Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Don't know where to turn to!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
I have had 3 back surgeries in the last 5 years (all laminectomy/discectomy on L-5 S-1). A few weeks ago I was in a minor car accident and I'm having major pain in my back and down my leg. My MRI results show that the same disc is bulging and hitting the nerve causing the pain down my leg. I should be a pro by now at understanding all of this. But I am so confused. The Dr. says that a bulging disc and herniated disc are not the same thing and in my situation this time is not operable. I've been reading on line, though that it is the same thing. I am so confused. Also, in the past, steroids, different types of injections, physical therapy, etc. has not helped. Does anyone out there have any advice??? I am 31 years old, and I feel 80. I need some feedback, please!

Krista
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear about what you have gone through Krista.

Welcome to this site, everyone here is very friendly and will offer you lots of support if they dont have any advice to give you, for your particular situation.

Its gonna be best for you to get a doctors appointment and see what they have to say. I would hate to give you advice and it cause you more damage.

For the pain I guess you have tried the hot/cold therapy...

Take care and know that people are thinking of you.

ALl the best
    Danni
  • Thanks for the message and support. I just came from my chiropractor and spoke with my neurosurgeon....and set up an appointment with the neurologist that ordered my MRI. I just don't see the pain getting any better without surgery (NOT THAT I WANT A 4TH ONE!). I'm just tired of all the "wasted" time with therapy, etc. and not being able to get relief! I just want to be a normal 31 year old!
  • I wonder if the reason that they may not be able to do surgery could be that there is not enough disc left? I have also had a microD and most of my disc was removed at L3/L4. I know that they can't leave it bone on bone without a fusion. Good luck and please keep us posted. I think a herniated disc is actually ruptured where a bulging disc is just protruding out but don't quote me on that.
  • :) hi and welconme to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have a bulging disc to and they won't do surgery. i use conservative neasurees to help with the pain. i take 300mg of Lurica daily as well. without pain medications and a good exercise program i would not be where i am today. mobile many days and feeling so much better most days!! =)) for me exercise is key to my recovery. good luck and i hope you find the help you need. Jenny :)
  • You are right to be confused - many doctors (and Internet sites) use the terms bulging disc and herniated disc either interchangeably or with different definitions. There's an article on this site to help clear things up -

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/herniated-disc/whats-a-herniated-disc-pinched-nerve-bulging-disc

Hope this helps, and best wishes that you start feeling better soon.

Stephanie
  • Hi Krista, I am new here too looking for support. I too had lumbar laminectomy /discectomy on 8/29/07 and still having the leg and back pain as you do. My disc was so bad the NS had to keep moving it laterally to fix it.Now every thing is loose and grinding together and pinching the "NERVE"!Had 3 epidurals and P/T but nothing has worked for me either. Only thing is that I am 58 years old . You are so young to have this horrible pain. I am scheduled for Fusion with pedicle screws on Oct. 27th . I am not crazy about this but need some relief. I have read some sobering stuff on this site and am getting lots of info for after surgery. Never was in a hospital for me till last year.
    Sounds like fusion might help you or a different NS. Hang in there and I will be watching for your progress.
    RB in Indiana
  • :) retiredboater, welocome to the forum! i am sorry to read you will be facing surgery soon. check out the "Good News" section for a read on successful surgeries. good luck! Jenny :)
advertisement