i have no experience with bmp never remember hearing the word befor 2 weeks ago,
    viva sometimes it does sound like your symptoms might be coming from cord compression maybe that overgrowth is bugging your cord.im sure you'll find out something at the doc.please let us know when you know sumthing hugs and blessing blowing all the way across the country to viva, patsy
  • About reactions to BMP. She said she has never seen any in lumbar fusion patients. She said it has happened in cervical fusions because it is not FDA approved for that purpose/placement.
  • My BMP is growing way too much.. I can't believe it, I have to go under again to have the extra removed.. Will it grow back again? Can't answer one way or another. "there's not enough data on the product."

I had an MRI with Contrast and a CatScan. The catscan showed a lot more than the mri. When pointed out to me, you could see all of the excess bone. Scary.

I've had two injections that have not helped. The PM DR said he had great difficulty getting to the nerve in question due to the bone growth. First he tried to do in above the L5S1 then from below. No luck.

Second time, from above, and below, then from the side, still not able to get to the spot.

When I explained this to my surgeon, "oh, that doesn't sound good."...

Yeeshhh... When is this going to end.
  • in a spacer that slipped into my spinal canal.

On removal the cage was reported as being empty.
    Can BMP be re-absorbed by the body? Do you think the BMP slipped/oozed somewhere else?
advertisement