Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

These are a few of my favorite things.............

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lighten and Brighten
:H "Rubies, Diamonds, and Pearls oh my!" I have to admit something. I am an addict! I am addicted to shopping! I find it to be the quickest way to "lift" my spirits when I'm feeling low or lonely. And sometimes I just do it for fun! My fav's to buy? Jewelry is #1! Any other jewelry fans out there? Or maybe I should say "fanatics"? The next in line would be shoes, makeup, kitchen stuff, and luxery bedding. Can't forget candles too! My momma named me right when I was born. Was it a premonition or could this have caused me to love jewels the way that I do? If I had been named "Levi", would I prefer to buy jeans instead? If "Harriet", would it be wigs?

I just bought an onyx ring a few days ago, and ordered some beautiful vintage looking earrings this morning on-line. Plus, I can't forget about the cabochon garnet ring that I purchased last week! I've been looking for a great cabochon stone ring for awhile now. =P~

I would love to know what the rest of you buy when you feel the need. Does it perk you up and help to get you out of a funky mood? Luckily for me it isn't a brief satisfaction like it would be for a true shopping addict. I enjoy my purchases for at least a couple of weeks before it begins to wear off.

Some tips that I've learned along the way;
(1) Gold Canyon candles smell the best, and give the best scent when lit.
(2) You CAN wear heels when you have back problems! I was wearing flats in the beginning and then one day I tried on a wedge heel. The pain in my lower back decreased. Try them, we can still look sexy when in pain! Must be wedge heels though!
(3) Have your clothing custom tailored to fit you perfectly. It doesn't cost very much at all, and your clothes will fit beautifully.
(4) I purchased a mattress topper for my bed and for the first time in 7 years, I'm able to sleep in it again. Without pain! If you send me a pm, I'll tell you where I bought it.
(5) I like to keep a vase with fresh flowers in the house all of the time. I have a lot of vases already, I just buy flowers at the grocry store. It is a very inexpensive splurge that boosts my mood every time I look at or smell them. White carnations with babies breath is especially pretty. They look like puffy clouds or snowballs.

Please feel free to add to my list, we can never have too many ideas that are uplifting! I also want to know what everyone enjoys buying, cooking, reading, etc.

What's a few of your favorite things? :X
advertisement

Comments

• :) my dog Sirius is definitely a favorite thing. she keeps my house lively and fun. :X another big one is open windows. i live by the beach and the ocean breeze just can't be beat! my third favorite thing would be stuff to read. :B a good book, a magazine,even stuff on the fourm. i have to read every day!! and finally is my "mood machine." =)) it has a fountain of water and can make all kind of sounds from a loon to a rainforest. these are a few of my favorite things!! i love your idea about flowers. i have them in my house when i can!! and i light candles every evening. Jenny :)
  • favorite color is purple image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />. love to shop too..wow, clothes, shoes, jewelry, flowers are all fav things.. love perfume and perfume bottles.. love to collect glass and native american things.. >:D< jade
  • I don't have much interest in jewelry (my jewelry consist of 3 things, my wedding ring, my ladybug earrings and my opal cross (my hubby gave me before we were married)i have to add on my cross chain I also have my grandma heart, my mom heart, my sister heart, my daughter heart, and a little ladybug (mom gave me when my grandma passed away)my chain is long and is usually down under my shirt.I did just get new living room furniture,(does this count, cause it is still new and its my favorite furniture I have ever had)hubby bought it mostly for me so i can have a comfy recliner for my not so comfy back-neck. I love my stainless steel appliances in my kitchen-(i just have to work on getting my cupboards organized) (im gonna ask jewels for a online class, I hear shes GOOD at this)
    I love seeing my grandkids & having them spend the night(one at a time)

I also love to read medical things,
    my favorite thing to do is crochet, and thats one of my favorite things I can still do, many of my favorite things I can no longer do at this time, but im very much hoping i will get back to my old favorite things to do.
    I crochet blankets in the winter and dollies in the summer. We just found out recently we are gonna be having a new grand baby! we wont know if its a boy or girl until right before Christmas. so two weeks ago we went to the yarn store and i bought yarn to make a boy blanket and a girl blanket, hehehe my hubby thinks im silly doing this.i have started the girl blanket then i will get busy on the boy one. who knows maybe I am doing this cause she is gonna have both a boy and girl. well there again patsy has gone way off subject(just me i cant help it, the harder i try the worse i get)I will just blame it on meds.
    I do find that just buying the littlest thing for the house, can get me in the mood to get some serious cleaning done.
    I do have a new favorite thing to do the computer(im new to this only been using a computer for a few months)and with the computer i have found many favorite things... Patsy

