Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

was just prescribed Neurontin 300mg

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was just to the doctor for a recheck on my back and while I was there I told him about the pain Im having in my arm. He prescribed Neurontin 300mg, three times a day.
Has anyone else had this drug and if so what side effects if any did you get?

Thanks, Christina
advertisement

Comments

• Was on it for 2 weeks, never again. I was in lala land. Didn't feel right, my wife actually took the pills and dumped them because she said I was like a zombie.
  • And never felt any effects whatsoever from it. Didn't help the pain, but didn't have any side effects, either. It was like not taking anything at all.
  • I was on it briefly, never had any side effects to speak of. My mom however, was like a zombie on it. Everyone re-acts so differently to meds. Good luck!
  • Christina, I was on neurontin for about a year and had real bad memory problems. I called it word search, like in the middle of a sentence you could not pull the word "year" from memory. It was really wierd. It helped my nerve pain so I did stay on it that long and then had a long talk with neurologist and decided to stop. On the other hand my father has taken larger doses for years. He has diabetic neuropothy and takes 1200mg 3x a day and he is sharp as a tack. Everyone is different good luck to you, like I said it did help the nerve pain I had.
  • it does something for the pain in my back at least. I had my PLIF on June 24th and have been having a little more pain lately than right after surgery. The surgeon says its from the muscles and nerves healing. He's thinking my arm is either totally unrelated or my neck starting to act up again. He also prescribed Motrin 600mg every 8 hours. Also Im taking percocet 10mg, 1 or 2 every four hours as needed and Flexeril 10mg every 8 hours as needed.
    I've never taken Neurotin before but have been on something similar and it made me extremely depressed to the point I weaned myself off it.
    I understand Motrin isnt suppose to betaken and my surgeon is well aware of this but says that if its taken in small bursts it wont hurt the fusion. Even so, I dont think I'll be taking too many of those.

Christina :)
  • for the reply :)

• Good luck with your upcoming surgery :)

Christina >:D<
  • You know... I get that NOW... Today I couldn't think of simple words like... Contradict...And the others i can't even remember. I never noticed any other memory problems... but I totally get that word issue. It's weird cause I haven't taken Neurontin for a couple months now...
  • You are 2 weeks after me and I can relate. My PT chalked it up to more activity. Even today I went in and said how much my butt and leg ached. She did some deep massage and told me that because of the fusion, above and below work so much harder and the pain I was feeling today was swelling which was pressing on nerves that are still tender. I felt much better after, but I have taken a few percoset the last couple weeks and I had not taken any since 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I hope the neurontin helps you and take it easy.
  • I too, was almost off all pain meds before this flare up again. My surgeon said that the back pain was probably caused from me feeling better and pushing myself to do things that maybe I shouldnt be doing quite yet.
    I start PT next week and I am dreading it. Any time Ive had PT before they do everything except maybe give me a deep tissue massage which I think would work better than all the other things they try.
    Anyway, I hope your recovery is going along as well as you expected it to and you are now more pain free.

Best Wishes,
  • I took neurontin for about a month after my microD. It worked better then any narcotic pain med I've ever tried for my nerve pain. I was able to quit taking percocet and just take the neurontin and also could go for walks again without pain. I was taking it when I started physical therapy and it really helped me to be able to do PT. I was a little spacey on it but not near as out of it as percocet or Ultram make me.
  • I was put on Lyrica which is also Gabapentin. I was having really bad jerks during the night and would wake up screaming with the pain. It took 4-5 nights but now it has kicked in and I have had good nights sleep since.
    I am definitely more tired on it esp as I am still having 5mg Oxy SR x 2 and Endone as needed so the combination makes me tired.
    I hope it works for you Christine, I know on the Meds forum there were quite a few people who swore by it.

Blessings Sara
  • Soooo...I woke up this morning and my arm is getting worse, hurts to move it even a lil. Gonna go pick up my prescriptions and hopefully they'll help. If Not I'm suppose to call the doctor to set up an MRI on my neck which Ive already had fused a year ago.
    I'm hoping neurotin doesnt make me too spacey cause I have to drive on a daily basis to pick up my daughter from school then take her to work. The percocet and the flexeril dont make me spacey as I think Ive built up a tolerance to them.
    Anyway, thanks for the replys...I'm off to pick up my daughter and my scripts.

Best Wishes,
    CHristina :)
  • has been one of the pills that give me nausea,,,,,,,,,,,,, baddddddd nausea,
  • Christina, don't worry about PT, most of the time it makes me feel so much better. I love the aqua therapy. Land like you said I go for the deep tissue when I feel pain. Are you going to be doing water PT? I also never felt spacey or drugged on the neurontin it was just the memory thing. Good luck with PT and hope you are feeling better.
  • I have been on Neurontin for about 6 months now. My PM doc just increased my dose to 1800mg a day and it does help with my leg and feet pain, caused from bone on bone contact due to no disc in the L-5 S-1 L-4 region. The memory thing is very true for me, I remember thngs that happened a month ago, but a conversation I had 3 minutes ago seems like a foggy dream. I also have trouble getting some words to come up or out, which is very frustrating. It has affected my job performance some but the pain is better, so it's a trade off I guess. #o
  • I have been on Neurontin for about 10 years now and I take 1600mg three times a day. I have no issues with sedation, fogginess, memory loss or nausea.

Oh and it does help tremendously with the pain. :-)

"C"
  • Thats alot of Neurotin in a day...lol :)

Best Wishes,
    Christina >:D<
  • I do 1800 mg each day. I thought my memory was bad before. Well, I forget stuff all the time now.

What are we talking about??? :?
  • Christina,

Everyone's body is different in how it handles medication. The key is to find what is right for your body. Find the balance between effectiveness and minimal risk.

"C"
  • Ive been in it for three days now and its already effecting my memory....just little things like what month were in and what part of the month were in, and did I watch that movie last night or not? kinda stuff......lotsa fun lol

CHristina
  • Give your body some time to try and adjust. If you can't remember what movie you watched last night, then re-runs should be awesome for you! =))

"C"
  • I needed that :)))

Christina - with my Neurontin and Topamax memory loss, I'll be watching the same crap on TV as you. Cheers!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Thats one of many I tried and flushed down the toilet. That one I couldn't flush fast enough!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • All those poor rats, and roaches that were exposed to the drug. =))
  • I am not on as much as some of you, but I take 300mg before bed and 100mg in the morning. At first when I started taking it I was nauseous and dizzy in the morning, but that only lasted for a week or two until my body adjusted. Now I really do think that it helps me sleep better at night without pain. There was one night I forgot to take it and I really had a painful night.

advertisement