Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hip ostearthritis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
Hey guys,

I am new to this topic. I haven't been in this board before. I have osteoarthritis in my hips. I had slipped capital femoral epiphysis about 15 yrs ago in both hips. Out of both surgeries, my right hip was always the worst. The strange thing is that it always had a way of looking the best on scans and x-rays. So now I am totally scared. My right hip always seems to fall right in the joint everytime it is x-rayed. When my ortho did the surgery he said he would have never guessed how bad it was. It apparently was just barely hanging on. I had to have pins put in.

Since then, then the pins had to come how due to growth issues and pain. I have had 3 back surgeries and my hips have had to take alot of the slack for it. Well about 3 months ago, I went to stand up from my chair and my hip made this horrible popping noise. It hurt so bad it literally brought me right back down. Since then I have went through PT on my back and of course strenghening on my legs. The PT made my hip hurt but I didn't really say much I just wanted to get better. I talked to my neuro about it and he said it is just referred pain from degenerative disc disease. I couldn't believe all of this hip pain was referred but I took the answer and went on. Well as time has went by, my hip just keeps getting worse and worse. I finally called my PCP and told him I needed an x-ray of it. Well I went the next day to get the x-ray. I haven't had my ortho read it yet and considering my history my hip will never be normal. I had the dr I work for read it.
He said
1) Right hip is higher than left.
2) Osteoarthritis in the right greater than left
3) There is narrowing in the joint space
4) Osteopytes around the lining
5) Neck of the femur is shorter than the left
6) Sacroiiliac joint is narrowed

Well I went ahead and broke down and called my ortho. My appt is Wed this week. I am really nervous about seeing him. I don't know what would be worse surgery to fix or to just live with it. I am 26 yrs old and to live with a bum hip forever is along time. I have a toddler so it would be really hard to have surgery. I don't know. One of the drs I work with said they came out with something new with the hip. It is scoping it and scraping the lining to get rid of osteopytes and give more time before replacements. It may be an option. My hip don't hurt when I sit or stand still but when i am walking (I am a nurse I do alot of it) or laying down it is horrible. Somenights it is so bad I have to pick my leg up to move it or roll over. I guess I will just have to wait to see ortho. The dr I work for said before I got the x-ray that if it got to hurting bad enough he would inject it with steroids, but after he saw the x-ray he said my anatomy is pretty much screwed up and it would be hard for him to do not knowing all of my history.
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry that you are going through so much at such a young age! I also have pain in my hip area but everytime that it is xrayed, they say that it looks clear. I really admire you for continuing to work with this pain. I was 42 before my pain started and honestly don't know how I would have handled it all if I had a small child. I guess that we all do what we have to do. I just wanted to wish you luck and please keep us posted after you see your doc.
  • Thanks,

I will def keep you posted on what is going on. It is really hard with my son. He is 20 months old and doesn't understand that mommy don't feel like playing or carrying him everywhere.