• I got to thinking about what really are my favorite things
    I cant believe I forgot two very important ones
    #1 seeing Butterflies in my yard and taking pictures of them
    #2 having ladybugs around me everyday & everywhere I go

patsy
  • Thanks for starting this post cause I needed some better thoughts...
    Hmmm...I like candles and good smelling things. LOVE good food. Massages. Jaccuzzis. Any new piece of something to wear or put in my place, from shoes, jeans, hats, and my new hand-made thumb ring, to that new coffee table I got the other day. A good nap is always nice. A perfectly mixed cocktail...mmmmmm... Happy times with friends, family, or a lover. Singing and acting out the lyrics to old Smiths songs while driving fast on winding roads...
    Bring on the good things in life! 8>
    ~Lauren
  • My favorite things are good times with family,but aside from that I really love riding down to the beach,camping,rolling up my jeans in the surf,talking late at night around a campfire-right after a hot shower,the sun on my face in the early morning(on the beach-lol)...the great thing about that is that it can all be done in one day.

I have this big round,but low crystal bowl that I put water in and throw magnolias on to float on top my table in the L/R.They're pretty and bring a bit of the outdoors in.I also like big plants,my latest is a huge peace lily.
  • :D The 2 things were a HUGE surprise! LOL!!!!! :X
  • Of course furniture counts! Whatever makes you happy or are a few of your favorite things. Big, small, fat, thin, wet, dry, silver, gold, tangible, or just a thought! Anything counts! <:P
  • Singing and driving fast on winding roads! Let the music play.................... :)
  • Oh, how did I forget the beach? My absoloute fav "IS" the beach! I was jealous when I read that Lulu lived at the beach! :D Waking up to the sound of the ocean crashing against the rocks, going to sleep with the same sound, eating "anything" at the ocean, (I am always hungry at the beach) swimming in the ocean, the SMELL of the ocean! And the very best of all? Riding horses along the beach! How much better can it get than that? 8>
  • If you haven't tried them yet, buy a gold canyon candle, (they have so many different scents to choose from) and enjoy! They beat Yankee brand to a pulp, and also come with 3 wicks. They are the best! =D>
  • I really enjoy reading what are everyones favorite things are. And I think that are ALL nice! >:D<
  • You are too cute!! I'm with ya on the beach topic; can't believe I didn't mention it myself! I am fortunate enough to live walking distance to it and that's one of the only things I can do right now is walk so I enjoy it at all times of the day and night. I particularly love late-night moon-sets when the air is so still and all you hear are the lapping of the waves on the sand....mmmmmm
  • Hey Froggy,
    First you get me with the compliment, lull me into a false sense of security, then whallop me with the fact that you live within walking distance to the beach! :D Bad girl! image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> LOL!!!! :))( Do you happen to have a spare room? :D
  • Another of my favorite things is a thumb ring that my sister recently bought me while traveling in Ireland. It's a Claddaugh ring with the braiding on the sides. I love it! My husband is Irish and I also have some Irish roots so it's really cool. I wear it all the time!
  • My dear Robin,
    You will understand this! As to the topic on the Chronic Pain page, under the thread "For the ladies", the 5th and 6th sentence that you wrote. That too is some of my favorite things! :D LOL!!!!! =))
  • I laughed pretty good when I read your message here! You really named your dof Sirus? :))( I thought that I've just about every crazy name to name a pet but this was way too cute! Not to mention funny. :))(
  • "She left herself wide open for that."

ROFLMAO...image

• your pix with the huge glasses is GREAT just like that tiger jumping around. I will call him Tony the tiger. he reminds me of my hubby in the morning ,,,,PATSY
  • There are a few things really!! I LOVE to go shopping on my depressed days. Usually I dont hold up too well. And usually wehn I go I put all of my stuff back and get stuff for the hubby and kids. LOL But here is my list
    #1 and I mean #1, well after the kids and hubby would be DRAGONFLY's!!! I love them, I take pics, collect ANYTHING dragon fly, my daughter whom is 7, well as she would say 7 AND A 1/2!!! LOL) finds them at the ponds down the road and brings them home. IF they die then I freeze dry them and frame them. Usually I have her let them go but we do find dead ones all the time.
    OK I will get on with the list! LOL
    2) Orange or citrus candles during the spring and summer and cinnamon during hte fall and winter
    3) A long hot bubble bath with a book and without the kids knocking on the door. My son is 2.5 yrs old & he will go as far as sticking is fingers under the door saying "mommy, mommy come out I miss you!" So basically I only take a bath when the hubby is here or if he takes the kids somewhere for an hour. LOL
    4)Being able to play on the floor or the grass with the kids
    5) putting on some Victoria's Secret and FEELING sexy at the same time!
    6)My wedding ring and my mom's wedding ring (mom and dad divorced) finny thing is that I dont think of my mom when I look at it I think of my dad
    7)WARM towels after I get out of the tub! Usually my daughter or husband will do this for me. No sense in putting a towel in the dryer if you have to go get it. LOL That would be great, running through the house freezing your butt off to get the towel with risk of slipping on the floor due to being wet.
    8) going for a Harley ride with the hubby without pain!!!! Here in Nevada there are so many places to ride, especially Tahoe (only 20 min away) and you don't think about anything except what you see!
    9)Walks with the family!
    10)Buying kitchen gadgets
    11)Pedi's and mani's. I dont do the fake nails, not for me, but sitting in a massage chair and having someone doing your feet is awesome. The crappy part is having to walk to your car then having to drive home afterwards.
    12)Christmas Morning!!! The chaotic mess and excitement is the best thing in the world!!
    13) Watching a chick flick with girlfriends. Due to the fact that I can't sit long, usually we gather in the bedroom on the bed or some sit in teh chairs or lay on the floor. nothing like a glass of wine and popcorn. LOL
    14)ANY day with less pain!!!
    15)All the simple things in life, coloring iwth the kids, blowing bubbles for the kids, playing sidewalk chalk etc
    16)vacation to WAshington STate to see my family

