Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MBT shoes...anyone tried them?

phyllis_gapphyllis_ga Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone tried these shoes after lumbar fusion surgery?
I'm about to head back to work and I looking for new footwear that will help me endure long hours.
Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• I don't recall hearing about them. What are they like, and why do they recommend them after surgery? As far as I know, the only requirements for shoes after surgery is that they be comfortable, relatively flat with non-skid soles.

Kin
  • I was also looking at these and I posted a thread in another forum. I think it was the exercise one.
    I have tried a pair and checked with my o/s about them and he said fine if i wanted to pay that but exercise is better and will do the same.
    Mind you if you are in a job where you are standing a lot I can see the benefit as it really gets your core stability muscles working.
    I have seen similar shoes in the Homiped range and am going out today to try them as they are a 1/4 of the price and I need shoes anyway.
    The MBTS do have a money back garantee for I think 3 months but check on that first.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • KIN, the shoes are like a running shoe- lace ups etc but the soul of the shoe is in the shape of a rocker (like a rocking horse). They aparently were designed based on a tribe in Africa who walk all the time and have wonderful backs :))(
    I do one exercise at physio standing on a rocking board and it feels like this.
    I really liked the feel of them as it made you 'turn on' your muscles. They are quite expensive though (AUS about $350 ) so that is the drawback.

Sara O:)
  • And have been wearing them for walking; I like them. I use them with some poles, to engage my upper back as well when walking (at recommendation of PT).

I found the MBTs to be less jarring on my back when I step onto hard surfaces, due to the curved sole and some cushioning at the heel. But as Sara mentions above, they are expensive (about $250 US).

I don't think that you would want to use them right after surgery, however. They do have a degree of instability built into them (on purpose), so I'd advise you to use these later in your recovery, if you do get a pair.

Following surgery, I think you should be sure of your footing for the first month or more. I think you'll be best served with some slip-on shoes early on. If/when to incorporate these into your recovery program probably should be something for you to discuss with your surgeon and/or PT.

Best wishes for your surgery!
  • a pair of the Homiped ones today but will only wear them around the house until I can get the physio to check them.

That wasy if she is not happy I can return them.

Sara O:)
  • Thanks Sara,

I have actually seen these, just did not know what they are called. Do you like them? They looked kind of strange, I was not sure if they make you feel like you are using your balance.

Kin
  • i saw something i think may be similar the other day, but they are flip flops for summer not shoes...they are called fit flops, and have a curved sole. i was thinking of getting them, now i think i will!!

oh and Julieann, i wore stillettoes to a party on friday night, and danced in them and my surgery was 5 march! so you never know, you may be wearing them yet
  • I'm going to sound like an old granny here...but you younger gals who are so eager to get back into stilletto heeled shoes are really asking for trouble down the road...particularly if you have recently had back surgery.

We can all read the statistics that prove that if you have had one back surgery, your chances that you will have additional back surgeries go up exponentially.

We also know that wearing any type of high heels has the potential to throw the spine out of alignment. For every fraction of an inch you add to the heel, the rest of your body has to compensate somehow in order to remain upright. When heels are worn, the muscles of the legs, hips and pelvis contract differently as a result of lifting the foot — this leads to an alteration of spinal shape, which increases forces through the spine. Wearing heels rotates the pelvis forward, increasing the arch in the bottom of the spine. This overloads the joints in the lower vertebrae and can cause acute inflammation and eventually leads to the degeneration of discs.

I guess it's OK to wear high heels every once in awhile for special occasions...but please think about the potential consequences. When you are older, you will still want to be out leading an active life, not home nursing degenerative disk disease!

• i did ask my surgeon whether I should now put my salsa dancing shoes on Ebay and he advised me not to just yet. When I put the MBTs on I really felt the pull in my leg muscles, so only put them on for a short while.
  • was crocs for me. I can slid in and out and they have alot of cushion. I know that they are probably not the best choice, but for me right now they work well.
  • I went to a local REI type store and tried on a pair of MBT. I love the way they felt; however, the sale rep. advised me to ask my surgeon before purchasing them. Huh?! Didn't even consider that. Since I am still in recovery and probably most doc. are not familiar with MBT, I am going to hold off inquiring about MBT.

Meanwhile I just bought a pair of New Balance trail shoes. It has a pair of blue inserts that provide extra cushion and an clever design to pull the shoe laces tight (like a corset). It is really comfortable.

• Hi, all.

I'm resurrecting this string because I want to let you know that I bought some MBT shoes about 2 weeks prior to surgery (my physical therapist thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread -- they really take the load off joints). Once I started walking for any length of time (about June 22nd), I began wearing them. So far, I've walked just under 100 miles in them and cannot believe how comfortable they are!

I've continued to have some calf pain, mostly upon waking, and when I'm walking in these shoes the pain is gone.

Of course you should check with your surgeon, primary-care physician, and/or physical therapist before investing in a pair, but if he or she is in favor of your using them, you'll be in for a real treat. (Oh, and I have very narrow feet, and though they aren't made in a narrow width, they fit perfectly. There's a lot of room to tighten the laces as much as needed.)

Hope this helps someone out there who's looking for some good walking shoes. :D

Rose
  • You slip right in them because of bungee cord laces. My Mother bought similar rockport with no laces and they are more comfortable than my Sketchers. They cost quite a bit though not as much as MBT. Good luck if you buy them. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I don't often take time to get involved with posting to things like this, but my experience with MBT shoes is worth the effort if it helps anyone. I had a few back injuries and finally needed back surgery. My place of work demanded I come back to work earlier than my physical therapist thought I should. I re-injured my back less than a month later. I didn't need surgery again, but ended up working and living in pain for months. Pain was in my back, then in my left hip so bad I limped as I walked. Then I started having plantar fasciitis (heel pain) in the left foot which started to move into my right, I guess because I couldn't walk straight. I knew I had to do something. A friend at work told me to watch the videos on MBT shoes. She said she wore them. I did. I finally decided to risk trying them figuring the outrageous price was less than several co-pays to the physical therapist, the only other alternative I could think of to do. It was the best decision ever. Almost immediately the plantar fasciitis cleared up and in less than a month, my hip and back pain were totally gone. It had been about 9 months since my newest injury and was only getting worse, not better since then. I enjoyed the "workout" from the shoes, it felt good. Getting rid of the pain was the best. I only wear MBT's now - bought only from the Main MBT website's authorized dealers to make sure I don't end up with phony fakes. They are out there and do not have the same technology built into them. You can get hurt wearing those. I have told several of my co-workers about these shoes. My manager bought them. She is on her feet all day. She said after wearing the MBT's that she could go home and still had energy to walk and do house work where she would only want to collapse into a chair before. They really can help. I highly recommend them! I have been wearing them about 4 years now and have not injured my back again! My heel pain has not returned either. Yes, they are a little ugly, but comfort and lack of pain are more important to me.
advertisement