Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have fasciculations?

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I do and I want to know why... I had so hoped my l4-s1 decompression/lam /fusion surgery might alleviate it. But I still have them all over my body day in and day out. It doesn't hurt but it drives me nuts and muscle relaxers do not help at all. I can't help but wonder why I have these. I plan to discuss it with my NS on my next visit but I was wondering if anyone had any input. I am beginning to believe I have benign fasciculation syndrome.

thoughts? input?

TIA
advertisement

Comments

• Have you asked your surgeon if it is in any way related to your spinal problems, or it is completely independent? This subject never had come up on this site (as far as I know) so it would be interesting to get an answer.

kin
  • Have you asked your surgeon if it is in any way related to your spinal problems, or it is completely independent? This subject never had come up on this site (as far as I know) so it would be interesting to get an answer.

kin
  • I have those ALL the time. I get twitches AND spasms both... It SUCKS. I'll just be sitting there and I get them a lot near my hamstrings... Sometimes it will happen a ton of times in a row... Like continuously for a few minutes. Other times I'll have a spasm and a body part will jerk. So weird. They give me muscle relaxers for that purpose but it doesn't make them go away.
  • The hope or theory was that they were due to the nerve root compression. I also have peripheral neuropathy. I am not diabetic and they don't know why I have it. I knew before surgery that the surgery would not change the neuropathy. I didn't notice either of those problems the first 3 weeks post-op but they slowly crept back in. I think that was because I was tapering down on meds. I also have a new post-op "dead" spot on my good leg right in the crook. It is about the size of a ping pong ball. So overall I am doing great but there are things that are still off. For me I do real well the early part of the day and then by late afternoon my hips, pelvis and tailbone area all ache. I see my NS on Oct. 8. I am going to make a list of things to ask him. The fasciculations get so intense sometimes it makes me right ill just frustrated and angry that it won't stop. I'll let ya know what I find out.

Don't misunderstand me, I am pleased with my progress and I am glad I had the surgery. I just can't help but wonder about the other things.
  • Human beings are curious by nature, so it's only logical and reasonable for you to wonder. Nothing wrong with that!

I had an MRI w/contrast tonight and they had to redo some of the pictures because my body was moving too much from the spasms and twitches. The worst ones are right underneath my right leg/butt cheek (I think the technical names sound even worse haha) and it pulsates at times. It's odd. I will find out Monday whether it's due to something new happening in my spine or what...

Definitely keep me updated & let me know how it's going and how you're doing. And share the wealth if you get any info :)
  • Kelly Jo, have you been tested for MS? I have had fasciculations on occassion, esp. the first few days post-op, but they have gone. I know a few years ago, I was having them, and read something about MS. Those have to be so annoying, I can't imagine having them constantly and everywhere :( I hope you find out why, and soon. Sue
  • Kelly jo, I also have had this. It went away for a few weeks and lately has been very annoying especially when sitting my whole back up to my shoulders. I asked PT and I wish I could remember exactly what she told me but what I do remember was something about new muscles and it being normal. I see my surgeon Monday and will be asking him also.
  • Just wanted to add, I also have been told I have peripheral neuropathy/radiopathy and no diabetes although there is a history of it in my family.
  • Just wanted to add, I also have been told I have peripheral neuropathy/radiopathy and no diabetes although there is a history of it in my family.
  • Yup, they can drive you nuts! I still get them in my legs, calves mosly, but also upper thighs, across the uppoer shoulders & even sometimes into my arms/biceps area. My NS gave me the med definition: they are "spontaneous contractions of a number of muscle fibers supplied by a single motor nerve filament" which he said simply means that my L4/5 area (where the fusion is) is supplied by n erves that were disturbed during surgery & are now firing messages to the attendant muscles they impact. Blah blah blah...He said they are usually benign & are nothing to worry about unless they cause pain (which mine don't) or get to the point that they totally disrupt your abilty to walk, etc. Again, mine don't.
    They just look weird, feel creepy & make ya worry about all sorts of dire complications. But the whole fusion thing does that anyway, right?!
    Also, when I had my recent MRI, I , too, was cramping, spazing & fasciulating all over the place--they had to re-do so many views it took well over an hour &I was so stiff/sore from lying on that hard table I needed a lot of "assistance" to get up afterwards.
    I find that Valuim helps, as do massaging the area & also stretching my legs & hamstrings. Walking helps too.
    Yes, MS scares us all...so it woulnd't hurt to keep your doc in the loop re the twitchings, etc. But my NS assured me that in most cases, they are just more fall-out from the brutal fusion surgery...& now @ 9 months out, I do feel better over-all, but still have a lot of "annoying" symptoms like these....can live w/ them, tho, b/c they don't involve PAIN! Yadda yadda yadda...
    Sometimes I walk like Walter Brennan...!
    Other days I'm OK...

