Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My husband has DDD Spinal Stenosis and Osteo arthritic disease

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, My husband is 47 and has recently been diagnosed with all of the above. He has 3 herniated disks at L4-L5 and one other I cannot remember. He has spinal stenosis at L5 and 2 buldging disks as well. He has been on the fentanyl patch for 6 yrs as well as percoset, oxcontin, lyrica, neurontin.

At first we thought all the pain was comming from his hip. He had a total left hip replacement in January of 2008 and was scheduling his right hip for January of 2009, because it was bad and the pain was unbearable even after surgery. The doctor told him to get an MRI because the pain he was describing could not be comming from the right hip as it was not yet ready for surgery as he first thought. So the MRI done July of 2008 revealed all of the above.

It breaks my heart to see him in so much pain. He was always so strong and nothing would stop him. He'd go to work then come home and cry all night from the pain and the night cramps. Now he cannot even go to work. He's gotten 2 epidorals to his spine and another due today all over 6 weeks time and it hasn't helped him at all. I don't think today's epidoral will work. I'm trying to run our business and he's trying to help from home. But I miss my husband and I miss him being strong and healthy. I'm afraid to get close to him because it'll set off a cramp.

Doctors have given opposite oppinions and many tell us not to undergo surgery. They say live with the pain. I cannot imagine seeing my husband fall apart piece by piece because of the osteo arthritis. He cannot excersize to keep it from progressing because of the pain. Already in 2 short months his body has undergone degenerative changes. He has bulging on his right side and his neck and should are causing him intense pain.

HAS ANYONE GOT ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT LAMINECTOMIES THEY HAVE HAD? I AM LOOKING FOR LONG TERM, NOT ONLY SHORT TERM.

I have only read about short term surgeries that they have had good results from, anything else has been bad, bad, bad.

We are both afraid of surgery, but I am wondering if this
may be his only hope.
advertisement

Comments

• sorry to hear your hubby is having all these problems, yes i too have stenoisis ans arthritis my back problems started when i was 15 im now 32 and things have gotten a whole lot worse, i have had surgey and for me it didnt turn oout good, i have really bad weakness and its awful, i have gone from being able to cope to totally disabled and i mean that in every sense of the word..but heah everyone is different and maybe surgery would help your husband but i would explore every possible option first,,,,,,cause once its done its done...............hope ur husband gets some ease and soon
  • Wow,

ok. I'm so sorry to hear your surgery did not turn out well.
    I am so confused, tired and really stressed. I wish there was something I could say to help you.

Be strong.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i had a double laminectomy on L4-L5 and have only good things to say. my current conditions have nothing to do with that surgery. try reading the "Good News" forum for more successful surgeries. from what i understand DDD and arthritis are not usually treated with surgery. that is where i am. i depend on conservative measures to control my pain and give me a quality of life i can enjoy. good luck regardless of your decision. think long and hard, you cannot go back! Jenny :)
  • I suffer much the same as your husband does. One thing that you did not mention in the list of meds is a muscle relaxer. The cramping that you speak of is actually muscle spasms and muscle relaxers work very well for this. Also, I have been fitted ( at an orthotics and prothetics place) for a lumbo sacral back brace. It has helped me tremendously because it helps to keep my spine stable and I don't twist and bend in ways that I will pay for later. My doc has also advised against fusion but has suggested that I hold out for a better more successful option to come along and that is my goal. I really feel that the brace and muscle relaxers will help him alot and it really is worth talking to the doc about. Good luck and please keep us posted.
advertisement