Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON {A TRIBUTE TO RICHARD WRIGHT}

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Matters of the Heart
pink floyds dark side of the moon has helped me through some bad times {and some good! } i was saddened to learn of the untimely death of the superb keyboard player Richard wright who passed away sometime yesterday .dark side is still played in my car and i listen to it today with all the enthusiasm as when i first herd it .god bless you Richard heaven got its self a superb keyboard player and a gentleman .condolences to his family and the remaining band members .you will be missed a loyal fan for 30 years tony beer
advertisement

Comments

• for the info. I will remember him as I listen to some PF today.
  • The light grows a little dimmer each day as time passes before us. this was such a light as will be missed when it is needed most. Here he passes from life to legend,
    thanks for the times Mr Wright God has need of an angel to light the way home.
  • what lovely kind words ranchand
  • Richard Wright, the keyboardist whose somber, monumental sounds were at the core of the art rock by Pink Floyd that has sold millions and millions of albums, died Monday in London, where he had lived. He was 65.

The cause was cancer, said his publicist, Claire Singers.

Wright was a founding member of Pink Floyd, and his spacious, enveloping keyboards, backing vocals and eerie effects were essential to its musical identity.

Though Syd Barrett and then Roger Waters wrote most of Pink Floyd's songs, Wright shares credit on the improvisatory psychedelic studio works the band composed collectively, and he sang a few lead vocals, including on "Astronomy Domine" from the band's debut album, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn."

Wright was also sole songwriter on "The Great Gig in the Sky," a hymnlike track with a soaring, wordless female vocal at the center of "The Dark Side of the Moon," the 1973 Pink Floyd album that has sold some 40 million copies.

David Gilmour, Pink Floyd's guitarist and singer, said in a statement Monday: "In the welter of arguments about who or what was Pink Floyd, Rick's enormous input was frequently forgotten. He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognized Pink Floyd sound."

Wright was born in London in 1943 and taught himself to play keyboards, developing an early interest in jazz. He attended a school for haberdashers, then studied architecture at the Regent Street Polytechnic College.

With fellow students at Regent Street - Waters on guitar or bass and Nick Mason on drums - he started a group, at first playing American rhythm-and-blues songs. Barrett joined them in 1965, reshaping the music and naming the band The Pink Floyd Sound, after the U.S. bluesmen Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

Barrett's whimsical, asymmetrical songs and the band's fondness for experimental sounds placed it at the center of London's underground psychedelic movement in the mid-1960s. "Music was our drug," Wright once said.

"The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" was released in 1967 and yielded pop hits in England, but LSD use and mental illness made Barrett so unstable that he left Pink Floyd in 1968.

Pink Floyd continued to thrive through the 1970s, and Wright released his first solo project, "Wet Dream," in 1978. Pink Floyd's 1979 album, "The Wall," eventually sold 23 million copies in the United States alone.

Waters, who had increasingly taken control of Pink Floyd, reportedly threatened not to release "The Wall" unless Wright resigned his full membership in the band. He does not appear on the band's 1983 album, "The Final Cut."

After that album, Waters left Pink Floyd. Amid lawsuits, Gilmour and Mason regrouped under the Pink Floyd name; Wright rejoined them for the 1987 album "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and "The Division Bell" in 1994.

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/16/arts/obits.php
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• one of musics greats! lots of memories growing up with Pink Floyd.
advertisement