Just my 2 cents--hope you feel better today!

~Lakeside
  • Thanks Lakeside for all the info! I was actually trying to research it last night and I really couldn't find too much that was in an understandable way of speaking. Mostly doctor terms that confuse the heck out of me. Lol.

It's comforting to know that there can be a benign reason for these things. I also have been stressing over them. It's nerve wracking because it can be scary, and anxiety can get the better of us. I know it did for me. I am still going to talk to my NS's P.A. on Monday about them, to be safe, because it of course could be different depending on each person. But I appreciate all the info you posted here for us. Thanks a ton!
  • I just had my first back surgery in July, I was hoping all these other symptoms were related to the nerve roots being compromised. I am 10 weeks post-op and they are no different except I notice them more because I am more still now.

I will update you on what I find out, I wish my appointment were sooner.
  • I've had these fasciculations since March of 2007. They started in my right eye. For about a month my eye would go into spasms, it would last from minutes to hours drove me nuts. Then they started popping up everywhere. I have a few that I consider "regulars". one of these is just below my diaphragm or sternum area. It is there daily as are the ones on my calves. I have a new one that has been flaring up since I started PT and it is in my left underarm area. They pop up any where and everywhere.The only ones that have ever actually hurt were a few I had early on on the right side of my neck, now those were very painful. Anytime I am not up moving around I feel them easily. I try so hard to ignore them but it is like having popcorn popping under my skin or the stronger ones in my rib and stomach area even feel like a baby kicking for those of you who have been pregnant-which I am not lol. You can see some of them actually moving. I have considered the MS idea but only because I was also told I am hyper-reflexive and I failed some kind of neuro test with my foot and toes reacting by going the wrong way. I also had another neuro test involving my hands that I failed so it has been at the back of my mind. I am planning to have a thorough discussion with my NS about all my remaining symptoms.
  • I'm sorry. That must be terrible! I can't imagine having them all over on a daily basis. That's gotta be rough. Your body has taken quite the butt kicking, huh? That's a lot of stuff you have going on there. I hope some of it can be relieved... I really hope your appointment goes well & they find some way to help you with all of this. I will keep you in my prayers. *HUgz!*
  • I have been researching fasciculations for over a week now, and there seems to be no really convincing information anywhere as to a direct cause or any type of treatment. I have had 2 separate microscopic discectomy surgeries both of my L5/S1. Since the second, just this January '08, I have been doing pretty well aside from some numbness in my left foot. Back in July I was experiencing severe calf cramping, mostly while I was sleeping. This has happened in my life before so I pretty much blew it off. Then I noticed these muscle twitches. At first it seemed as though they were only in my left leg, which was the leg affected by my herniated disc the most. These have progressively gotten worse, more frequent, and more widespread. I would say on average there is some muscle twitching at least 3 hours each day, not necessarily the same muscle. Ranging from my arms to my back and all the way down my legs. I can see the muscles moving as well as feel them. These "fasciculations" are keeping me up at night and are extremely annoying. My primary care physician passed me back off to my neurospine...awaiting that appointment as we speak.
advertisement