Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update on leg shaving fiasco

LoLLo Posts: 694
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Lol feel ridiculous talking about how I screwed myself up while shaving my legs.

Anyway, I called my Neurosurgeon's P.A. and told them that I felt something give in my back the other day while bending forward shaving my legs, and that I'd been getting leg pain worse than usual, and getting it down the front of my leg when I usually get it in the back/side... And yesterday I realized my right foot was getting numb. It never did that before. Feels like circulation is being cut off.

So when he called me back he asked me if I could stand on my heels... Ummmm...... Ok? So I try and my left foot lifts up fine... My right foot, the toes lift off the floor but my foot doesn't budge. Feels paralyzed. Never happened to me before, kind of creepy. I've been attempting to get it up repeatedly since getting off the phone with him cause it still surprises me. He called in some steroids to my pharmacy for me, along with some pepcid for my stomach. He is going to schedule another MRI for me. 3rd in 7 months.

It very well may be nothing, just evolving pain from my already present issues... Who knows. Hopefully they can get the MRI scheduled soon and see what's up. Anyone else have a similar experience?
advertisement

Comments

• That was fast. Just got a call from my hospital where I had the last surgery at and am having my next one at also. MRI tonight at 930. They requested it "STAT". Pretty sweet... Was thinking I'd have to wait a couple weeks.
  • Loss of function in your foot. I'm glad they got you in so fast. Let us know how it goes...

Amanda
  • Hope the MRI goes OK.

Cheeka
  • Thanks guys :) They called me back 10 minutes after the hospital called with my MRI time, and they got me an appointment at my Neurosurgeon's office on Monday. They send the MRIs through the computer, so they'll get them soon as they're done. I will update on Monday!
  • Good luck Lo. What a way to spend your Friday night!!! haha
  • Hi

I hope the MRI goes ok and that your ns has the answer on Monday.

I am refraining from shaving legs so that I can have a wax the week before surgery - so am wearing trousers and long skirts. Not too hard to keep wrapped up in the UK this summer!

Thinkng of you
    Snoops
  • Thank you, Yvonne :)

Hehe I know, right! I'm hoping it will be fast, since the other areas of the hospital are closed. It's only open for emergencies... Since my NS requested one "STAT" they're taking me in ASAP. Fasted I've ever had it go. Fastest follow up, too! I'm sure if it were Thursday they'd have me come in tomorrow. They are really good there. My Neurosurgeon is really awesome. I love her! Andd I love that she's a female! You don't see too many female Neurosurgeons. She specializes in image guided brain surgery and spinal fusions.
  • Hey lo

Sorry to hear about that - good luck for the mri and let us know how it goes.

Thinking of you

N
  • Hey lo

Sorry to hear about that - good luck for the mri and let us know how it goes.

Thinking of you

N
  • Good luck with the MRI and with you exam on Monday. It is great that your NS responded so fast. Now, as far as shaving, wait with it until you can do it comfortably. Better to be hairy than suffer more serious consequences. But when you are ready to shave, try this: if you have a shower stool with a back, sit back straight, bend your knee one at the time until you can reach your leg with your razor. Some people have long-handled razors, but I never needed one. The important thing is, DON"T BEND! Let you leg do the job.

Let us know how your appointment goes on Monday! Will be thinking of you,

Kin
  • Lo..hope this is nothing major. It was great they got you in so fast. But you know your body best..you didn't think something was right and you let the doctor know. Good luck.

donna
  • that's what scares me the most: how easy it is to screw-up your back. I've read on here of members just doing the simplest of things, things they have done a million times before, but this time there is a "pop" or something similar.
    Nothing dramatic, no weight lifting, just something simple.
    Good luck with MRI and prognosis.
  • Thanks a ton! You guys are the BEST :)

I will def update and let everyone know how it goes on Monday. I am hoping I just aggravated the nerve, and nothing has actually changed back there. Could be!

Thanks again :)

Kin, thanks for the suggestion! I will have to find a way... I am such a weirdo about hairy legs. Damn OCD. Lol. I have an issue with anything on my right side... Jewelry, shots, blood work, etc... Drives me nuts. My Sciatica is in my right leg. You'd think I'd have conquered that fear by now! Haha

:)
  • THAT is a great idea!!!!

I hope your surgery goes well :( It's a big one!!
  • guess I wont be shaving my legs either........ my wife will be upset

sean
  • Your post made me laugh out loud and it made my sore throat hurt even more.

I blame you!!! ;)
  • I tried sitting on the side of the tub and shaving that way (with a cup to use to help get water where it needed to go), and it took forever. Lo, I can TOTALLY see how you could hurt your back. I was extra careful after reading your post, and even then I was having to stop myself. We become pretzels when we shave our legs!

Our hearts go out to you, Lo. It could be any one of us in your shoes right now. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.
  • Thank you :) That means a lot to me.

I use a cup, too! Lol. I thought I was the only one who shaved like that. Lol. Ugh, I know. Shaving legs is not easy. Guys have no idea... Shaving your face is so much simpler! The way you have to like bend or try to reach under or over to get around is like... Ridiculous. Hah.
  • hi lo,
    i hope ur MRI comes back without anything wrong with it.
    i just let my legs go.
    plus using a electric razor is much easier.
    after surgery well ya just kinda deal till you feel well enough to sit on the edge of the bed like me and put my leg on the dresser (bed sits up high) it took a long time but got done..
    OR nair, nair , nair , nair =))

another trick tape the razor to a long wooden spoon. i know sounds weird. forgot who came up with that last year??? amber mabye.. who knows but it worked :D
    anyways i know it bothers some people, but hey this chicka could care less what they look like now that its going toward the end of sept..

good luck again on that MRI scan ;)
  • Hehe. Never even thought of Nair! Or taping a razor to a spoon, or using an electric razor. Wow. You are like a gold mine of good ideas! Thank you very, very much. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

I genuinely hope I can have the same positive attitude after surgery as you do :)

Thank you for the well wishes :)
advertisement