Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discogram & Myelogram - Oct 16th & 17th

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello All :H I am new to this forum. From what I have read so far has helped me tremedously to make the decision to have the 2 tests performed and then on to the surgery. I have had migraines, neck, back pain since I was 15 I am now 38. I am ready to live the rest of my life pain free!
I am little apprehensive about the test but I know they have to be done so we know exactly what to do. I have issues with C6 and L2,3,4,5 & sacrum. At the moment we are addressing the C6. The lumbar area is being done just to see what the issues are and go from there.
These tests can't be as painful as the pain I have in my neck down my shoulder, biscep, forearm, wrist, fingers. I am so ready.
For my tests I have to spend the night in the hospital first I get the myelogram done by my doctor then the following morning I get release and go to an imaging center to get the discogram. I really wish my doctor would do both. Has anyone else had to spend the nigt for these tests and has anyone had them both done in 2 days. If so how was the pain level afterward?
Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• I had both test, no hospital stay, and they were not done within a short time of each other, but what I can tell you is when I had the CT Mylogram I got a bad headache due to the spinal cord fluid leaked out, after 4 days on my back they finally told me to drink more caffeine then what I normally do,I guess that helps the hole to seal up in the cord, so my advice is afterward start with the caffeine. The discogram is suppose to make the pain you are feeling worse if it is that disc that is causing the problem, it is suppose to mimic the pain they told me, as soon as it started to get a little worse I told them and they stopped cause they were able to see what they needed. I am not trying to scare you, I would do them both again if I had to, just be prepared for the pain ahead of time and it won't be as bad.
    Ask your doc. ahead of time about this just to be prepared.
  • This was a VERY painful test! So be prepared. They cannot give you anything for the pain because they WANT you to feel it so they know what they're going to fix. I had read everything about the test but was still wholly unprepared for how painful it would be. I also had several discs tested, so it seemed to go on forever. I ended up having fusions at C2-3, C3-4 and L4-5 and L5-S1 2 years ago. I got tremendous relief from the surgery, but now am having neck pain again. Had an MRI yesterday, but from the x-ray in my surgeon's office, it appears that C4-5 disc has finally ruptured and will likely require another surgery. Good news is that he can now do a disc replacement rather than another fusion. Hoping for the best, but mainly just wanting the pain to stop!

Good luck to you!
    GB
  • I have had both test's...the mylogram is a little uncomfortable, but not too bad. However, I won't lie the discogram is painful, when they were done, I sat up & they handed me 2 percocet. It lasted about a week. I too got the mylogram headache both times that I had the test...caffine helps, but I needed to go in for a blood patch...not fun!! They inject an needle, like an epidoral & then took blood from my arm & injected into my spine.

Good luck!!!