Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

For the ladies:

asmithaasmith Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on here before...even if it has - I missed it. So I am going to ask.

Does your pain flare up even more when your period is on its way?

I am noticing more and more that I get more achy and a different type of flare up and it always falls in the week that my period is due.
Also - sex is slowly changing for me. I am very active - and lately it freaking HURTS. Anyone else go down this road? What happened?

Thanks in advance!!

Alina
advertisement

Comments

• I do think I am more aware of my pain, when that time of the month is coming around. Im a lot more emotional about it anyway.

I don't seem to have any worse pain with sex, are you talking about your normal pain, just worse during? Or pain (ahem) "down there" if you know what I mean.

If its pain "down there", definitely talk to a doctor about it. That shouldn't be painful, and there may be something else going on...
  • I notice my pain is worse with weather but not time of the month wise.

Sex - I should be so lucky lol - you ladies are braver than me - I didn't risk it for ages before my surgery :-( and when I had my annular tear I couldn't even have thought about it cos I was in so much pain!

N
  • 'down there' it hurts my legs and my back. Like the thumping is directly on my spine.
    I am definitely bringing it up at my next PM appt, but thought I would give the forum a shot at it too.

Thanks!!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
    Obviously, this is not first hand information

I have read other forum topics and have heard from other members as well as women I do know, and they all have said that during that time of the month, their back problems seem to be more intense. Even if the person did not do anything different to bring it on, the back pains seem to flare up.
    I would like to do some more scientific searching to see if there are medical facts to back this up.

But boy, I am glad I dont have to deal with just one other thing to cause flare ups

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • That's the PITS! I can say that I definitely have flare ups in my low back and legs when my period is due. Fortunately for me I'm having fewer and fewer periods <:P

Back problems can refer pain to different areas depending on which nerve and where the impingement is. I first found out that I had low back problems from the pain that was referred to my abdomen. I thought there was something wrong with my left ovary. The pain was like being in labor.

I do not have pain during or after sex thank goodness. In fact it seems to help my back (a fun way to do pelvic tilts).
    However, I have read that nerve pain can be felt in that area during and after sex. You should definitely bring it up to your dr.

Good luck,
    Lauren
  • I started a thread on this under the colum "Lower Back Pain". The name of the thread is "PMS and back pain, Woman topic" or something like that. There have been many responses! Maybe you might want to take a look. You will discover that you are NOT alone. And just to add one additional point here, not only do I have much more intense back pain the week or so before my period, but my pain threshold becomes much lower. :H
    Jewels
  • With it comes inflammation and I think that is what adds to our pain. Or I should say your pain because (thank the lord) I have been lucky enough to be in menopause so they have stopped for me. But up until 1 year ago I did experience much worse pain right before my period. I asked my doc about it several times and he always said that it should not be tied in with my back problems. However, I know my body and it was definitely tied in. The only advice that I can give besides a good heating pad is Pray for menopause! lol
  • Alina, have you tried different positions other than being on your back? That might really help and could also be fun trying to find the right one for you. Good luck.
  • As long as it's already been brought up, the sex subject, I'll go ahead and comment on it. To be very honest here, that is one of the "only" things that I have left that is still fun and good. As a matter of fact, from beginning to end is like getting a huge shot of morphine, it's the only time that I actually don't feel any pain. With the exception of when I'm laying on a raft in a swimming pool. I have always thought it has to do with the endorphins and the all of the rest of the chemicals that are released during that particular time. When my PM and I were deciding which anti-depressant to put me on I mentioned to him that I didn't want one that would have any effect on my sex drive. He asked me "What is more important to you?", I answered him honestly and said "Both!". I told him the truth, I had already had to give up everything else that I love and enjoy and I'm not willing to give this up too. If he doesn't see it my way that's his problem!
  • Because Mad Cow Disease was already taken! =))
  • For those of us ladies (and even men too) who are taking antidepressants... there are sexual side affects. I noticed them ALOT when I was on them. I felt terrible for my hubby. It really can decrease your urges, and even sexual sensations all together.
  • The docs say that period time shouldnt have anything to do with paion increasing, but he's a man and I know that like 5 days before period time its almost to the point Im crying all that 5 days. So yea, I would have to say it does correspond with that.
    As far as sex goes, I am with her... pain level is like a 10 for the five days or so after sex. Definately a mood killer. Doesnt seem to matter what position is utilized. Bummer!
  • I have been on the pill since I had my daughter 9 months ago, but for the past 2 months, no period whatsoever. Im not sure if its because my pain level has increased, my pain medication has increased, as well as my stress level. :W Not to mention the fact that they have changed my birth control pills 5 times! :? :?
  • I also have noticed that my back pain is worse when I am PMSing. I have never brought it up to my Dr. because I didn't know what he would say. It is nice to know that I am not alone. My mom went through menapause early, and I am actually hoping that I do too.
  • I get terrible lower back pain right before that time of the month- then the first day is practically torture. No regular cramps, just really bad back pain.

As for sex- I've lost a lot of the urges to even have it- and I'm not on any meds other than vicodin or muscle relaxers. No anti-depressants. I find that my back hurts in many positions and I will be in crippling pain before it is over. I don't enjoy sex anymore because 1) Nothing ever happens for me, 2) I'm always in severe pain after.

This has been a huge strain on my marriage- I am 28, and was married 2 months before my accident- so hubby got the short end of the stick on that one. He is usually very understanding but gets very frustrated too (understandably).
  • The sex part I was'nt sure how to approach on S-H.. :))(

I'll just tell you and the admin & mods can edit if they see fit.. ;)

Hmm,not too be graphic or anything,but......

My b/f and I used to be pretty sexually active and spontaneous.I mean,he even had the phrase ANYWHERE ANYTIME copywrited/trademarked.. :)

So yeah,things have changed in that dept. somewhat (substantially)All that I can say is that it did happen slowly and it's not exactly dead...but I sure do miss the way things were.We joke around about it sometimes and we laugh,but it seems like we always end up looking at each other with that look..it's a little sad because I feel like he's getting punished because of my body.

*There's more than one way to skin a cat I always say.. ;)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.