Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Grabber Story

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had the funniest thing happen yesterday. No BLT, right? So, when I feed my dog I have to use my grabber to put the dog dish on the floor. Well, I had no idea where I had put the thing, so I travel all over the house, looking in all the nooks and crannies where I might have left it. Truly, it took me about 10 minutes to locate it. So...when I get the trusty grabber in my hand, I just stand there for a minute and realize that I can't remember why I was trying to find the grabber in the first place! Took me another 10 minutes to remember. Overall, it took 20 minutes for the bouncing dog to get her food. Do I chalk this up to Vicodin, muscle relaxers, or the ever popular Senior Moment? Hey, gotta laugh at outselves, huh?
advertisement

Comments

• laughing with you not at you!!
    =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

any excuse to use that rolling on the floor smiley
  • Im sorry I dont even know you and i had to giggle.
    just yesterday i was gonna change the channel with the remote and i picked up my cell phone opened it up and started pushing buttons. true story...patsy
  • My mom was a very intelligent lady but always struggled with anything mechanical. I had to buy her a wind up alarm clock because she could never figure out the digital one.

We don't have a land line phone, only cell. She was at my house one day and needed to use the phone. I told her that it was in the den.

She came in a few minutes later with the TV remote and said she could not get the call to go through.

True story, we both laughed till we cried.
  • Yesterday I tried to close the garage door w/ my cell phone--then thought the door was broken, so rummaged around for the cell phone to call the Overhead Door Co...couldn't "find" it...b/c I was HOLDING it...!

Aw, it's just Fusion Brain and our over-wrought Central Nervous Systems' way of reminding us what we've endured!

Ya just gotta laugh! Plus laughter strengthens your wrecked core muscles too! :)

~Lakeside, now wondering why I came upstairs just now...!
  • oh no whats happening to us, I have done sum real goofy things too its one thing when you do them and your all alone but in front of people that's when its real bad..patsy
  • People expect that behavior from me. My brother recently asked me "Erin, when you get old and start suffering from dementia, how will I know?"

I have always been a bit "quirky"
  • grabber story..funny..LOL. =))
    I have 3 grabbers. Last night my husband asks me where the grabber is that was by the dresser as he wanted to pick a small pillow up??..He does not have a back problem but I think he decided the grabber was a cool tool. <):) B) jade
  • I dont have a grabber, have not had surgery yet, but i see them everywhere I go, so many different kinds.
    but Im getting one next time i get out,Im a bit on the short side and i can think of many times it would of came in handy.
    patsy
  • ha thats funny - grabbers are brilliant - I had one the hospital gave me after my surgery and then when I was rehospitalised two weeks later I made sure they gave me another one!

The other week I came home and my cleaning lady was there and she said "oh this grabby thing is really good - I used it to clean the skirting boards" - how lazy! :O I am hiding them next time she comes so she gives them a proper clean!!

so many uses - and of course they a really useful for pinching people on the bottom with lol ;)
  • Where do you buy them?
  • LOL...such funny stories. We do need to laugh more often, huh? Thanks for sharing and making me feel not quite so alone.
  • I always say a good smile is better than a pain pill sometimes! patsy
  • Oh my ya'lls stories are exactly what I needed today, a good laugh! :))( I just got a phone call telling me that my aunt has passed away, and was feeling down and out as I won't be able to even think about being able to attend her memorial service, :( as I am not even a week post op. I told my hubby I needed a grabber but he has as of yet to find it for me, so I just get by, which means doin nothing :))(
  • Glor and Ewaight,
    I got a really good grabber at home depot for $20. I have also seen a different, not as good one, at Walgreens for $15. Glor I cannot believe your hospital didn't give you one as you are a lumbar patient. I got a whole kit of stuff from the hospital occupational therapist and there is a different sort of grabber that I use also. For anyone in Australia, talk to Angelback, as she has discovered the King of grabbers, she even pulls weeds and changes lightbulbs with it :))(

