Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone used water therapy for low back pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi Everyone :H I just got back from my second session of aqua therapy and I am very sore. I had a microdisctomy on May 13th and was mighty stiff from not having any physical therapy due to nerve pain earlier. My question is how long do you experience pain after water sessions before you notice a slight difference in pain level? It was quite soothing to be able to move about so freely, so much in fact I thought a ten ton truck was on me when I exited the pool. It's hard to go from the doctor telling you not to twist, bend, lift, reach high etc etc. etc. then the same doctor wondering why you are not as mobile.
I have been so hopeful so many times before and I am just on my hands and knees praying this works. Thank you for any information and experience you may have. Blessings! O:) Serenity
advertisement

Comments

• serenity- My dr asks me every time I see her if I am in the pool. She wants me to do exercises and usually reviews what I am doing. She just told me to do some exercises doing the alphabet (upper and lower case) with my feet to strengthen the weakness I have above the knees... :) jade
  • Thank you Jade The water seems to give my body the freedom to just "hang out" without the pressure and gravity. I also have nerve pain and was hoping it would make a difference with that most misdiagnosed pain. The muscles and nerves are so entwined that working them in such a gentle way hopefully they would not be so tight and less painful. Right now I am trying to tell the difference between muscle and nerve pain. Muscle aches and generally stops eventually, nerve pain is relentless. I have to find a pool close to home eventually because the aqua therapy is only for so many sessions and it's a way of educating you in the water so you can do it by yourself. Serenity
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    I have found that Aqua Therapy has been extremely beneficial for me with my Lumbar, Cervical and Thoracic disc problems.
    The pool I use is at a Rehab Center and is heated always at
    92 degrees. Never higher than 4 feet, so the exercises consists of

- Walking
    - Light resistance with paddles
    - Water bike
    - Foam Noodle exercises
    - Stretching

I have found that my lumbar responds best to these treatments.
    I spend 2 hours 2x week at this pool.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • }:) I was a swimmer before my back fusions and once i got the ok from the surgeon to get back in the water I have not gotten out. I swim 4 times a week. It is when my back feels the best. It is so wonderful to be weightless. I do not do aqua therapy per say so can't relate to those exercises but as with any new exercise regimen you are bound to be a little sore when you start using new muscles or muscles that have not been used in awhile.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I LOVED it, and I can't wait to get back!!!

It took me a few weeks (the first time), to get my legs and stomach strengthened. I did try land therapy, and they pushed me SOOOOOOO hard, I had to stop it, and find a new place for PT. Thank goodness I have a really caring, knowledgeable therapist.

I knew the water therapy was working because the next day, I felt like I did a gazillion situps. There really wasn't any pain associated during of after the water therapy session.

The best part is floating on an innertube for about 10 minutes. It is SO nice to feel weightless after having such horrible spine compression issues.

Good luck

Samantha
  • I'm pre-surgery (well, I did have a microdiscectomy in December, but I got worse), and the surgeon is telling me I should swim, but my physical therapist says he doesn't recommend it -- too much twisting for me. I think I may go to the pool and just walk in the water, float, etc. Perhaps I'll get into swimming when the surgery is done and I'm allowed to get back in the water.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Aquatherapy is my favourite thing. I had to wait 2 weeks after my fusion but couldn't wait to get into the water.
    Yes it does hurt a bit at first as what hapens is we are not feeling like we are working hard but actually we are.
    In a way it is like resistance training as the resistance is the water. I now only have 3 sessions left :''( before I finish so will make the most of them.

Isteller, I have tried doing a few laps in the pool and lke you found it was too much twisting , so I am going to get a snorkel so I dont have to twist to breathe.
    That way I can continue swimming at the local pool when therapy stops.

Serenity - dont give up just yet. At the least you can go and just walk, do a few streatches and then using a noodle hug or cycle.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • thanks everyone >:D< the more we move the better, water just makes it so much more easier. I do believe my body is sore because of not being able to have any type of P.T. after surgery. It doesn't take long before the body gets stiff and more pain sets in. I will give my body a chance to heal and give it all it needs. Thank you for the words of encouragement. Serenity O:)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.