Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Whoops!

LoLLo Posts: 694
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was just in the shower and I sit on the edge of the tub to shave my legs. When I was done I went to fill a cup with water to get all the soap bubbles to go down the drain.... But as I bent forward I must have gone a little too far, because I felt something give in my back and the worst pain shot right down my leg. I almost fell off the edge of the tub. Haha. But anyway, now it feels like there's this painful pressure/knot back there. It didn't go away as soon as I got up and walked out like my back pain usually does. It's like a constant pressure ache feeling now... Anyone else have this happen? Glad it's happened BEFORE surgery instead of after, but... I've bent too far over before and never had this kind of thing happen.. SO I dunno? Any ideas?
advertisement

Comments

• Not sure if you already have a ruptured disc and maybe more material has come out or if it might be a new injury, but it sounds similar to the feeling I had after my L4-L5 disc problem.

Are you due any further MRIs or anything before your surgery where they can check it out?

Hope it eases off soon,

Cheeka

ps - how is your son doing? Does he know you are going in for an operation?
  • Lo,

At first I forgot that you are still before your surgery, and I almost fainted. It must be painful and I am sorry about that, but maybe the surgery will take care of it. And please remember, after the surgery NO BLT!!! Etch that into your brain. And yes, your life as you know it now will be gone, but hopefully so will be the pain.

Take good care of yourself now, and after the surgery too.

Hugs,

Kin
  • L4-L5 was ruptured, a pretty significant amount of material, too.. Almost the entire length of the disc. Had the MicroD and nothing got worse after that, but nothing changed, either. I don't remember what happened with L4-L5, because it kind of happened gradually over time. But the pain is mostly focused on the right side... Which is where the disc was mainly herniated before, and where the nerve was pinched. So maybe more material came out? It hasn't gone away yet at all. It's not as severe as it was when it first happened, but it's still significantly more painful than before. I dunno. I don't really feel like calling my Neurosurgeon and trying to get my state funded health insurance to cover anything else... But I dunno? Im gonna take my pain meds, and see how it goes. I'm supposed to bring my son to the big E, (eastern states exposition) and it will just be walking. SO I guess I'll see how that goes! Haha. No, he doesn't know. He doesn't know what surgery is. I think what I will end up doing is just telling him when I leave for the hospital that I will be back in a couple days... And then when I get home I'll tell him mommy has a boo boo. Lol. He sees my scar from the MicroD all the time and he goes "What happen????? You okay????" And kisses it. Lol.

• Yeah, it's after first surgery, before the second. I normally don't have a problem bending a little bit, since Aquatic therapy after the MicroD I had a better range of motion. After the fusion I plan on being very conservative. I need to get it fixed so I can start feeling 22 again!

• Lo - if you don't mind me asking, why do you need a second surgery so soon after the first? Did you know in May that you were going to have this surgery or did something happen that requires another procedure?

• I need a second surgery after the first because I've been out of work for a year and a half. Gotta get back in the game. MicroD didn't fix the problem.... Nor did anything else I've tried, so the only answer is to fuse the problem area. I'm young and the rest of my discs are fine, which is the perfect set up for fusion success. I already knew that if the MicroD didn't work, there was a possibility of fusion. My disc is totally shot, dried up and useless. It's not just a herniation, so there is no fixing it. The MicroD was done to remove the material pinching my sciatic nerve, so that I could work on strengthening my back to see if it would help with the pain. It was never really done for my back, per say. Just for my Sciatica issues. The fusion is hopefully going to fix both. My doctor is pretty optimistic, so I'm trying to follow her lead.

Don't know what the heck happened today, though. I decided not to call the dr right then and there. I'd rather give it til tomorrow and see if anything changes. If it doesn't, then I'll call and leave a message with her secretary.
advertisement