Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Forum discussions - Not Always Black and White

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Being Online has so many great advantages:

1) You can purchase almost anything online
2) You can send and receive emails from remote friends
3) You can books Travel arrangements
4) You can get the latest stock quotes
5) You can participate with Online Forums

I've been dealing with online forums for almost 25 years now. With IBM, we had a number of main frame Forums to discuss different technical items. Then as the PC started to bloom, there was a migration to the PC. First it was the Usergroups, then Blogs and now there are online forums to cover almost any possible subject.

All this is great. BUT there is one major disadvantage.

We lose the personal and human touch to all of this.
Many times you really cant read into what one person is saying. They could be making statements that are humorous, but when you read them, you take them as insults.

We at Spine-Health are not immune to this. With the varied personalities that we have online there are times when one member's post may hurt someone even though that was not their intentions. When you get to know someone well, then you can 'feel' what they are saying.

I just want everyone to be aware of this. We are a support group for everyone and that is so important. So, if you read a post that someone made in response to something you posted and you feel that it was unfair or it was an attack on you, please, use the Private message facility here to discuss this. I would be much happier if things like this were carried on offline. But if you do that and you can not come to any resolution , get us involved.

The time you spend each day on Spine-Health should be time you read other members posts to learn, make some of your own posts to ask questions, but it should never be spent trying to defend your position or feel that you are being attacked

Return to FAQ
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• :) ok! who's doing it? where are they? let me at um! i know the ropes! =)) it is difficult to portray humor in print. and this can lead to misunderstandings. ~X( then that leads to one person being attacked by a group. not nice and no fun!! so let's do as Ron suggests. use our pm when appropriate and the moderators when necessary.keep our minds open and our hearts too. Jenny :)
  • shintysshinty Posts: 26
    edited 01/23/2013 - 7:14 AM
    What is pm? I'm pretty computer illiterate so don't laugh too hard regarding some of the questions I might ask! The old saying that "there is no such thing as a stupid question" will surely be put to the test if computers are the subject and you are talking with me! Seriously though, what is pm? Moderators are the judges when there is a dispute/ That sounds good to me.
  • I'm asking a question to someone who was online like 5 years ago! This will be an uphill walk both ways i guess!
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,908
    Not a stupid question.....pm means Private message I hope that helps

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 01/23/2013 - 8:31 AM
    Ron is correct ! Typing comes off so much diferent many times then a person intended it to ,

I myself have noticed this long ago as i am not a writer and many others are not also !
    I have made many posts in the past and many times was missunderstud,
    Too often a person writing or responding can come off as rude simply for being too direct,

When asking and trying to sort out some peoples medical questions alone can often become frustrating when no direct response is given on there medical condition and test findings and doctors recommendations,
    After all none of us are psychic and reasonable medical information is needed to receive an educated response,

Dont always assume a person writing is angry or on an attack based on the way there typing skill is,
    My writing skills suck and i myself have writen in a very direct manner simply is the way i write while i am calm as can be and even joke while doing it while some at times thought i was pissed off and attacking while at my end i was having a simple conversation , This is at times people reading too much in to it assuming its an attack,

Unless you see the person coming at you with a baseball bat screaming F... You. You not being attacked. Lol

Git-ir-don.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
advertisement