Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

major chrunkching noise from spinal area since 4th week post op from 3 level spinal fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:jawdrop: help ... I see alot of you going through different issue and I havbe searched the internet for answers my surgeon is stumped but has heard the noise every step I take when I move my hips even the slightest little bit there is a loud grinding noise .. doc calls it titanium squeak but he dosent have nay answers either he is calling rep from company that makes the hardware in my back :& I am not sure what to do doc has offered to do exploratory surgery seems like they would be able to find it it is so loud people can hear it when walking beside me or behind me and it feels 100 times worse on the inside ... it feels like everything is coming apart ??? anybody with info about this issue please let me know
advertisement

Comments

• Wow, I am so sorry to hear you are having these problems. Have you had any follow up xrays/mri/ct to look and see if the hardware is in proper position? When was your surgery? I had major crunching pre-op with every little movement, although only I could hear/feel it (except others could with a stethoscope) but thankfully it is gone with the surgery. Definitely sounds like something is loose in there and I definitely think the rep needs to get you some answers. Are you still under no BLT restrictions? Did anything precipitate the onset of the crunching? How frustrating! These surgeries are suppose to stabilize us, not the opposite. Good luck and I hope you have some answers soon. Oh, and welcome to SH, this is a great site for support and information. Let us know what you find out, Sue
  • Hi and welcome but sorry to hear about your noisy problem. I am not a doctor but I do understand a bit about fusion and also engineering and this noise definitely does not sound right. The fact that your doctor is also worried is a clear sign too. I think that you need to keep pushing your doc for answers and if they aren't forthcoming seek a second opinion from another doc.

All the best... Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I agree with the others. It sounds as if you have one part rubbing and grinding agains the other. You should have an MRI to see if you can see anything.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • I have also had 3 level fusion. I agree with the others. Has your doctor performed a CT scan? I would also get a second opinion. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I just had my 4th fusion and haven't any problems really since this one. It's been 3 months since surgery to fuse L1 to L2, so now I'm Fused from L1 to S1. The day after surgery I moved in bed and felt a twig in my back and right away I had extrme pain in my right thigh and genital area, after 15 minutes the pain went away, but then since I've had numbness from my waist to midthigh. Normally I feel and hear grinding, popping and crunching noises for about 3 to 4 weeks but I still have it a 3 months. It is painful also and feels loose. my Dr. says it's swelling, but not after 3 months. I've started getting shooting pains in my legs and spikes in my feet.This surery the Dr. used BMP, could that cause the bone graft not to adhear to previous fusions? Also before the surgery they were unable to do a mylogram because they couldn't inject the dye into the spinal cord because the bone grafts from the previous fusions has grown over the spinal canal joining both side of the spine. Is this causing a problem? Dr. says no, but Dr.'s need to think outside the box of all possibilities. Everybodys body is differant and we still don't know exactly how the body works, if we did we could cure a cold or cancer and so on. Dr.s need to take the binders off. Insist something should be done or be reffered to a differant Dr.. Good luck
  • Susan - Oh I am sorry you are going through this. I too had a 3 level fusion and boy that is enough without all the rest.
    I know when I turn in bed I hear crunch, crunch and not quite sure where it is coming from but it is fine during the day and not at all like yours.
    How long since your fusion. You said you have had this since week 4 but you dont say when surgery was.
    I agree that you need to get some inside pics of your hardware to find out what was going on.

Mikem - BMP is a hormone that is used to promote the growth of bone for fusion. So I cant imagine that it would prevent the fusion from occuring but as you say we are all different.
    I do agree that Drs need to learn to think outside the box and it is up to us to insist that they do. We have to be responsible too and that means following things through and not just letting it go.

Well welcome to you both >:D<

Blessings Sara

• I hear the same thing after a multilevel fusion. My surgeon feels reluctant to call it hardware motion but obviously this is what I fear. Have you gotten any answers yet?
advertisement