Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
What is myofacial syndrome? I started P/T last week after my acdf. Today I did not want my neck & shoulders massaged as it kills me. She looked through th surgeons instructions & said something about myofacial ? She did some neck streches & gentle massage. She said it was the lightest touch. To me it did not feel very light at all, it hurt. My whole right arm & leg went numb, cold & tingling. Now hours later I hurt really bad & am still quite numb. Took my pain med & lie down & hope it gets better.
I don't think it should hurt so bad. I've never heard of myofacial pain?
Does this mean anything to anyone?
Thanks,
Kim
advertisement

Comments

• Not educated on it enough to comment, but wanted to say I hope you feel better soon.

"C"
  • The numbnesss & tingling sensation did calm. I was numb & "cold down my arm & leg for hours. I call the P/T yeaterday afternoon. She was quite surprised, "no this is not normal, in fact you should be feeling better" She reminded me of the lightest touch & referrd it to being the touch of a dime. She would make notes & alert my P/T for Friday. -She is due to have baby will be gone now.-
    I called my surgeon today & explained my experience. I have to see him tomorrow.
    I feel like I am whining & really don't want to. I am honestly doing my best to be strong. This has realy knocked me down hard. I think hardest part is not really understanding from the begiining & my surgeon brushing me off when I have voiced my concerns. All he tells me that it takes time to heal & no compasion as to how I truly am feeling. I don't know how to explain it. I guess I need somebody to hold my hand at this point.
    Hopefully I will find out what myofacial pain is too.
  • Myofascia is the slick slimey sheath that surrounds the muscles. You have probably seen it on a raw steak or roast. Sometimes due to inflammation or after an injury, the myofascia soldifies around the muscle. In massage therapy, it can be very painful to free up the fascia from the surrounding tissue, allowing the muscle to move freely. But light massage shouldn't be enough pressure to break the fascia free from the surrounding tissue. If your arm & leg went numb from cervical massage, I would guess you have another problem than the massage. Have you had surgery? How long ago? More info might help with better answers to your problems.

Good luck, and hang in there. Glad you're feeling better.

Maggie