Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP! BOTH HIPS ARE IN BAD SHAPE (ARTHRITIS)

karenckkarenc Posts: 104
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi,

I have RA and lots of other stuff. But for the past 4-6mths I have had bad bouts with my hips just hurting so bad that they even freeze up on me and I can't walk!! The first time this happened I couldnt walk for 4 days! I am 36 yrs old and I am waiting for my appt to see a new RA dr in Nov. The pain clinic is helping some but not near enough. I dont know what to do or how much more of this I am going to be able to stand! Any suggestions?

thanks,

karenc
advertisement

Comments

• I can't take NSAIDS because of what they do to my stomach and I am on plaquenil and i have a dr at the pain clinic that has me on the duragesic patch 50mcg and percocet 10's and can take up to 3 per day. but these meds arent touching it when it comes to my hips. i had an si injection back in aug and that worked pretty well and i was going to schedule to have another one soon but i dont think they will do both hips at the same time do you? i have went thru pt also. since i have ra this in unpredictable as to when i will have a flare.
  • Karen,

I'm so sorry that the arthritis in your hips is causing you so much pain. I have pain in my hips as well but to date havent had any imaging or anything to reveal what might be the cause. (I suspect arthritis as well)

I wish I could offer you some suggestions or advice. I don't know if they can do both sides of SI injections at the same time or not but it would be worth asking the Doctor for sure. Have you tried asking yet?

I'm not schooled on RA and how it works as opposed to just regular old arthritis but if I'm understanding correctly, with RA it can flare up at any time w/o warning and has nothing to do with activities that you might partake in directly resulting in a flare up-is this correct?

Also, is plaquenil an RA med? Is it possible to see about a med that is to help RA if the plaquenil isn't for that?

Please keep us posted on how you're doing, OK? Just try to take it easy over the weekend and keep the heating pad nearby. I know how difficult it is when we're dealing with unrelenting pain and I just want you to know that I'm here to support you, and that I care. I'll say a prayer for you for relief to come very soon.

Take care of you...
  • Ouch, I am so sorry that you are going through all of this at such a young age at that! I have arthritis in my facet joints and understand all too well what it is like to be bedridden for a week at a time. I don't have an answer for you (I wish that I did) but just wanted to offer my support.
  • thank you all for your kind words and support! i am doing some better today and i have returned to work (dont know if i will be able to stay all day but i am here nonetheless!) as for the plaquenil, yes it is for the ra and yes ra can flare on you at any time and anywhere, no matter if you are active or not. weather can play a part in it, it does for me anyway, and our weather is changing here so that may be the reason why i had a flare, who knows for sure. my ra dr appt isnt until nov 13th! she is a new dr for me and that's the earliest they could get me in. it stinks but what can i do? my pain dr appt is wed so i keep telling myself "just hang in there a few more days". i am expecting a phone call back from my pain dr's office today. i am going to ask about getting the injections for sure!!! i cant take much more of this. thank you for all the prayers too! i need all the help i can get. i will include you all in my prayers as well. i have prayed all weekend and like i said, i am back to work today! O:) hope everyone has a great day today. i spent the weekend on the couch and i think after i get home i will probably be right back there again but i am going to try to hang in there. i am NOT a quitter so i will do my best to keep on going. i have learned that giving up just isnt an option and i hope everyone else out there knows that too. no matter what, we can never give up! we have to keep on going no matter how bad it gets because the alternative is just not in the cards right now and we should NEVER take that in our own hands. my therapist says, "dont ever say ""I cant take this anymore, because you do and you have and you will go on. So instead you say, ""I CAN take this, i just need a little bit to recoop but i will pull myself together and go on. I CAN TAKE IT!"" so for all of you out there that the pain is so great and you just dont want to take it anymore or think you cant, just know that we are here for you and yes YOU CAN get thru it. you are strong and I am strong and we will all get thru this together! i love all of you, i dont care that i have never met you or might not ever meet you. i still love you all and i will pray for each of you.

you're in my heart and prayers and thanks again for everything!

karenc
  • yeah! just found out that my pain dr appt is tomorrow instead of wed!! yippee! AND the nurse said that I CAN get both sides done on the SI injections at the same time! yippee again!!!

karenc
  • That's great news Karen! I bet once those bad boys kick in you're going to be feeling a whole lot better! =D> <:P

Keep us posted, OK? Have a nice day at work-hope you're able to make it thru the day without too much pain. Just think to yourself when you start thinking it's time to go home that little thing you just told us about saying "I CAN", and remember that the couch will be lovingly calling for you when you do walk thru the door of your house. :)
  • OH YEAH!! that sounds good! couch bound i go! lol just hurry up 3:30!! lol :D
  • HI,
    just thought i would let you know that i saw my pain dr today. she scheduled my si joint injections (both sides) for 10/22! And she took me off the duragesic patch and replaced that with kadian. at first i will take 1 pill per day for 3 days and then it goes to 2 pills a day and then after 10 days i get my lexapro back too! she also still has me on percocet 10's for breakthru, especially while i am in the change over period. i love that she listens to me and does her best to work with me and help me! it really helps my stress level too. to be honest i was so glad to be going to the dr today because both my hips are killing me still so she got to see me and how bad i have been feeling. plus because i am in so much pain my blood pressure was up. i had 140/84 and i usually run 120/70!! not good for me at all but she totally understood why it was like that. hope everyone is well today!

all the best,

karenc

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.