Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do I do...HELP!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications

I have had two back surgeries, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, etc.. I have been taking the Fentanyl Patch since 2003. I had a Dr. Appt. Weds, 9-17-08 with my family doctor and I called Tuesday morning to reconfirm the time and was told that the doctor was going to be gone for atleast 90 days! I didn't receive a letter, get a phone call, nothing! If I hadn't called the day before, I would have been there for my appt. with noone to see me! Anyway, the receptionist gave me the phone number and name of the Doc who was going to fill in for my regular doctor. I called and told them who I was and the prescriptions that I would need and they said they would call back. The next day, I called the new Doctors office and found out they she left town because of a death in the family! What am I going to do about getting my refills?? I have never had to go without and after reading all the information about not stopping the patch abruptly, I am scared to death! I feel abandoned by my Doctor! HELP!
advertisement

Comments

• Did you show up for your appt.?Someone else was probably filling in.

My Dr always calls me the day before to confirm appts.,I have never called them to confirm an appt.

BTW-Welcome to S-H :)
  • There should be a Doctor overseeing the patients of the 2 doctors that aren't in right now. I can't imagine leaving countless patients without prescriptions they need-especially if there's meds like blood pressure, insulin, etc. and not "just" pain meds-not that pain meds are any less important, mind you.

Have you called the regular Doctor's office back yet and told them that Doc #2 is out on bereavement leave? Somebody has to be there to handle such things, otherwise the office would have to be completely closed.

If you're able to, I think you should physically go to the office rather than just call and be put off till "whenever hey get to it". If it's not possible for you to go there, then by all means, call back and ask them what it is you're supposed to do. If nothing else, they should at least write you for the number of days the Doc is to be out of the office. Try to take a deep breath and then give the office another call, OK?

Hang in there. I know it's an awful thought but maybe it won't come to what you're fearing. Just be your own advocate and explain calmly the situation to them.

I have faith everything will be alright. Keep that chin up and try to have that faith too, OK?

Keep us posted-I'll say a little prayer for you right now that this issue gets resolved this afternoon.
  • Let me be clear. I wasn't for sure of the time of my appt. That is why I called the day before to ask. That is when they told me that the doctor was on leave and who the doctor would be to fill in. Someone has dropped the ball! I called the hospital where my regular Doc's office is and when I asked the operator to connect me to Administration she asked if it was in regards to DR. _____ (my Dr.!!) When I said yes, I was never connected to Administration!!!! The operator told me what I already know!! Finally, I called back and did get to speak to someone in administration and told them my problem and I'm supposed to get a call back! So hopefully I will. Basically this is BS! Not just for all the pain managment patients he has but the diabetics, cancer patients, HBP patients etc....what are they going to do as well??? Thanks for all the input!
  • Hey Tanya, Thanks for all the positive support!! I am still in the dark here. I don't understand what the covering doc's patients are doing. There is a doctor that is treating my reg docs patients but only if they're are in patients and has refused to fill any scripts. Isn't that wonderful?? I called the manufacturer and they said NOT to stop this med abruptly and to go to the ER if I had to. My pharmacist said to go to the ER BEFORE I start having withdrawls. This should have been completely avoided~! I'm so upset!
  • Is there anyone from the office that can call the charge nurse at the ER or whomever to explain the situation. Fentanyl withdrawal is no joke. This is in the hope that the ER doc will give you enough Fentanyl to last until your PM doctor gets back. Also, if someone from the clinic vouches for you, you'll be less likely to be given a hard time. Or you can still go to the hospital, and ask them to call the doctor who is covering for information about your condition and that you're on Fentanyl for it. These are just suggestions and I hope this problem will be solved. Take care
  • I'm sorry~I was trying to be more supportive.I was going to think on it and come back with something earlier...I was waiting for you to answer my question;

Did you show up for your appt.?

Now I see that it was yesterday...*my bad*

How did things end up...I hope you got everything sorted out.

~~THIS POST WAS EDITED BECAUSE I WAS NOT ON MY GAME..AT ALL~~
  • Welcome to Spine Health. How soon until you run out of meds?

Tanya is right, you need to go there and put a face to the name and situation. By you forcing the issue, you may be helping out someone that isn't aware yet or capable of helping themself.

Definitely use the ER before you run out if you haven't gotten this resolved by then. If you can get a copy of your treatment records, take those with you.

Keep a record of what has happened and dates and times and names.

"C"
  • How are things going? Were you able to get a prescription? Did you have to go to the ER? ARE YOU OK?

We're here for you-it is inexcusable the situation you've been left in and I certainly hope you're going to (tactfully) give them hell for doing this to you! The Doctor has surely been irresponsible-who knows how many other people will suffer withdrawals at the hands of this idiot?

Please let us know what's up, OK? We do care! >:D<
  • Holy shit what a nightmare . Im so sorry to hear this its like they pulled the rug out from under you. It should have been the doctors responsibility to have another doc to ADEQUATELY care for his patients that got dropped unexpecantly. Have you considered Methadone clinic? If you go to the methadone clinic
    make sure you got a patch on to get methadone maintenance.

Best of luck :)))
advertisement