Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depression?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a L2-T11 fusion for a burst fracture at L1. I really dealing with a LOT of depression. I will never be back to where I was and can't believe my live has had to change so dramatically. Have others felt this and what did you do.

Need some help.

-mark
advertisement

Comments

• When was your surgery?
  • Mark, it is totally normal and common to feel depressed after spinal surgery. Even for those of us with chronic spine issues, who didn't have an acute event, surgery is so intense and life altering. I also have a lot of anxiety to go along. Those dreaded thoughts of what if I can't do my job, how will I support my family and such. Don't suffer in silence. You have already made of step here for support which I am sure you will get. Talk to your doctor about getting on some meds, even just for a few months to get you through this. Also try to stay busy as you can, get outside for walks, enjoy the fall weather, and surround yourself with supportive people (like here). Take care and tell us more about yourself. >:D< Sue
  • This is for Mark, Could you please let me know if you got any success fron the Bowen Therapy? Funny a friend of mine whi is very aware of my major back problems, mentioned this therapy today. Thanks alot
  • I'm sorry you are feeling a lot of depression. I think it's natural and I don't think anyone would blame you. I can sympathize with you as I have experienced a bit myself, and have seen it crush others around me.

Maybe your life won't be back to what it was... But that's not to say it won't be just as good later, or maybe even BETTER. I'm not sure what your beliefs are, but thinking that there is a reason for everything is of great comfort to me. I believe what's meant to be will be. Sometimes we don't see the reason for things at the present time. Later on, we just might, and it could make a lot of sense then.

I think you should give yourself more credit. Dealing with health issues along with depression and you are still getting up in the morning. You are still here today. You have the strength to get through to tomorrow... And the day after tomorrow. If you're holding on through all the curves and twists and major changes in your life, then you should pat yourself on the back. That in itself is something to take pride in.

I really hope things brighten up for you soon and you find peace of mind.

>:D<

• Not familiar with this
  • Thanks to everyone!

This is the hardest thing I've ever been through. The problem is I believe my doctor misdiagnosed me and that I could of tried just the brace. I got so worried as my injury became by his analysis unstable and I was concerened of losing other functions permanently. That combined with all the pain, restrictions is consuming all I think about. Obviously my fusion cannot be reversed but I still 2nd guess my decision. My Dr. just put me on celexa for depression. Has anyone been put on medicine for depression and did it help.

again thanks.

-mark
  • I am taking Lexapro and its is great.... I tried to get off of it about 3 months ago, and that was easy, but my wife noticed a difference in my demeanor; I was irrational, worried, isolated, and indecisive.

Lexapro helps with two different symptoms, depressiona and anxiety. It has allowed me to think positively and logically, while also allowing me to sleep at night because my mind is not racing / over analyzing my problems.

Best wishes to you,
  • I've been dealing with depression too since my surgery. I've even had panic attacks, which I've never had before. They are stemmed from exactly what you said...how my life won't be the`same. I love what Lo said (above) and I try to work on my outlook. But I am struggling with all this empty time during recovery. I tried to work for 2 hours on Thursday and ended up in pain and physically/emotionally drained, wondering how I'll ever be able to work. I have 3 court cases on Tuesday, and I'm having to get help with those along with all of my work. My mom is even driving me, and it's hard because part of me is almost shouting THIS IS RIDICULOUS! I think I am still in denial at times and I resent this happened to me. My acute episode came without warning, and surgery was my only option. I wasn't even sure what the sugery was called and only got the details afterward. This means I didn't get to research it or plan at all (or mentally prepare) like I normally would and I'm still finding out the downside no one told me. So I think I understand some of what you are feeling.

I am not taking antidepressants (but am considering it), but I have heard good things about celexa. It's in the same family as lexapro. With all antidepressants, they are designed to provide a floor and a ceiling for your depression. You may still have down times, but they will be manageable.

I have a counselor I started seeing who I hope will help me mentally adjust to all this. Please remember what you are feeling is normal, and we can get used to anything. I am working on my outlook--and praying for all of us that there will be good things coming soon. Hang in there!

