Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm a "lumbar Limbo Bimbo"

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
Hi, I'm new to this. I never had a back problem and then had 2 days of unbearable pain in my right thigh and calf that left me numb from knee to ankle, unable to walk stairs due to weakness and with my knee-jerk reflex gone (but not forgotton!) I was told that the reflex would never come back, was on a course os steroids with a diagnosis of a herneated disk and pressure on a nerve. I have had no more pain, but the numbness and weakness have not left me. I went from "hale and hearty" to "fragile" in a day. It has messed with my head as much as my body. No one seems to want to make any predictions as to whether I will ever be able to feel the strength back in my thigh, or have feeling in my lower leg. Does this sound like anyone else out there? Will I ever be able to walk steps without my leg buckling under me? I am in limbo here. And the "bimbo" part...can I have done this with those sexy high heels? I suppose pain-free should make me grateful, and it soes, but the limitations to my strength and endurance are a mind-altering change that with the steroid depression has thrwn me for a loop.
advertisement

Comments

• However, my opinion..... No pain is good, no function is bad. Have your primary car doc (PCP) refer you to a spine doc and get an MRI.

If you have feeling loss and diminished capability in the leg, a nerve is pressured, aggrevated, etc and needs to be looked at. The steroids will prove or disprove if it is temporary.. for the most part.

See the doc, read the boards, we are all in the same boat and most of us with lumbar issues know what and have experienced exactly what you are right now.

Also, if you like, give us some more info -- doc treatments, length of time, etc so we can try and help better. Most of us put that stuff in our signature section under account settings

Best of Wishes,
  • I sure have had the MRI, I've had the alphabet! Confirmation of L4-L5 herneation that is having "mass effect". From what I read I am blessed not to have any more pain, it just lasted the 2 days but was constant. Luckily I did not take my manicure scissors to my leg. Neuro doc gave progression as oral steroids, then epidural steroid injection and if that does not "work" possible surgery. My question, (being the Bimbo, remember) what does "work" mean? No pain, so it can't stop the pain. Can't have my knee-jerk reflex back the Doc said (not being a jerk is all that bad I suppose, the MD is a jerks with big $ and no answers) I am frightened about the loss of strength or feeling of weakness in the leg and by the lack of skin sensation (numbness) along my shin from knee almost to my ankle. These physicians are like factories. They have seen dozens like me, why is it that the only one important to ME, is ME! Yo! Bimbo! Do they just assume we know what they know, or that we have no need to know? Perhaps our bodies are so top secret we are not supposed to know how and why they function, only they are supposed to know? Perhaps I am such a Bimbo that I lack the capacity to understand? Why can't I have my own knee-jerk reflex back? I want it back. And BTW, does anyone know where it went??? Because from what I have read, loss of this reflex is NOT a non-issue. It causes real problems with balance and can cause the thigh muscle to atrophy...oops, perjhaps this is confidential information.