Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone with a vertical scar on your neck?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was just wondering if I'm the only one with a scar that runs vertical. Mine is about 2 1/2 inches long and it looks so obvious.

I had three disks removed and fused with plastic and titanium..

Does anyone else have the same kind of scar that I do?
advertisement

Comments

• I am 7 weeks postop and have the vertical scar. I am using meladerma & retin-a on mine. Did you use anything on it after surgery?

If it really bothers you, I believe a plastic surgeon could try scar revision.

Hope this helps,

Bridget
  • Thank you for writing back.
    My scar is from a year ago, but I haven't seen anyone else with this type before.
    I was at the PT office for my daughter's ankle injury and a lady was talking about her surgery. She sounded like she had quite a bit of work done on her neck but her her scar was horizontal and barely visible.

My scar isn't too bad, but it is visible.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :SS
  • Mine is the same as yours,right up the right side. same length.i had a 3level done as well.i guess when they do more levels they need more room to see.LOL i'm only 5months and it still looks ugly to me but i try not to look at it too much ;)
  • I have a nice long one in the back of my neck, generally covered by my hair.

"C"

Sorry couldn't resist comparing scars =))
  • I would assume that the positioning of the incision has to do with which levels are being worked on and the extent of the work to be done. My front incision is located exactly in the middle right at the base of my throat, about collar bone level. I think that is because they needed to reach the T1 area. This incision is fading quite nicely. However, I have a whopper of an ugly incision down the back of my neck :''( .

I will add that I have seen some vertical incisions along the side of necks that have faded very nicely too. It does take a long time, but eventually it won't be so noticable.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Have to say that I have one in the front about 4 inches vertical and one in the back about 7 inches. My Wife thought it would be funny if the incision went horizontal in the front...she thought it would be cool to be married to a pez dispenser :))(

mark
  • I'm so glad I'm not the only one... my doctor had told me that when they do multiple levels that they have to go in horizontaly.. Honestly, I thought he was lying to me [(
    and that they some how screwed up, but now you all have cleared that up for me and I can start liking my NS again. :)

I try to keep light of it and when people ask or they look, I tell them me and my husband got into a fight and he stabbed me, but he said he was sorry and things are honky-dory now. That really gets people wondering! hee hee hee.
  • I had a posterior surgery last month, and I have a 3 1/2 inch vertical scar.
  • My scar is horizontal and right in the middle of my neck. I had C5 / C6 done. It is about 2 inches. I wil wear my scar with pride for what I have been through. It looks way better the my c section scar that is vertical from 21 yrs ago. =))
  • I have a scar like haglandc has on the posterior aspect of my neck that is about 4 inces long. This one is from a Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy at C 3-4 and C 4-5.

The Newest one I have on my neck is horizontal and I hae not measured it at this time. It is from a 2 level ACDF C 4-5 and C 5-6.

I have many surgical scars as you can see on my signature and right now I am working on the lumps in the newest surgical incision. I was tought by my hand surgeons occupational therapist how to get surgical scars to flatten and become smooth.

So if anyone would like to know about this porcess please feel free to PM me.

I think every doc is different and every case my need a different type of access.

Best of luck to all of us will recent surgical intervention that we may get our scars to be smooth and as unoticable as possible.