I know there is more but boy is this list getting long! LOL

MJ
  • my #8 came out as 8) oh well hope you figured that out. LOL
  • Yes, that has happened to me too! LOL!! :))(
  • Ok that sounds a little like the time I drank Malt Liquer while eating brownies, don't do it! (Beer & brownies that is) I love your list Melissa! I find this so interesting to know what everyone enjoys!

Keep them coming my friends!
  • There's something so comforting about my thumb ring. I had one that I wore for about 7 years, and then I lost it surfing about 2 years ago. I've been waiting to find one that suited my fancy since then, and finally I found one at a local arts and crafts fair...yay!!!! I feel nearly complete again!
    So Jewels, I'm dating an Irishman myself...he's so adorable with his dark hair and laughing green eyes 8> Plus he doesn't mind taking care of me when I'm not doing so good... :(
    And if I had any extra space you'd be welcome to it Miss J. Unfortunately though I live in a studio apartment...I'm sure not complaining tho, I love my little place!
    ~Lauren
  • hi everyone i usually purchased some bling for my stag ar when i am in the mood to buy online. i dont get to target practice or fish much since my surgery, but thats ok, i still can enjoy the sunrises, sunsets, birds, squrriels, deer, and the smell of pine trees on a daily basis. some of our favorite places to go are our national parks (glacier national park and walerton national park just this month). we usually go before june or after labor day to see the sights without the big ctowds. this year we have also been to great basin national park, zion national park, bryce national park, arches national park, yellowstone national park, and canyonlands national park. jewels should like where we are going next week to gem mountain to dig for sapphires in the sapphire mountains of montana. this should be easier for me because they have tables to work at and you just purchase the buckets of ore. another cool thing we have done this year is dig for trilobites at u dig fosils in utah. i could only dig for about 20 minutes and that is with pain medication. i can still enjoy these sights with my pain or have the same pain staying at home. we just have to limit our total driving time and take many breaks. it takes us alot longer to get to these places than the average motorest but i see alot more on the way to these places. i must be ramblling on so
    GOD BLESS ALL
    KC
  • Some more of my fav things, actually these are the two at the top!

Climbing into clean & fresh sheets when you first put them on, and then having great sex while your'e in there. Can I say that here? :D
  • :X I would LOVE to dig for sapphire's, how cool! Let me know what you find! I even love the name, Gem Mountain! But you know where you really got me? Was when you said that you can smell the pines on a daily basis. We used to live in the mountains near Prescott, AZ and it was the happiest time of our lives. We are hoping to retire up there someday. I love the mountains. And all of that traveling, do you have a motorhome? I would love to take a couple of months and travel the country in a motorhome. No hurries, no rush to get anywhere, just enjoy anywhere that we happen to land. Have fun, I envy you! =D>
    Jewels
  • That really makes me miss my mom.
    Every year her & Gene went on a trip for 4 to 6 weeks just traveling and visiting the NP's and taking awesome photos-they were both great at it and loved getting pictures of wild animals,whales,the redwoods,etc...but my favorite were the pictures with mom in them.Next week will be 3 months since I've been able to hug this beautiful mother of mine.This picture was taken at Glacier point in Yosemite NP......That is the mt. they call Half Dome behind her.

Gene's not taking as many pictures these days..her loss has been so hard on him.I hope that he gets back into his hobby because he's a great photographer.

Well...I'm sorry to be depressing,but that is one of my favorite pictures of my mother~and because KC mentioned NP's and I have been thinking about my mother SO much,I just had to mention it.
  • The entire thread has been deleted due to violation of Forum Rules

Ron DiLauro
    Spine-Health Administrator
    10/03/08
  • The entire thread has been deleted due to violation of Forum Rules

Ron DiLauro
    Spine-Health Administrator
    10/03/08
advertisement