Haylie
  • That's the thing about going ahead with spine surgery, it cannot be undone. Second guessing ourselves is quite natural, the key though is to get past that. I'm fortunate in the fact that I tend to have the ability to turn mud into a mansion. I see other doors open as one door closes.

I am suffering now from complications due to surgery on my neck that has already resulted in more surgery and if they can figure out how to fix me sometime in the future, of course will mean another delicate surgery. I had a surgeon ask me if it was worth it. He wanted to know if I regretted the decision to have the surgery that has caused this. I told him how could I regret something that has allowed me to get back to doing much of what I used to do. Without the surgery I wouldn't be able to do any of this, so to be able to do most of it again is a plus.

I could probably be depressed about the current state of my body, but I refuse to. I'm not saying that's what you need to do, I'm just telling you that's what it takes for me.

If I were to second guess myself ... well ... I just can't do that.

I don't know if this makes any sense in regards to what you are asking. Hope it does.

Hang in there,

"C"
  • I have been on Celexa.. Made me EXTREMELY irritable and I had an insatiable appetite. Nothing ever hit the spot so it made me want to eat and eat and eat. Mom had that same experience.

I have also tried Prozac... Did absolutely nothing.

I have tried Depakote (Valproic Acid) for mood fluxuations and it made my hair fall out in clumps and I gained 10 lbs in two weeks.

I was on Buspar (Buspirone) for anxiety years ago and it didn't help.

Only thing that ever worked for me is Wellbutrin. 450mg a day. I currently take it and it makes a world of difference. I don't get sharp chest pain anymore, and I used to get it on a daily basis, multiple times a day. All physical tests, CT scan, x rays, EKG, Echocardiagram, etc... All showed nothing wrong. They said they thought it was anxiety and stress... And Wellbutrin made it go away. It's a great med. There are other uses for it, too.. I know they can use it as a smoking cessation aid... Not entirely sure what else, but if you google it you can find a ton of info. On top of it killing anxiety and depression, I also lost 25 lbs! Lol.

Hope you find something that works for you :) Your doctor would most likely be willing to prescribe you something.. Especially because anxiety and stress can take a physical toll. Hope your night and weekend were alright. I wish you the best!
  • Nancy, maybe you saw it in my signature. I tried it last spring for 4 visits and it did nothing but give me a giant bruise on my butt. There are some success stories with it on line if you search. My massage therapist had it done for a tailbone injury and got some relief. Here is a web link:
    http://www.escalonnaturalhealth.com/home.nxg

I figure it doesn't hurt to try. It was done in a really relaxing invironment like a massage. I go there now for therapeutic massage, and I had more luck with that than Bowen.

Goodluck, Sue
  • Mark, I too am on antidepressants Zoloft and my Dr increased it prior to surgery. At the tiime I thought it unnecessary but I can see now she was thinking more clearly then I was :))(
    2 weeks ago I forgot for about 5 days to take my zoloft (didn't realise till later) and I had a pretty teary week which is very unusual for me.

On the whole I am pretty positive and I tend to look for the bright side of things. I said on another thread at some stage that I decided that my recovery time was going to be a mini holiday for me so I could do all sorts of theings I usually dont have time for.
    So I have been doing jigsaws (raised table) scrapbooking, sorting through photos and labelling them all eg all the things I want to do but never have time for.

Just know that you are not on your own
    Blessings Sara
  • Mark,
    I had some pretty bad thoughts in my recovery.
    I mean really bad thoughts!

The meds and the body chemistry combined with complications and the whole situation/reality made for a bad mix.

Every case is different, and "cheer up" just didn't cut it for me. Thankfully things got better. It wasn't easy and it didn't happen over night.

-----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Again thanks.

It's amazing all the responses and best wishes. I really appreciate. I'm not the type of person to pour my feelings out or would normally ever admit to being so depressed but I've certainly realized I'm at the point. Fortuneatly I have a very very supportive wife. Just started on Celexa and see how it works for me and if not will look at some other meds as mentioned.

thanks.

-mark

advertisement