Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feeling the Hardware they placed

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Strange question???? Anyone that has had L4/5 fusion with instruments placed..
Does anyone feel the instruments in their back, sometimes I can feel mine and i fells like I get hung up a bit?
advertisement

Comments

• Yea, I know exactly what you mean. I have to wait a few moments when I first get up and wait for everything to reposition.
  • errrr, I am not a doctor, but a patient who has been around here for a long while. That does not sound right. The hardware is supposed to stabilise the joint(s) to stop them moving while the bone fuses. If you 'feel' that the joints are moving then it would seem like the joint(s) might not be stabilised and if not, the bone might have trouble fusing. I suggest that you talk to your surgeon to have this checked out. As far as I am aware if you have had pedicle screw and rod instrumentation, or cages, there should be no movement in the fused joints at all.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• If they installed rods and screws, it should not move..... at all, or ever.

Of course, you id not indicate what type of instrumentation was installed or the procedure you had, so if you had flex rods installed with or without a discectomy; yes, they will move.

Please add more info so we can try and help you

Best of Wishes,
  • I had degeneration of disc, spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis. They did a laminectomy, arthrodesia, posterior interbody technique,facetectomy and foraminotomy, posterior non-segmental instrumentation, application of intervetebral biomechanical device to vetebral defect, and autograft. I'm citing from a bill and don't begin to understand it all. But when I first get up, it's like everything repositions...not really feeling a movement of anything, just a general feeling of "getting it together."
  • I had 8-1/2 hours of spinal surgery nearly one year ago. I was doing quite well the first month before my symptoms started. I have 2 rods, numberous nails and screws, cages, etc. I am fused from T2 to S1. I am cut both all the way down the back and in the front from left of the umbilicus to the left hip. For months, I have been feeling all of the hardware. The only time that I don't are for the few hours that I finally fall asleep. If I cough or take in a deep breath, something moves up and down in my mid spine. If I go to cut my food, there is continuous movement across my back. When I go to get up, it feel like I am hanging from a coat rack and everything moves. I could go out of my mind with these horrible sensations. I am scheuled for surgery this coming Tuesday and am very scared. Last year, I lost most of my blood supply and then I aspriated and had to be re-intubated. I am an RN so this is one time that I wish I knew very little. Back in the spring I started to have swelling in my arms, abdomen, back,legs and tops of both feet. This is not my normal. I have two boys and never had any swelling. I have questioned if this might be lymphadenopathy, RA, Lupus (duo to having a positive ANA titer,) something with soft-tissue swelling, something vascular or what? I am just so uncomfortable and I really don't think they know. I wish they would run more tests before the surgery. I really do not feel strong enough physically or emotionally to get on that OR table. I simply cannot continue on like this. My walking is terrible at present due to all of this and I am fused so much that I cannot seem to sit back and relax in a chair. I sit as though I am at a 90 degree angle all the time. When I walk, I feel like my arms are flacid like those of a paraplegic and just hang there. My arms and legs feel so incredibly heavy. I am not eating and yet in a matter of a week I gained 26 pounds. They presently have me on Lasix 40 mg twice a day, and it is helping some. The surgoen only wants to deal with the lower part of the back, even though my symptoms are throughout the entire back. He states that I have a pseudoarthritis at L5S1 and he wants to shorten both titanium rods and replace some screws on the left with bigger and tighter ones. He showed on the x-ray where the spine is pulling to the right. Funny, though, the month prior he could not find anything on the bone scan that was done with these same symptoms.

Anyway, yest I feel movement. When I go to get into the car, it feels like everything is pulling to the right and when I get out everything swings back to the left. It is like the pendulum of a grandfather clock back and forth.

If anybody has any replies/advice I would sure welcome.

Murphy
  • Murphy, I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Have they considered allergic reaction to some of your implants? That fluid build up is very odd. Have some levels successfully fused where he could remove some of the instrumentation? I think if you are not comfortable with having the surgery, you should hold out for more tests, or perhaps seek a second opinion. That was a huge surgery, why so many levels? Were you in an accident? As an RN, you know you have to be your own advocate. If you do not feel right with this surgery, seek further advise. Good luck, Sue
advertisement