Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leg weakness

backpainishellbbackpainishell Posts: 970
hiya,
I need some advice. Every morning i wake up and my back is in spasm, which is very painful, takes my breath away! Also (not sure how i explain this) my legs dont work properly , i have to kind of grab my pj leg and pull it out of bed and when i eventually stand up my legs are weak, i feel like i am going to fall, i drag my legs can i can not lift them up. What i want to know is has anyone else had this problem? If so post me! tell me what is the cause.

Angie x
advertisement

Comments

• Sounds like a lot of us in that you are having the heavy leg, uncoordinated thing going on. It is indicative of nerves or the spinal cord being compresssed.

Make sure that you are telling your docs all of this as it is a sign of advancement in the problems.

The spasms indicate that the muscles are either weekening, or the nerves are firing to those muscles rapidily and hapahazardly -- Make sure you tell your docs all of this too!

Ask for an EMG. This test actually listens to the nerves firing and tracks the amount of time it takes for a nerve signal to travel -- whivh is predictable. The test confirms impingement and/or major compression as seen in an MRI.

Best of Wishes, and Cheers!

• leg weakness was actually one of the very first symptoms I experienced. Before the numbness and pain, there was the weakness. I had trouble getting out ofl5 the car, stepping up the curb, STAIRS!!!!! Now, after the lami and the fusion L5 S1, I stand beside my bed in the morning before i try to walk. Those first steps to the bathroom, I look like Bride of Frankenstein.

• Hiya,
    Thankyou for the advice. I will certainly be telling the doctor. They always ask what level the pain is at out of 10, but in the mornings its more a 12, it hurts so much.
    I dont know what the answer is to my problem, i just dont want to be in all this pain. :(

Angie x
  • Hiya,
    Did the fusion help you ? :S

Angie x
  • lol stockbroker you hit that discription right on the head =))
    i must say i am joining the 3 of you in this discription i have added to a few other posts concerning the same feelings.
    i am 9months post op and still have this feeling suppose i should be off to the doc with this.
    i will soon i just dont like running to the docs as im sure some of you out there feel the same way.

LOVE PAULA
  • I have this too, but only in my left leg (my issues are on my left side). Worst in the morning when I first get up, I have to use furniture to walk.

Occasionally during the day I'll move in such a way that I feel like the leg is going to "collapse out" from under me. It never does but it scares the heck out of me.

I would really like to know, does anyone else have this? Is there a technical term? --Melissa
  • Hiya Melissa, :H
    I have had my leg go from under me on the stairs :O , the result of this was me at the bottom of the stairs in a heap @) . My leg gave way from the right hip, ended up with 2 broken ribs :O

Angie x
  • That is my worst fear... on the stairs... so did it just happen that one time, or were there other times where it "felt" like it would give out, but did not? That has always been the case for me, i.e. it just FEELS like its going to collapse, I catch myself in time I suppose. So I question if its valid - if my leg actually would give way or if its some kind of twitch. (Not that I want to find out the hard way.)

Goodness Angie, you have not had it easy :S
  • Hiya,Thankyou for your reply :) .Yes there have been other times, but i have not had any injuries like i did when my leg gave on the stairs :O . I can tell you though now i am so scared of the stairs i hold on to the rail, its like a white knukle ride :O . When my leg has gave on me on other occassions, i dont have any warning that its going to happen.I have told my doctors but they are more interested in the nerves in my legs. :(

Angie x :H
  • Hiya srtayl,
    What is an EMG? Do you know if its available in the UK? Thankyou for your input. :H

Angie x
  • Hiya Paula, :H
    You have hit the nail on the head there, i dont like going to the doctors until im sure, even though my GP is understanding. :)

Angie x
  • No, the fusion did not help; either the nerve was too damaged for too long OR the dreaded SCAR TISSUE has wrapped itself around the same nerve root OR I just wasn't a good candidate for the surgery to begin with. I also have the feeling of my leg(s) buckling from time to time. STAIRS ARE SCARY. I have one of those chairs that goes up and down the stairs. I had it put in because my elderly mother was living with me when I built the house. Now I use it. I have also been known to crawl up the stairs or slide down on my keester. (Do I need to translate "keester" for the non-Yanks?) I am currently looking for someone who'll do a trial of the spinal cord stimulator for me. I don't think that would do anything for the weakness---nor, for that matter, has bezillions of hours of PT.
  • Angie, I'm sue EMG's are available in the UK, its actually kind of old school. I've had one (I'm in California), it was administered by a neurosurgeon. Rather uncomfortable, it involves electric shocks and inserting a needle under your skin.

Here is the definition from this site:
    "An EMG is sometimes recommended to assess the electrical activity of a nerve root. After three weeks of pressure on a nerve root, the muscle the nerve goes to will begin to spontaneously contract. Compression of a nerve will also slow electrical conduction along that nerve. EMG’s are also sometimes useful to distinguish nerve degeneration (neuropathy) from nerve root compression (radiculopathy).
    The test involves placing small needles into the muscles, so there is some discomfort for the patient. There are no major risks, although the tests are not highly reliable in determining which nerve is compressed."
  • So I was laying in bed last night and I noticed the joint between my leg and hip on the left, where I sometimes have the collapsing sensation, I could actually feel a muscle spasm... so I'm thinking this may be my issue.

Still - white knuckles on the bannisters on this side of the Atlantic too :)))
  • Hiya,
    Yes please translate keester! I just dont know what the answer is for me then. The nerve damamge is quite bad so they told me, the last MRI i had , they injected this solution into my hand, thats how they got the results they did off the MRI, i mean as far as the nerves are concerned . Just had a thought keester would not mean rear would it?

Angie x
  • Hiya,
    I know what you mean now, they are available in the UK. Dont fancy having that done though it sounds like some kind of torture. I think its safe to say i also will be staying with the white knuckle ride.

Angie x
  • Hiya, I also have this protruding lump , in which the hospital claims it to be a mystery. This swelling/lump is to the right of the scar where i had the disctectomy. When i have been examined by doctors its hurt like hell.I was just wondering could it be scar tissue thats wrapped around and attatched on to somthing, this is why im in so much pain.which is getting worse each day, im at the point of no return and on a decline.

Angiex
advertisement