Chrissy
  • but only 1 from cervical fusion...posterior about 4 inches long, been 11 years but I have keloid skin which overproduces scar tissue so it looks thick and new....my other 3 scars (in the front of my neck) are from thyroid surgery, trach and another breathing hole called a crichoidotomy (sp?) My joke is that I should have been a math teacher cuz my front scars resemble a division sign dot-line-dot :)
  • I have two neck scars. One from thyroid removal surgery about 37 years ago - this scar is at the base of my neck in the front and looks like a happy face. My other scar is from my c3-c7 ACDF surgery last year and just right of my throat about midway up my neck and about 3 inches long diagionally.
    GOD BLESS ALL,
    KC
  • <):) mINE IS HORIZONTAL AND IN THE FOLD OF MY NECK SO IT WILL EVENTUALLY DISSAPEAR. YOU CAN BARELY SEE IT NOW. One year out c4-c6 fusion, titanium.
  • Hi all,
    Im 2 weeks post surgery and wondering what others think of there anterior, horizontal scars? Mine seems quite raised like there is a straw under there! Also still some swelling or i thnk it might be scar tissue...did anyone use any cream to help it heal and how early on?
  • I guess it depends on the levels done and the doctor doing them how the incision is placed. My scar healed quickly and is hardly visable (vs how it was at first). My physical therapist suggested massaging with vitamin E oil to help with the scar tissue underneath and break up adhesions (.....disclaimer....I am not a medical person and the opinions I express are just that, my own opinions)
    LJ
  • Mine is horizontal, I was thinking of having a zipper tattooed on it..... :D :))(
  • C5-C6 scar is horizontal, L-5 scar is vertical. Love the pez dispenser idea :))( too funny, laughter is better than crying. Mederma works wonders on scars..I have used it on my hands and neck and it really smooths the skin.

You know scarrification can be an alternative form of aesthetic pleasure...

Just a thought
  • i've been using bio oil on my scar and i find that its helped much more than the vit.E it was quite raise but since i started using it its flattened and lightened extensively.my scar is quite large but wouldn't think of getting rid of it,i went through hell to have this surgery done so why hide it.Its kinda my trophy ;)
  • I feel the same way tammyc. I stopped by my office, one of my co-workers pointed out my "ugly" scar. I told her I wear my scar with pride -- it signifies the end of years of pain.
  • My doctor cut in the "wrinkle" on my neck. You can't even tell I have a scar.
    I hope after my next surgery the same will hold true.
  • Hi all,
    I have a vertical scar on the right side of my neck and horizontal line right next to it towards my shoulder. I had a scar revision done 6 months ago and i donot think the plastic surgeon did a good job fixing it. I took steriods to flatten the scar and it looks ugly. Can anyone suggest different ways to make the scar look better if not invisible.

Thanks,
    CN
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,359
    Well i have the original horizontal scar from my 3 level on my right 2-3 inches .... then I have the scars from my second ADCF 4 level on the left horizontal 3-4 inches. I then have the 8 inch vertical scar on the back of my neck where the placed the 2 posterior rods and 8 screw. Then I have the 4 inch scar on my right hip from the bone harvest ..... This helps remind me why i am in such constant pain - Thanks

D
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• From the middle of the back of my head, to the middle of my shoulder blacdes. Double lamanectomy c3 to c7 inclusive.
  • can u pm me how to flattern neck scars
    cheers mark
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have a horizontal scar that has been used 3 times so it is pretty ugly looking along with a vertical scar about 4 inches long on the front and just so the back doesnt feel left out I have about a 7 inch, real ugly vertical scar on the back of my neck that i can hide with my hair. Now that it is summer I have been wearing my hair up and I can believe the people who will say ' EWWWW what happened to your neck" I always tell them I dont want to talk about it. Lol. makes them wonder and feel bad but that is what they get for being so rude. Right below my scar the tissue and muscle have withered away so my rod sticks out about a 1/2 inch so it does look pretty bad. My niece is fascinated with it and has even tried to stick magnets to my rod. Lol.
    Susan
  • I have 3 scars in the front of my neck, like my "signature says, it is what it is" When people ask me, I tell them, "you think I look bad, you should see the scars on the person that attacked me" =)) hahaha then I tell them the truth.
  • Hi I saw your post scar on neck I recently had surgery 3 disc remove with fusion and also had few other things done but how are u with surgery and how is the scar have u done anything to lighten it
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    In the front I have both horizontal and vertical. One is in the fold of my neck and the other about 4 inches long. Now the one in the back is about 12 inches long but like most woman cover it with my hair
    Susan
  • I have actually never seen a horizontal scar on the neck. My scar is over 5 inches long and really wide. My surgeon actaually said that she may send me to a plastic surgeon because of how wide it is.
  • patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    Just look at my profile pic and you'll know your not the only one. Am fused from occiput to c4.
advertisement