Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TLIF showering

backpainzzbbackpainzz Posts: 116
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am still pre op and I will be having surgery in early Dec. I was wondering how soon you all were able to take showers, The next day? I Just am really adiment on getting my 2 a-day showers. I am guessing you all had to use tegraderm patches to keep the incession dry? I know the doc will give me his orders, but after my first lamnectomy I showered the day I came home I just had to be careful and keep the incession dry. Sponge baths just dont get it for me, and I think they make a person feel better too (showers). Thanks Rose
advertisement

Comments

• I showered in the hospital on the evening of the 2nd day. Used a shower chair and didnt let the water hit the area directly. I had help for my legs and back but sitting in the running water was great. Then a new dressing was applied. All doctors give different recommendations but I haven't heard of someone not being able to shower soon after surgery.

Good Luck,
    Shell
  • I showered when I came home from the hospital. The only problem was I was in the hospital for 5 days. yuck!!!!

• I'm having an ALIF with screws and rods through the back, on October 16. I asked my NS when I could shower, and she said right away. On my back she's going to use this glue stuff to close the incisions, like she did with my MicroD, and then she said I just have to cover the front, where the internal stitches are.
  • I was able to shower on day 3 in the hospital. I stood, but there was a shower chair if need be. They covered my incision with plastic wrap and tape. I had only steri-strips, internal stitches, and the drain had been removed that am. The first 2 days were sponge bath only. They had these neat warm thick wipes, you use a new one for each area and throw them away. No need to rinse, was actually quite refreshing. Of course the real shower was great, but then I got horrible muscle spasms all down my back that afternoon, I think cause I tipped my head back to rinse. (Use the hand held if they have one.) Took a whole lot of drama and about 24 hours to settle those down, but thats another story ;) Sue

P.S. I was discharged post-op day 5 with instructions may shower with incision uncovered. Check with your doc.
  • Thanks to all of you for your responces! THis makes me feel a whole lot better #:S ;) Good luck to you lo, on your up comming surgery in October. Rose
  • Day 3-I was not allowed out of bed until day 3-so I got sponge baths until then.
  • I could have showered on day 3 but didn't care to lol I just had sponge baths. I was allowed to get my incision site wet but no direct spray to the area and I only had a bandage on that first day and night. It came off the following morning I never had another bandage. I had 23 staples and internal stitches. It is funny (as in strange, not ha ha) how every doctor does things different. You would think there would be more universal-like procedure guidelines.
  • I think wth the modernizing hospital stays are getting shorter, In '81 my husband had his gallbladder out, and stayed a whole week no showers or baths so the incesion wouldnt get wet, now its like getting a tooth filled,lol. back to work in a couple of days! thanks again Rose
  • your going to have to ask your doctor.
    first fusion was 5 days.
    my new one well the incison is longer and deepr from a PLIF so they want me to wait til about 7 days. due to infection even itf its kept dry

good luck to u.. >:D<
advertisement