Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
Does an ache that goes down your leg considered Radiculopathy? Or is it just leg pain?
advertisement

Comments

• Radiculopathy vs. Leg Pain

My best description of radiculopathy would be pain that is related to nerves in the lumbar spine that are either damaged or pinched, which spreads down the legs; whereas leg pain would be just that, pain that is only in the leg and not directly related to the nerves in the lumbar spine area.

How's that? ;)
  • Does it feel like a muscle ache or nerve pain?here is a link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiculopathy
  • Hiya,
    Can you describe your ache in more detail >:D<

Angie x
  • My leg aches when My lower back aches. Say if I do too much during the day and My back starts to hurt (ache), so will My left leg. Its been like this since I injured My back and one of the responses I got from WC after denying the last ESI was that I didnt have any signs of Radiculopathy. I'm just curious as to what they mean, as to what I've been describing to My Dr's.

edit: My MRI shows compression on the left side and nerves are being compressed.
  • the link provided above is a good one.... but what I hear from you is radiculapathy.

Best wishes,
  • I agree...sounds like radiculopathy to me as well.

Nerve pain doesn't necessarily feel the same to everyone-to some it is a stabbing pain, to others it's like fire, to others it throbs, to some it's crampy feeling...just like pain in general is subjective, I think nerve pain is as well.

IMO, if your leg pain is corresponding with your back pain, then in my mind it would almost have to be radiculopathy! Might be a good idea to ask the Doctor-or at least when they ask you about your pain to tell them the pain is in your low back and runs right down the leg. That's what I've been telling my Doc's-I don't always have to break it down by what it feels like vs. the pain in other areas etc. Really all they're interested in is whether or not the pain runs down one or both legs, how far, and how much it hurts on the (stupid) pain scale. I would imagine it's this way with most of our Doctors...? :/

I hope that helped and didn't make you any more confused! 8} :)
  • Yea, I dont like the pain scale either. because My pain for the better part of a day is around 3-4 (if I do absolutely nothing), some will take that as I'm fine and not really in pain. For Me, I know what a 10 is, thats why I dont go higher then a 5. But if I become somewhat active, like doing some housework, it starts to get worse and I take that as the sign to stop and go lay down. Riding in a car for over 30 minutes is not good either, thats when the pain gets over the 5 mark and when My back and leg really start to ache and hurt.
  • Yup! I know exactly what you mean!

The nurses at my pain clinic always say I look worse than I rate myself-which is probably true, because I have never used a '10' since to me that means I'm one breath away from my last. I may tend to understate my pain, which some may say that does me a disservice, but my conscience would never let me rate my pain at the high end of the scale. In fact I can only recall one time I've said my pain was even a 9. Usually I run between a 6-8, or on a "good day" it's 3-5. But my 4 might be someone elses 9 or 10. I just know that if someone always says their pain is a 10 (or sometimes I've even heard people say higher than that) that the Doctors tend to think of us as :^o which is the last thing I want to put into my Doctors minds! But we do all feel pain differently-that's where the 'pain is subjective' thoughts come to mind.

It sucks knowing that the only way to get our pain under a 5 is to lay around and do absolutely nothing, doesnt it? :S
  • Yea, thats why My life sucks right now. Cant even go to the grocery store without having to stop a quarter of the way through the store before I say "Well thats it for Me, time to head to the check out".
  • Aww sweetie...I'm so sorry! >:D< I do know how you feel-I'm the same way, which is why I absolutely dread shopping and put it off as long as possible (I go once or twice a month and just pick up milk at the gas station in between). The worst thing for me is after walking around for so long, then having to stand in a long line-by the time I get out to the car and get the groceries loaded in the trunk, it's all I can handle to get down into the seat of my tiny little 2 door Saturn (really low to the ground). Then of course I have to push the clutch with my bad leg which hurts like crazy, then when I get home I have to get out of the car. :< I'm sure you have the same type of issues too, huh?

I finally broke down last winter and got a temporary handicap parking plaque so that I can park closer because in the winter months it's almost impossible for me to do that much walking, even with sitting and taking breaks while there, plus I slip and fall more because of the snow/ice. I try not to use the handicap spots because I CAN walk, but sometimes I just have to. I just got it renewed as a grim reminder of the 'fun' that's to come! :S Do you have a handicap parking permit? If not, you should consider getting one. It doesn't cost anything and only requires your doctors office filling out a few questions on a form and the Doc's John Hancock. Even if you never use it, it's good to have it just in case. What about using a cane? I hate mine, but I do break down and use it if I abslutely have to (I'm so stubborn that I have to be REALLY bad before I'll use it but I'm sure as I get older I will use it more). Maybe you should be using one when going out too? (if you don't already)

Do you have arthritis pain too? The stiffness stuff that gets worse in cold and/or damp weather?

I wish I could think of something else that might help you! I feel so bad for everyone that truly hurts like this...it totally sucks! It just breaks my heart when I want to help people and I can't... =(( But if I come up with anything else that I think might help you I'll let you know right away!

Hang in there and try to keep that chin up, OK? I care...

• Yes, theres lots of pain in the cold months, even in Louisiana. Didnt think anything about arthritis though.
  • Oh yea, I dont need a cane........yet
  • For me it not only feels like I have a rotweiler latched on to the back of my thigh, but I intermittently have periods of muscle weakness where my leg just sort of buckles out from under me as I walk. I'm afraid a cane might not be far off for me, as the pain has now started in my left leg also. I pray I can get the right surgery before my back crumples any further.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hiya Linda~

I have the same thing with the leg-I call it "jello leg" cause it's as if my leg turns to jello and BOOM! down I go! :S

I would say I average 2 falls per month, sometimes more-especially in the cold winter months, which is when I tend to use my cane the most. (I just turned 34 earlier this month and I just have a hard time using my cane because people do tend to stare @) , and look at me as if I'm faking or have some strange lesions growing on my face L) -and it also makes me feel like I'm getting old!)

But I have to admit I'm getting to the point of not caring if people stare just so long as using it might help keep me from hitting the ground as often!

Hope your 'jello legs' go away sometime soon! It's scary to think about that happening at any time w/o notice, isn't it? #o
  • Hiya,
    I can totally sympathise with you, and the pain that you feel.Your MRI shows nerves being compressed, that tells me the radiating pain is nerve pain. I get that down my right leg and down my left leg just to my knee. I can also relate to a shopping trip keep having to sit down. Somthing like this can change the way we live our lives. Keep smiling :D

Angie x
advertisement