Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Decompression Therapy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am considering decompression therapy; can anyone share their experience with this therapy type? Did it work, did you experience pain for a long period of time after therapy treatments? I am very apprehensive about this type of therapy and considering the cost I would hate to spend the money if it doesn't at least help with my lower back pain. Any information will be most appreciated. Thanks,lisawest77
advertisement

Comments

• I think we need more information to really help; situation, treatments, effect the injury has on your life, Dr's opinions, etc..

I have been thinking about your question for about 45 minutes because it raised an issue I never considered..... money. I suffered for a very long time before I decided to have a surgical intervention, but after I did it was always about my life style, personal, and professional outlooks.

If you are having continual pain, you cannot do the things you used to because of pain or stability changes, or conservative treatments really have no beneficial effect / outcomes... I would say it is time to consider a more aggressive approach like decompression.

Now, the money. Yes it is a lot of money, but if you put a dollar amount to your time spent unable to participate in life due to treatment, bed-rest, or just incapacity to perform, the cost really is not that high.

One thing of note..... As you read through the forums, please look for things in the signatures like mine where you see a decompression, laminectomy, etc (surgical procedures that are designed to alleviate pressure on the spinal cord or nerve root and then wind up having a fusion very soon after... from what I have seen and read, it happens frequently.

Anyways, enjoy our forums and read, read, read.... I hope you find the information you need to make a wise choice for you -- none of us will tell you to do it or not; we will just point out things and offer opinions from our own experiences. Those experiences are ALL different by the way.

Best of Wishes,
  • not had this therapy but did want to welcome you to our forum. Hopefully somebody that has experienced it will come along soon and offer you some input. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • I have tried only once the IDD Therapy and was sore for at least 3 days afterwards. They did warn me in advance. I did not continue because my insurance would not cover it and I needed more proof that it would help my condition for years to come instead of just relieving my pain temporary. Sure did sound good to me at that time because I would try anything at no cost for relief. Thank goodness for my husband, he is my rock by helping me keeping focus on the reality of my situation.
    Good Luck, Tami
  • I've had 5 sessions - 15 min each. My PT bought a machine & it was covered under my insurance. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. This was not a computerized machine - just a glorified traction unit.
  • Thanks for the response; I as well tried it once and was in pain for about 3 days. I can't find enough information regarding the thearpy to make a decision as to move forward or forget about it and continue chiropractic treatments. I will just keep researching and hope to find some answers. Thanks again for your response. Lisa
  • Hi,

I went thru all 20 sessions at my chiropractor several years ago and it didn't help me at all. I stayed sore throughout the process. I paid $1300 out of my pocket too. My discs were already dried out and they almost promise you that the decompression will heal you up. It didn't work for me. Two months ago I had a fusion on L4/L5 where I had a grade 3 annular tear, but still left with a big bulge at L3/L4.

My friend's daughter had the same treatment for 10 sessions...she's 18 and it did help her back.

I think if your discs are still good and just bulged, there is a chance that it will help and heal better.

The chiropractor that I went to and his staff were just 100% sold on the machine and it was more of a sales pitch going than reality. They kept saying they'd had a 90% success rate.

Also, that machine only worked on one disc area. If you have other problems, it will not help.
  • Hi
    Just to let you know I started decompression therapy yesterday and although it is too soon, I am hopeful it is going to help. Surprisingly I did not hurt the afternoon after I did it (it lasts an hour including the warming of the back muscles before the tx and the calming the muscles down afterwards). I am sore when I get up the next morning but that is it. They are very strict on what you are able to do for the full 5 weeks of tx such as no vacuuming, cleaning, ironing, sitting or standing for longer than 30 mins. but if if it works it is worth it.
    I am looking at paying the full cost myself since my insurance is balking, of course. However, after hurting for 4 yrs and getting steadily worse, it is worth any amount of money to get the pain to stop. My orthopedic doc referred me since all he could do was medicate the symtoms.
    Good luck to you! Hope you try it and it works for you
    Bo
  • www.doctorforbacks.com click on referral doctors. I am glad I decided not to do it because the person who owned the clinic never paid rent on the equipment and the office space, instead he took off with the money from the customers who had to pay in advance. So be careful and do a check on whoever you decide to use for Therapy.

Tami
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.