Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated Disc ? NEED INPUT PLEASE!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
My name is Andy and Im 24 years old. I was diagnosed 2 months ago with a central disc herniation at the l4/l5 region that was seriously compressing my theral/dural (whatever the name of it is) Sac. My symptoms started about 3 months ago with leg stiffness and spasms, twitching, and lower back stiffness and inflammation. What worries me is that I dont have much pain, just stiffness and discomfort in my legs that really bother me if I stand for a while which is what I have to do at work. The stiffness/twitching is mainly in my calf muscles and behind my knees. Sometimes is very hard to walk becuase it feels like my legs are just too tired to move and when standing for a while my legs get ridicoulously stiff and start to burn. I had to wait 2 months to see a neurosurgeon and since im an impatient person i went to chiro and started some decompression treatments of my back. My legs and back started to slowly get better and when i was almost done with my treatments the chiro recomended message therapy treatment. BAD IDEA!!!! After a few treatments my back and leg symptoms came back tenfold, worse than before!!! When i finally saw the nuerosurgeon he said to NEVER see a chiro for a herniated disc problem w/out seeing him first. Now i dont know what to do because my symptoms are worse than b4 and he wants to try epidural shots and if that doesnt help consider surgery. My ? is has anybody out there heard of simliar symptoms with a herniated disc. I always worry that I have something a lot worse (ALS or MS) causing my problems then just a disc because i dont have the typical herniated disc symptoms. If anybody could share there input i would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks for your time!!!

Andy
advertisement

Comments

• Think of horses, not giraffes. I'm not a doctor but I have had herniated disks. I know what the pain feels like and it feels like what you mention. Try the shots, try everything that you can before rushing into surgery. If and when you do have surgery, take this advice, find the most experienced surgeon with spines that you possibly can, even if that means having to go out of town. Find a surgeon who only focus's on spines, not other limbs on the body. And don't worry about it being something much worse, the spine can cause a lot of problems and a lot of pain. I have another suggestion for you. When you are standing in place for any period of time you can relieve a lot of the presure off of your spine by keeping a stool under your foot, just one foot, and your knee bent. Even keep one in the bathroom and use it when you brush your teeth. You'd be amazed how much difference this makes. Good luck!
  • agree with Jewels. Also keeping one leg raised when standing helps me too. Everyone tends to let their imagination run wild which is the worst thing that you can do. Stress actually makes pain worse. I do not think that there are any "typical" herniated disc symptoms. I think that it would all depend which of the many nerves that run through your spine are being affected. So try not to worry until you know that there is something to worry about. I know that this is much easier said then done. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I also have a herniated disc that is central and i have all those symthoms twitching ,legs get tired easily , tingling, what ive notice is since the herniation is central it can effect both sides and not always the at the same time sometimes my left hurts sometimes the right everybody is wired different so it may effect everyone different .good luck and hang in there.
  • I have similar symptoms with a herniated disc at the same level. The symptoms come and go now. Sometimes I have sciatic pain, others just the tingling, twitching and weird feelings. When it first started I went to chiro but it felt worse after each visit so I stopped going. In general it has been getting better over time, which is basically the past 9 months. My treatments have been very conservative, thank goodness. I hope maybe yours will get better too. I am proof that it is possible. Everyone is different. I know it is very hard not to worry at the beginning so don't stress yourself more by letting your mind wander too far!

Take care and good luck.
    Teri
  • My symptoms were exactly as you described, I started with the pain in Jan 08, got signed off work may 08 had an MRI scan in July 08 and a microdisectomy on 4th September. My leg pai and numbness have completely gone, Im just suffering with post of pain in my lower back now which is nothing compared to what I originally had. Good luck and keep us updated
  • Hi and welcome to SH! :)

First I just wanted to make you aware, if you haven't figured it out already, that there are all kinds of various articles on this site, many of which address herniated discs, sciatica and radiculopathy-I would recommend you read up on those articles in addition to the many posts here on the message board regarding herniations. There's so much information you'll feel overloaded where all you can do is say "Whoa!" @) ;)

I have multiple herniated discs and several other issues going on with my spine, but thinking way back to the beginning when my back problems first started (2002) I remember my symptoms being very much like yours, so yes, I would guess that is the case.

Just remember tho, we're not Doctors here-we're just everyday, far-from-ordinary people bonded by a common thing-Pain! So while we're more than happy to share our experiences, knowledge, opinions, etc. with you, we should never take the place of an official diagnosis by a Doctor, OK? Sometimes it's easy to compare symptoms with each other and think "Hey, yea, I have that too!" so we often have to remind ourselves that we really do need to seek the opinions of Doctors. However, we're always willing to listen and share our own experiences & advice-or just offer up a listening ear and a shoulder whenever needed. :) We all truly understand what each other is going through, and often times it can feel like no-one else does. One never has to feel like they're alone in pain...that's the main reason why we're here! Keep that in mind if you ever need some friendship and understanding.

Take care and please keep us posted, OK?
advertisement