Glor so sorry to hear about your Aunt. You will be there in spirit even if you can't attend. Take care, Sue
  • I'm sorry for your loss.
    my doctor told me they would be giving me a grabber, but i have not had surgery yet. I see these grabbers all over and I dont get out much most drug stores for sure I even seen them on amazon thats where i ordered my neck stuff, they are not to expensive. you need one much more then shorty me. hahaha
    If you want i can search and find out exactly where and how much and i will pm you..... i did not realize your surgery was last week time flies. hope your doing good in your recovery.patsy
  • joy i do that all the time. i even put the coffee or any cabinet stuff in the freezer. for what i have no clue lol =)) =)) =)) =))
    grabbers are all over.
    like others said that is in your "little"kit they give you when you go home so that is strange.

the one at walmart is awesome i imagine its the same as lowes or home depot. those have suction cups on them much better then the ones in the hospy. those are not strong.

it says "advertised on tv" on the box. i think its the guy on the box that does the oxy commercial for stains etc.
    but they are out there.
    any medical supply store also or on the computer. i used it ffor months.
    you probably could call the hospy to and they could get you one if one is not available in the store.
    great when you drop your ice packs!!! =))
    but please don't come home and leave them in the car and need them in the middle of the night like myself :jawdrop:

glor sorry about your aunt. my uncle also passed while i was in the hospital thursday. its tuff when you have such a mmajor surgery and cannot be any comfort to your family personally..

we are here for ya!!!!!!
  • Hey Joy,

Senior moments are otherwise known as "brain f..ts". I have them too, more than I like to admit. Now as far as the grabbers, they are great when they are around, but what do you do when you are away from home? Like one day when I took out $20 from the ATM and promptly dropped it to the ground? Or today, when I dropped my valet te the Farmers market? If nobody is around and if I have easily removable sandals, I try to pick things up with my toes, but if it doesn't work, I just humbly have to ask somebody to do it for me.

Kin
  • Hey Joy,

Senior moments are otherwise known as "brain f..ts". I have them too, more than I like to admit. Now as far as the grabbers, they are great when they are around, but what do you do when you are away from home? Like one day when I took out $20 from the ATM and promptly dropped it to the ground? Or today, when I dropped my valet te the Farmers market? If nobody is around and if I have easily removable sandals, I try to pick things up with my toes, but if it doesn't work, I just humbly have to ask somebody to do it for me.

Kin

• i hear ya, sometimes the meds make me feel like an ADD patient.... really. I have said something to someone, and when they ask me what? -- I say something like I like pie.....

If laughing at ones self is good medicine, give me an IV of it.....

sean
  • Try there to buy a grabber. I got a pack of two 3ft ones bought and delivered for £6 in UK
  • I decided not to take my grabbers as they were too expensive to get lost or borrowed. So I took a pair of BBQ tongs which is a good alternative though they dont have the length.
    After I had been in for a week or so I really had a craving for chocolate- Now no-one had brought me choc as I am not a big fan but every now and then get a desperate craving.

I had spied a vending machine near the lift but kept thinking no, you really dont need it etc etc.
    Eventualy after a couple of days of this and about 10pm I decided that enough was enough, so I made my way to the machine (10 minute walk) put my coins in and pressed the button. As should happen, the choc bar came out down the bottom but I COULDN"T REACH IT! =)) =)) :''( I just got to stand there and admire it instead.
    No one was around to ask for help so I just had to leave it.
    I had my tongs with me but they were not long enough and I really wished I had brought my good reacher in.

My reacher as Cali-Sue said is the King of all. It is a Homecraft one, expensive but really really worth it. It has a magnet on the side and all.

Keep laughing
    Sara O:)
  • I bought a nice one at Bed Bath and Beyond. Has rubber grips on the ends and even a small light, in case you are reaching for something behind a piece of furniture (not recommended post-surgery)
  • LOL!!! That's got to be the WORST thing to happen...chocolate so close but soooo far away! That'll teach you to never leave home without your grabber!!

Wish I had mine with me when I went to the public library and dropped my keys on the ground before I got back to my car...had to wait for another patron to come out and asked her to get them for me. How embarassing!!

Thanks to all for the really funny stories!
  • I have done that so often with my keys that I now keep the old tongs in the garage!
    It is amazing how much we drop.

Sara O:)
advertisement