Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy REDO???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone reherniated right after a microdiscectomy and had a redo? I reherniated 4 days after surgery at L4-5, confirmed today by an MRI. The surgeon says I have the same 85-90% possibility of success with a second surgery. Of course since I was in the 10% who reherniated the first time, that isn't making me feel any better.

I am worried I am heading down a slippery slope and yet I don't feel I have any option. I can't function with the level of pain/discomfort in standing, sitting and walking that I have now.

serious LBP since 1/08 (many bouts before)
MRI shows L4-5 herniation 7/08
ESI 7/08 no relief
Microdiscectomy 9/3/08
MRI 9/16/08 shows L4-5 herniation
advertisement

Comments

• 4 days is quick, you must be an over-achiever!

I am really sorry to hear that you have to do it all over again, but you will get through just fine and I believe what your surgeon told you about the success rate.

Take it easy this time... you can only have do-overs so many times then you get shiny new hardware!

Best of Wishes,

• How did you know that you had reherniated? Was there an acute pain? How did you feel after the surgery? Was the pain gone?

I ask b/c I am having pain after my MicroD (6/08). I wonder if I've reherniated.
  • What else have you done for the issue? What kinds of physical therapy? Have you tried Chiropractic a few days a week? Or cortisone injection?

I wouldn't worry too much. MicroD is an easy surgery. Well, for me it was. Was like a cat scratch on my back and forget about it the next day. Lol. With minimally invasive surgery there is a lot less scar tissue resulting from surgery.... So even if you have another one there is nothing to lose, really. It's much better to attempt it again if your surgeon thinks you have enough disc left to do so, than to skip to something major right away.
  • so far so good - leg pain initially gone. Thanks, Lo, for your posts.The surgeon said there was still 80% of disc left after my 2nd micro today. He showed me the fragment he took out and said it was big. Now I am very nervous about ANY movement I make, so I need reassurance I will not reherniate again just because I am walking around and getting in and out of bed.

• I reherniated 5 days after surgery micro at 4/5. I p/u my son when he fell. Good O mothers instinct. Messed myself bad. I think it hurt worse the 2nd time around but that is just my opinion. I had surgery again 3 weeks after the first date. We wanted to see if the inflammation would go down by medrol dose pack, ibuprofen, and epidural. It didn't. Now after the 2nd surgery I have scar tissue and a new bulge that depending on what I do sends me the same sensations down my legs. Not as bad as before surgery and it is on activity related where the first one just did it all of the time. So I don't know your case but mine will never be better. Now I have severe degeneration in that disc from all of the herniations and the one above is the same. Surgery in 04 3/4 reherniations I don't know how long it really didn't bother me that bad but I didn't have that one fixed
advertisement