Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Work

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone went back to work in a factory after an ACDF. I work in a factory and trust me it is hard on the body when I felt good. I am just wondering if I will be able to go back to what I used to do or if when I am all better will it be time to find a new job that doesn't beat my body. I had a c5 c6 4 weeks ago so I know it too soon to really know. Just wondering?
advertisement

Comments

• I think it is way early to worry about going back to work, however, if the job you had beat you up as you say, I do think you should begin considering other employment option unless they offer you relief (like clerical work).

just my opinion... Best of wishes,
  • There are people who go back to very strenuous labor jobs after and ACDF. But your specific situation and condition will dictate whether you will be able to.
  • acdf 456 and I was a catering retail mananger and it is a strenous job and I went back to almost full duty 13 weeks, and I should not of because I can not be trusted.... I have just had posteriour lamentomy with lateral screw fusion and i have to wear this hard collar for 3 months and then he will discuss when and if... which will include the weaning of the collar, and pt so Im thinking I may not be back to work till the first of the year, which will make christmas kinda hard but My health needs to come first I guess...... 3 months is a long time to be in this thing. but its better than the halo, which he was going to put me in.....
  • I was a quality inspector in a plastics factory, my job entailed lifting up to 50lbs, bending, twisting, looking up, computer work,things like that. After my 1st fusion 2 1/2 yrs ago-levels C5-C7, I went back to work being told not to look up a lot. They put me in an easier position, but still was lifting a lot of boxes and doing inspections. To make a long story short, I ended up having a 2nd fusion in April of this year of C7-T1. My advice to you is to find a different less strenous job if possible.
  • After My second surgery I went back to work after 8 weeks. I see where someone said to try clerical work, well that's mostly what I did and I had to quit. I couldn't sit for that long looking at a comp., filing was bending alot ect., I also can't lift over 10 pounds. So, what do people do in this predicament? I had to quit after being at my job since 1995. I applied for ssd, good luck, right? I think it probably depends on how many levels fused, I am c3-c7, so basically I have lost all cervical movement. But with any fusion I would be careful lifting too much as it seems to make things worse. I wish you good luck and if you have anymore questions please feel free to PM me. Good Healing... >:D<
  • Well I might not have a choice because my short term will run out in Oct. Then my company will switch me to long term disability. It really bites when a company who is hiring for all positions will let someone go just because of the short term disability thing. I have worked for this company 11 yrs, oh well I guess it it what it is. I need to take care of myself. It freaks my husband out if I have to start over because of the benifits. I am probably jumping the gun only 4 wks po.
  • I would think that 4 weeks post op and working in a factory would not work out well. After my first 2 level ACDF last November, both of my doctors told me to look for a new career, I am (was) a plumber for 21 years. Not saying that you may not be able to go back in the future, but it is best to follow the doctors orders. I know it is not easy, I have been off for 10 months and probably will be off for 6 more. Take care and hope you feel better soon.
    mark
  • I was on and off and on Short Term Disability several times last year and a few months this year. During a continuous 12 month period it finally ran out. My Long Term starts Nov 30th. This time around I went off work June 3rd. My DO had MRI's and other tests done. She referred me to a surgeon.I'm looking at 4 lvl ACDF.

The way my Company works they keep a person unless they are out with no work being done for a 12 month period. After 12 months continuosly out they will let an employee go. I've been out just over 3 months. I'm not worried yet. I've been there 6 years. Its a phone tech support position where we are constantly keyboarding,mousing, talking on the phone and staring at the computer.

I can't say yet how I will do post op. I'll have to wait and see. I would hope I don't end up having to go the SSD route. Probably not. But I do have diabetes as well.

Anyway, I figured I'd add my thoughts as well to this thread.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • for three weeks now and will be 13 wks post op tomorrow. Doin OK for the most part but by the time 4pm rolls around I am all but DONE with neck/shoulder pain. Most of which I think comes from my desk/computer set up. I dont push any motorcycles around or anything like that. I could not see goin back to a factory job though. That would be too much in my opinion. Good luck!
advertisement